Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pear Tree Question

Options
  • 08-03-2015 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one. I have a Williams pear tree in my garden for about four years. It blossoms every year. I only put in a pollinator (Conference) last November. Do you think there's a chance of getting pears off the older tree this year? I read that it takes a few years for a tree to fruit but wasn't sure if this included the years without being pollinated. Don't know why it took me so long to get her a mate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Depends on the age of the Williams? How old was it when planted? And did you prune it in the first 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

If she flowers, and the pollen is available, the chances are good, in my opinion. That said, pear trees can be temperamental about fruiting at the best of times: even my very old, very reliable Conference had "off" years for no discernable reason, even when I had seen bees around it.
    So cross your fingers, you might be lucky. And if not, be patient, next year's will be delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Niall_daaS wrote: »
    Depends on the age of the Williams? How old was it when planted? And did you prune it in the first 4 years?

I don't know how old it was unfortunately. It was an impulse buy in Lidl with no research on my part. I haven't pruned it ever. Please let this be a positive...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

livinsane wrote: »
    I don't know how old it was unfortunately. It was an impulse buy in Lidl with no research on my part. I haven't pruned it ever. Please let this be a positive...

Over here in Germany LIDL sells 1 year old fruit trees (they are doing it right now this week btw) so now your tree should be about 5 years old. We tell customers it might take 3- 7 years until fruits grow regularly each year depending on pollination and pruning. Depending on where you live it's not necessary to plant a second tree because if there is any matching tree in a bees flight distance it will be grand. Regarding pruning: if you don't ever prune the tree you will get fruits anyway. If you prune the tree correctly chances you get more fruits are bigger. If you're not planning on selling them as an important business just forget this, because the tree might carry enough for you. But a tree mostly is a life long decision. By pruning it in the first years (and repeat it on a regular base) you have the opportunity to form the crown in a way that makes him last remarkable longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Thanks for your advice guys. I will do my homework on pruning and take care of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DarrellW

I bought a dwarf pear tree last year at The Garden House in Malahide. Like a big eejit, I've managed to lose its details, although I think it's either a Beure hardy or a Doyen de Comice.

It's in a big pot and is very healthy - especially after I fed it a smoothie...

Does anyone fancy babysitting it early next year for a while or me looking after yours for a bit so as to cross pollinate?

Advertisement