Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Dublin

Options
  • 08-03-2015 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am from outside Dublin, looking to buy a 2 bed with garden and parking for under 300,000, and seeking advice on areas.

I'm trying to strike a compromise between having these features and a short commute into the city centre. Slight preference for Southside over Northside and have narrowed it down to D8, esp. around Inchicore.

I realise Dublin is very mixed with 'good' and 'bad' areas almost side-by-side, so I'd really appreciate advice from residents who can give the local insight. What are the areas around the Tenters/Liberties/Coombe like to live in? Are the parts of Crumlin/Drimnagh bordering on Kilmainham/Harold's Cross likely to improve? Are there 'no-go' parts of D8 I should be completely ruling out, or pleasant parts I might not have considered? Looking for broad advice at this stage so I can get started on my search. Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Only place you have mentioned there I personally would consider would be kilmainham or Harold's cross.
    Avoid crumlin and drimnagh.
    The coombe etc would not be ideal to live in but if you ever wanted to rent it out in the future they would rent easy.
    What about somewhere on the train line ?
    You would get a nice house in Clonsilla (village) for €300k it's a nice area (the village part) train station is right beside you and about 20 mins into town.
    And no management fees either.
    For €300k you should get something nice somewhere best of luck

MajellaNKM wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am from outside Dublin, looking to buy a 2 bed with garden and parking for under 300,000, and seeking advice on areas.

I'm trying to strike a compromise between having these features and a short commute into the city centre. Slight preference for Southside over Northside and have narrowed it down to D8, esp. around Inchicore.

I realise Dublin is very mixed with 'good' and 'bad' areas almost side-by-side, so I'd really appreciate advice from residents who can give the local insight. What are the areas around the Tenters/Liberties/Coombe like to live in? Are the parts of Crumlin/Drimnagh bordering on Kilmainham/Harold's Cross likely to improve? Are there 'no-go' parts of D8 I should be completely ruling out, or pleasant parts I might not have considered? Looking for broad advice at this stage so I can get started on my search. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It depends on what you think is torrabarble? Are you the sort of person that's intimidated as soon as they see a hoody or are you not adverse to telling someone to feck off?

Most of Dublin 8 is a working class area. The vast majority of it is grand. Oliver Bond is about the only 'no-go' area, but it's all social housing so you won't be buying there anyway. Pimlico wouldn't be somewhere I'd live either but that's just me.

The problem with Dublin 8 is the diversity of areas. Some areas on the South Circular Road (SCR) are lovely and home to at least one retired Ambassador and one Supreme Court Judge.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Renting around Blackpitts for the past 5 years, and although the liberties/tenters etc is probably a bit rough around the edges I'd consider it fairly safe overall, much the same as Inchicore where I worked for a few years. But there are nicer parts of D8 some as mentioned above. (Its such a large post code its hard to sum up really).

Just go to plenty of viewings do your homework and get familiar with places you are most leaning towards of buying in I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Romcomgal

I've lived in Drimnagh all my life and I've never had any sort of problem with anti social behaviour, it's actually a really nice area with a very friendly hard working community. There are definitely parts of drimnagh that aren't great, but sure you could say that about any area. All of the roads towards the drimnagh road end of Drimnagh are very quiet, say around Brandon, Mangerton and Comeragh so take a look around there. The bus routes are second to none so you never wait long on a bus and you fly into town. Plenty of local amenities as well. Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Would you not consider one of them bog standard houses in Killiney?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Think about what is important for your life - ? schools, ?parks, ?hospital ?concerts ?restaurants ? beach etc......plot the "top 10" on a map and you may get some idea of where would suit. Try to rent first to get an idea of Dublin transport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

I know the tenters reasonably well. Spent quite a lot of time there on and off with an ex for a few years it's a grand
    area.
    Quiet and relaxed in my opinion.
    And it's walking distance to grafton St and DIT .
    Saying that tho there are rough streets near by but as a whole the tenters is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Other things to think about are car parking,if relevant, kids playground (?noise), security if you are out all day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Would you not consider one of them bog standard houses in Killiney?

Viewings for tomorrow evening

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Chah

Lived in drimnagh for ten yrs. only prob for us is we've outgrown our house. Only part to avoid ( in my opinion!) is around lissadel. West of mourne rd church is a grand area....3 miles to town......but it's horses for courses- if kids in hoodys and people with dublin accents intimidate you then it's not for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MajellaNKM

Thanks everyone for your replies, they've been a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

How did you get on OP? House hunting at the moment and also considering Dublin 8 so would appreciate any insight you've picked up on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

MajellaNKM wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have you looked in Dublin 15. You Will get a nice house for that budget

http://www.daft.ie/11059049

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

people in dublin accents,
    its hard to avoid em in dublin.
    95 per cent of people i meet with dublin accents are fine .
    Having a dublin accent means you were maybe born on the northside ,not from a middle class area .
    thats about it.
    ITS nothing to be afraid of .

plenty of houses in santry , phibsboro, clonsilla dublin west ,are under 300k.
    MY advice don,t buy close to a council housing block,eg within 5 minutes walk of one .
    The coombe ,libertys is ok, but you ,ll be limited to on street parking,
    unless you find a house with a small front garden ,parking space.
    Stay away from the large council houseing block in dublin 8.

Look on daft.ie dublin under 250k,
    theres always small 2 bed cottages going for sale all around the city centre .
    don,t buy too close to a pub ,eg within 200 yards of one .
    You have have a good choice,
    most house s are under 300k,
    unless its an area like,goatstown,dublin 4, rathmines,clontarf etc

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Chah wrote: »
    Lived in drimnagh for ten yrs. only prob for us is we've outgrown our house. Only part to avoid ( in my opinion!) is around lissadel. West of mourne rd church is a grand area....3 miles to town......but it's horses for courses- if kids in hoodys and people with dublin accents intimidate you then it's not for you.

Can I ask why you would recommend against Lissadel? Honest curiosity as there's some great property on Lissadel Ave at what appear to be great prices. Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

<snip>

To be honest, I can think of a handful of good parks in the city. The ones that don't consist of flat land and empty grass pitches but instead have woodland and waterways, they are predominantly in high value areas. Southside or northside.

Advertisement