Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you allow an irrelevant Advert on YouTube to play without clicking "Skip Ad"

Options
  • 08-03-2015 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

So, you get an advertisement running for 1 minute, say, before the YouTube video you wish to watch. It irrelevant to you, but it's not an unbearable intolerable ad either. Will you press the Skip button? I have no ads myself on YouTube.

Would you let a completely irrelevant Advert of 1 minute play out? 20 votes

I always press Skip Ad when this button becomes active
    0% 0 votes
    If I had'nt seen the Ad before, I'd let it play through
    100% 20 votes
    If I saw the Ad before, I'd press Skip Ad
    0% 0 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Poll made unpublic, in this case there is no need to know who has voted for a particular option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

As soon as it's active that button is pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Depends if I find the ad interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

Have adblock on everything except mobile. So on mobile I click skip ad the second it comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GBrownie

Sometimes I like to watch if ad seems interesting or something new in the ad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Not only do I skip it but sometimes I actually spend the time looking for a different version of it that doesnt have the ad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Yeah, poll could do with another option - if the ad's interesting/entertaining I'll watch it. Otherwise I skip.

The ads always annoy me, though - I resent companies that put their ads forcibly before me if I want to watch something. On RTE Player I'll put it to silent and set a timer to skip them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

On RTE Player I'll put it to silent and set a timer to skip them.

Oh yes, RTE player told me on Friday that as I was using ad blocking software that I needed to disable it for RTE player.

Solution - watch something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Meh, I won't bother with adding another option now. But thanks for replies.

Another spin on my own opinion is that if the ad is shyte but is only 30 seconds, I'll let it play out. So Next time the chances of a shyte 5 minute ad being offered will be reduced.

Once in a blue moon, the long ads can be good too!
    I watched a 3 minute 'ad' about Funny Stuff the other day ('The 10 most rediculous laws'), which was longer than the youtube video. The 'ad' was quite entertaining, glad I watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Depends on a number of factors really.

If the ad grabs my attention, I'll watch it. If I'm more listening to YouTube than watching and YT is open in another tab, I'll let an ad run rather than switching back. If it's a YouTuber I watch a lot, I'll let the ad play every now and then, even click on one occassionally just so they get a few pennies.

If it's a music video I'll always skip though. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kaloshma

I will definately skip the ads, but if i happen to like the video. By like i mean informative and am willing to download it, then i will rewatch the video for like 5 more times just to increase page view and help make money.
    This like my best way of payback for the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

kaloshma wrote: »
    I will definately skip the ads, but if i happen to like the video. By like i mean informative and am willing to download it, then i will rewatch the video for like 5 more times just to increase page view and help make money.
    This like my best way of payback for the good work.

Just to say, unless you watch the ad on those subsequent views, the person still gets nothing, unless they're doing an affiliate deal (y'know, the new trend of ads in the actual videos themselves?). Views on the video != Money.

Advertisement