Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice areas to live in south east london

Options
  • 08-03-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    Just moved over and looking for a nice area to live in south east London.
    is anyone living in Dartford or have any experience staying there. This is the area we are looking to rent but open to any other suggestions close by too?!!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

i stayed in greenwich before for a few weeks, was a lovely area i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I live in Rotherhithe (SE16) and absolutely love it.

I live in Rotherhithe (SE16) and absolutely love it.

Expensive to rent there?

I think it's good value. We have a small but modern one bed flat on a canal a few minutes from Canada Water tube for £1200 pcm. Not sure if you can get anything for much less but you get more for your money further from the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jake66

Herne Hill SE24 is a lovely area, just two stops from Victoria Station.
    Of course I would say that as I was born there a long time ago.
    I was back there last year and was surprised that it had a village feeling to it.
    Not sure what the rents are like, not cheap I,m sure....

• Advertisement

quite general i know but is south east london cheaper to rent compared to say north,west london etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

zweton wrote: »
    quite general i know but is south east london cheaper to rent compared to say north,west london etc?

In general, yes – although the very cheapest areas are far east London out towards Essex - Dagenham, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

allic wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just moved over and looking for a nice area to live in south east London.
    is anyone living in Dartford or have any experience staying there. This is the area we are looking to rent but open to any other suggestions close by too?!!

Thanks! :)

Dartford is ok, I've never lived there but driven through it. It is technically in kent though. Also not on a tube line so you are reliant on national rail services until 2018/19 when cross rail will be there.

Dartford sounds like a strange place to be looking at - did you mean Deptford by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 allic

no Dartford!! my partner has got work there and I have secured a job just outside Maidstone. our theory was that if he could walk to or be dropped to work and I could take car to Maidstone it would be a lot easier then trying to drive towards London in the mornings with traffic etc. went down for a drive and didn't get a great feeling from the place or that there was a lot going on but it may have to do for a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

allic wrote: »
    no Dartford!! my partner has got work there and I have secured a job just outside Maidstone. our theory was that if he could walk to or be dropped to work and I could take car to Maidstone it would be a lot easier then trying to drive towards London in the mornings with traffic etc. went down for a drive and didn't get a great feeling from the place or that there was a lot going on but it may have to do for a while!

Fundamentally neither place is in London,Dartford is on the M25, Maidstone far outside it. It would be silly to consider living in London and working in either of those two area cost wise. Decide whether you want country or town life then pick based on that.

Advertisement