Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT courses better employability than University ones?

Options
  • 08-03-2015 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

This isn't an IT vs. UNI slanging match.

I attend an IT because I didn't matriculate to get into an NUI due to dropping French at school (horrible mistake in hindsight) even though I had the points.

Plan is to get a higher cert and then transfer to NUI. My current GPA is over 70% so should be no problem at all ☺

Some of my friends have taken a weird reaction to the news. I have explained my reasons being a uni has better reputation, better employability. More professional. Better standard of critical thinking.

The reply I got was 'I know IT graduates that have jobs and NUI ones that dont'

To clarify the IT students are retail/hotel graduates working in a call centre and the NUI ones are arts graduates.

Any thoughts? I was shocked by their resistance. So many other people agree a UNI is better for employability. Not all courses maybe but I'm talking about commerce > business

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

PLL wrote: »
    This isn't an IT vs. UNI slanging match.

I attend an IT because I didn't matriculate to get into an NUI due to dropping French at school (horrible mistake in hindsight) even though I had the points.

Plan is to get a higher cert and then transfer to NUI. My current GPA is over 70% so should be no problem at all ☺

Some of my friends have taken a weird reaction to the news. I have explained my reasons being a uni has better reputation, better employability. More professional. Better standard of critical thinking.

The reply I got was 'I know IT graduates that have jobs and NUI ones that dont'

To clarify the IT students are retail/hotel graduates working in a call centre and the NUI ones are arts graduates.

Any thoughts? I was shocked by their resistance. So many other people agree a UNI is better for employability. Not all courses maybe but I'm talking about commerce > business

It dépends on the individual but I would tend to agree.
    I don't understand tge snobbery aroubd ITs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Show me a job advertisement (or job descriptor, for that matter) that states "degree from a university".

More common is "degree from a recognised third level institution".

'nuff said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Traditionally (!) the ITs had better and more formal links with industry, so in some areas their degrees were more tailored to what was wanted, but I agree with Tom, a degree is a degree.

Advertisement