Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 World Cup - Day 24 - Eng v Ban

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Bangladesh have been a solid ODI team for a couple years now and they arent to be laughed at.

I actually expected them to win and they have. England choked vs them in 2011 too

Has to be the end of Morgans England career too. Far far worse captain than Cook if that was possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

booth70 wrote: »
    Why would you want him back???..... He has been very poor as a batsman for a long time and from the looks of it an uninspiring captain too

Bit unfair - surely Morgan has been under a lot of pressure. Take that away and it'd be very different. Of course you can argue that the really great players in any sport play well under real pressure. But hey, we could sure use his talents again if it comes to that :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Dickerty wrote: »
    Great, we'll take him back, but he'd have to be fully our of the England set-up for prob 2 years before that happens...
    Why would we want him back now? Batting is our strong point and we'd be better continuing to develop new talent for now. Our bowling really needs Rankin back though, but he's been playing for the Lions recently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Why would we want him back now? Batting is our strong point and we'd be better continuing to develop new talent for now. Our bowling really needs Rankin back though, but he's been playing for the Lions recently

To be fair to him, while 28 is not that young, he still has a few years on the likes of NOB (33) Joyce (36) Porterfield and KOB (both 30), so he could offer something to us.

I'd take him back gladly, he is brutally out of form and been the biggest flop of the world cup, but he isn't an awful player, maybe out of the toxic England bubble would reinvigorate him? Worth a punt for me.

• Advertisement

When Malaysia cricket is taking the piss, you have a problem:pac:

https://twitter.com/MalaysiaCricket/status/574899119635955712
    When can we play @ECB_cricket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Morgan bashing is go I see.
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    Get Gillespy in.
    I'm busy.:pac:
    Has to be the end of Morgans England career too. Far far worse captain than Cook if that was possible
    No its not and no he isn't. Morgan was lumped with the job with only a short tri-series to go and given a team all over the place. Hales and Cook were supposed to be their openers, Bopara as their all-rounder, Taylor at no. 3. England's problems aren't Morgan. Moores and the hierarchy have more to answer for.

Peter Moores actually said this in a post match interview.

Andrew Miller @miller_cricket ·
    Peter Moores: "We thought 275 was chaseable. We'll have to look at the data." Genuine quote! #CWC15

Ex cricinfo editor btw, in case its someone causing mischief.:eek::eek:

Gillespy wrote: »

No its not and no he isn't. Morgan was lumped with the job with only a short tri-series to go and given a team all over the place. Hales and Cook were supposed to be their openers, Bopara as their all-rounder, Taylor at no. 3. England's problems aren't Morgan. Moores and the hierarchy have more to answer for.

Its three match losing innings from him though.

He laboured to 17 of 47 against NZ and then a horror slog of Vettori which lead to an England collapse. He scored 27 of 47 against Lanka on a road when England were in control when batting first. That slow innings meant Joss was left with to much to do when he came in.

Today a duck in a must win game.

I don't mind the guy, and yeah captaining this shower is no fun, but without been cruel if you can name me 3 or even 1 or 2 bigger flops from the test sides in this World Cup, I'l buy you a pint and a mars bar. :eek:

Still want him back though!!

Gillespy wrote: »

This is England though, they'll look for a scapegoat to blame everything on and he fits the bill.

Plus regardless of results his form has been absolutely terrible. I personally cant see him surviving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

When Malaysia cricket is taking the piss, you have a problem:pac:

https://twitter.com/MalaysiaCricket/status/574899119635955712

Japan Cricket Assoc. @CricketJapan · 36m 36 minutes ago
    Dear @ECB_cricket, this might not be a great time, but as there's room in your schedule, fancy a game in Japan on the way home? #challenge

https://twitter.com/CricketJapan/status/574907892786053121

Not sure if this is their official account but everyone is trolling ECB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Just waiting for the Dutch to offer them a T20 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

He laboured to 17 of 47 against NZ and then a horror slog of Vettori which lead to an England collapse. He scored 27 of 47 against Lanka on a road when England were in control when batting first. That slow innings meant Joss was left with to much to do when he came in.

I don't mind the guy, and yeah captaining this shower is no fun, but without been cruel if you can name me 3 or even 1 or 2 bigger flops from the test sides in this World Cup, I'l buy you a pint and a mars bar. :eek:

West Indies and Zimbabwe haven't shown much, let's wait to see what Pakistan do. It's only India, NZ and Australia that can really say they're proud of their work so far. Lots of average teams.

