Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car

Options
  • 08-03-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hi all , i am looking to buy a new car. this will be my 2nd car having had a 03 vw golf which has served me well. My budget now is 9000 but i would be willing to hold out for a couple of more weeks to get it to 12000 if needed. I dont know a whole pile about cars so am looking for some help. so far the conclusions i have come to are a bmw 5 series or an audi a4. It would have to be diesel. right now i am looking at bmw along the lines of a a 06 bmw 320d se for 8500 but am worried of the timing chain issues which is putting me off buying a bmw is there any bmw between 05 and 09 that dont have this issue, my second option would be to hold out a few more weeks for an audi such as a 08 audi a4 tdi 143bhp se for around 12000 but they tend to have high mileage if i spend 12000 on a car surely is should expect less mileage than 120000 miles or is that ok? i have my heart set on a bmw or audi but would listen to other recomendations also should i buy from a dealer or privately and how much should i expect to haggle a dealer down to ? any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lfc13 wrote: »
    hi all , i am looking to buy a new car. this will be my 2nd car having had a 03 vw golf which has served me well. My budget now is 9000 but i would be willing to hold out for a couple of more weeks to get it to 12000 if needed. I dont know a whole pile about cars so am looking for some help. so far the conclusions i have come to are a bmw 5 series or an audi a4. It would have to be diesel. right now i am looking at bmw along the lines of a a 06 bmw 320d se for 8500 but am worried of the timing chain issues which is putting me off buying a bmw is there any bmw between 05 and 09 that dont have this issue, my second option would be to hold out a few more weeks for an audi such as a 08 audi a4 tdi 143bhp se for around 12000 but they tend to have high mileage if i spend 12000 on a car surely is should expect less mileage than 120000 miles or is that ok? i have my heart set on a bmw or audi but would listen to other recomendations also should i buy from a dealer or privately and how much should i expect to haggle a dealer down to ? any help would be appreciated

That logic simply doesn't work. The cars you are looking at cost about €34k when they were new. The reason they are costing around €12k now is because of their age, mileage and condition. Also you will find that 120k miles is going to be fairly standard mileage for a now 7 year old diesel car that was driving for it's intended purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Timing chain doesn't affect the 320d up until approx 07 when the engine changed to N47.

163bhp engine in the years your looking at will be fine. I put 80k miles on one of those engines and traded in at 150k miles with no engine issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lfc13

PaulKK wrote: »
    Timing chain doesn't affect the 320d up until approx 07 when the engine changed to N47.

163bhp engine in the years your looking at will be fine. I put 80k miles on one of those engines and traded in at 150k miles with no engine issues.

so all 2005 and 2006 should be ok with this issue. is it the same story with the 5 series up as far as 07?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lfc13

bazz26 wrote: »
    That logic simply doesn't work. The cars you are looking at cost about €34k when they were new. The reason they are costing around €12k now is because of their age, mileage and condition. Also you will find that 120k miles is going to be fairly standard mileage for a now 7 year old diesel car that was driving for it's intended purpose.

in your opinion do you think it is worth spending that much on an audi a4 if it was well looked after, had a dealer warranty and good service history?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

lfc13 wrote: »
    so all 2005 and 2006 should be ok with this issue. is it the same story with the 5 series up as far as 07?

Yes all 05 and 06 320ds will be fine.

5 series got the new engine earlier, you would need to check the bhp, 177 would be the new engine.

Edit:actually it looks like all E60s had the new engine so probably best avoided.

In saying that my uncle bought a 07 520d with that engine recently and it has no chain issues @130k miles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement