Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary Post-grad Education

Options
  • 08-03-2015 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I am asking this on behalf of my gf, she is considering moving to Ireland. She is a final year Vet student in an EU country, and will soon graduate.

She is interested in post-grad education, mainly hands on experience in a clinical setting. We've had a look on the UCD website and most post-grad courses that interest her are online, she is more looking for on site work.

Do you know of any other chances for gaining experience or education in Ireland, in a clinical setting? Are there any programs like internships? She wouldn't mind an unpaid or low-paid position as long as she would be gaining experience.

I am in Dublin , so she is looking to move to Dublin too.

Thanks for your time !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

There are 8 one year Intern positions available in UCD Veterinary Hospital. Closing date is next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Thanks for the pointer. I looked into it and unfortunately the dates won't match! I was wondering if any private vets around Dublin would take students as interns or trainees with low pay, but can't find anything online about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

Jezek wrote: »
    Thanks for the pointer. I looked into it and unfortunately the dates won't match! I was wondering if any private vets around Dublin would take students as interns or trainees with low pay, but can't find anything online about it.

Generally they just employ a vet instead (also for low pay!).

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Sorry, I didn't mean to say student! i meant recent graduate, with no experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

Jezek wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say student! i meant recent graduate, with no experience!

Lots of Irish vets will employ recent grads without experience. Obviously it's harder, but some will take on recent grads all the same. Don't ignore a job ad just because it says experience required, you still have a good shot at a job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I know the DSPCA have taken those sorts of interns before (new grads with little experience) to work as volunteers. She would need to be registered with the VCI though.

Advertisement