That's not to excuse England, they've been shockingly bad. But they went into this winging it and with no real form. Sacking the captain just before and then reshuffling the team needlessly for the first game is all wrong. The talent is there, I give them a chance going into most games because of it but too often they're exposed in one day cricket. Another change of captain isn't going to help. That didn't work last time and neither did changing coach but then they appointed the wrong coach. Hopefully Morgan has a good IPL and gets back in form to lead them this summer. I take no pleasure in seeing him fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

English sports fan. "Our captain has just got four ducks in a row"

American sports fan "Way to go! I like a guy who's organized!"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well hes definitely not the only one to blame for a poor batting performance with England.

Balance - 10 runs scored against each of Australia, New Zealand and Scotland... 6 against Sri Lanka. Was far worse!

Amongst the other test playing nations. Here's some decent candidates

For Pakistan, Jamshed opened in 3 games. His scores were 4, 1 and 0.
    Younis Khan's first two games saw him go 6, 0 before he was dropped for 2 games and then brought back in in the last game for a mediocre 37.

I and I think a lot of people expected more from Dwayne Smith from the West Indies. As an opening batsman he went 18(ireland), 23(pakistan), 0(zimbabwe), 31(south africa), 6(India)

Thats 4 good candidates for worse performances than Morgan and there's plenty more besides them!

I'll definitely get you for a pint sometime! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

This is the era of scores of 400+ and 50 ball hundreds.....

It's about time England starts taking competitions like the IPL and Big Bash seriously and allows its players to play in it if it wants its one day cricket fortunes to improve

The amount of times commentators like Bumble Lloyd have rubbished the IPL is staggering given the impact T20 has had on one day cricket and the same foolish mentality reflects in the way England play their one day cricket

I would have loved to see England in the last 8 bcos of players like Root and Buttler but based on the way they have approached one day cricket over the last few years I'd say good riddance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

England got what we deserved. No surprise really. Have only got past the group twice in last 5 world cups. Huge sweeping changes needed. Lose the old stagers and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

If England lose this and Ireland make the quarters it could be a turning point for Irish cricket

According to the Sunday Times yesterday, Ireland (with 5 victories) have beaten more test nations at the cricket world cup since 2007 than England.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

booth70 wrote: »
    This is the era of ... 50 ball hundreds
    That's still KOB only territory in World Cups. Looked like the record would go a couple of times already in this WC but Maxwell ended up needing 51 balls and ABdV 52 to get to 100 (though he then got another 62 off 14 balls).

Here's hoping tonight Stirling breaks the 100 record and goes on to make the fastest WC double and then KOB comes out at the death to reclaim his record :D

Peter Moores actually said this in a post match interview.

Andrew Miller @miller_cricket ·

Ex cricinfo editor btw, in case its someone causing mischief.:eek::eek:

stolen from twitter.

B_qRZe3WAAAqUcS.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Deise Vu wrote: »
    According to the Sunday Times yesterday, Ireland (with 5 victories) have beaten more test nations at the cricket world cup since 2007 than England.

Since 1996 Ireland's win rate against full members in the WC is 29%. England's rate is 27%. Damning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

B_p1OwRW8AECYW8.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I think the selection & performances of Balance pretty much sum up England's World Cup. If you lose you should still at least have the solace of, 'Well at least we gave it a go.' Not in England's case though. Seeing as as a methodology now in a modern World Cup playing it safe isn't actually safe at all, they really got what they deserved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

To be fair to him, while 28 is not that young, he still has a few years on the likes of NOB (33) Joyce (36) Porterfield and KOB (both 30), so he could offer something to us.

I'd take him back gladly, he is brutally out of form and been the biggest flop of the world cup, but he isn't an awful player, maybe out of the toxic England bubble would reinvigorate him? Worth a punt for me.
    Hm and when he rediscovers his form he'll be gone again after 2 years. I really dislike the guy but no one could deny that his talent when he's on form, but if he's on form he wont be playing for Ireland, he's made that clear. If he made a commitment to stay with Ireland then fair enough, but otherwise I'd rather the place going to someone who's going to advance Irish cricket

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sufa

Heard somebody at work today say that the England team at this world cup have been a national disgrace only matched by the fall of Singapore in 1942!

Absolutely dreadful though - hard to see where things can be improved too much in the short term. The players just aren't there for the ODI format.

With the resources, facilities and numbers who play in England it should have clicked in limited overs cricket by now, but apart from a bit of success in T20s it has been nothing short of horrendous for more than 20 years.

Also it seems to me as if the entire world really thrives on English misfortune at world cups. Its embarrassing that they are given so much ammunition to make classless jibes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Some laugh watching Nasser Hussien being critical of England. He spent about 10 years blocking. Made Geoff Boycott look like Glenn Maxwell on speed. Bangladesh deserved it but were handed it.

Advertisement