Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msap depression

Options
  • 08-03-2015 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I sat the msap yesterday and am feeling sick ever since. The essays were ok but I was lost on multipal choose. Am I alone on guessing all the multipal choose. Would love to know what others are thinking on the matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It might help if you explained what msap is.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Pos087

Tom Dunne wrote: »

If people don't know what it is they didn't sit it yesterday so won't have feed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gigi999

You are not alone! I sat it in Galway yesterday and I couldn't believe how difficult it was.. It was a lot tougher than the sample papers.. It was more like doing an English Literature exam... I kept reading back over the passages and had no clue what answers to put down on most of them... I can't imagine I got anywhere near a pass...

gigi999 wrote: »
    You are not alone! I sat it in Galway yesterday and I couldn't believe how difficult it was.. It was a lot tougher than the sample papers.. It was more like doing an English Literature exam... I kept reading back over the passages and had no clue what answers to put down on most of them... I can't imagine I got anywhere near a pass...
    I was on question 25 before I understood a question let alone the literature we were reading. I am so disappointed. I spend the last year doing a course and just because I'm not great at English will prob mean I won't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gigi999

I was the exact same.. Don't lose hope yet though.. it is tested on how everyone does and I think everyone was struggling with it.. So that will help a bit.. I had such a sinking feeling yesterday as well.. Had you done the sample papers beforehand.. they were a lot easier... What course are you trying to get onto?

• Advertisement

gigi999 wrote: »
    I was the exact same.. Don't lose hope yet though.. it is tested on how everyone does and I think everyone was struggling with it.. So that will help a bit.. I had such a sinking feeling yesterday as well.. Had you done the sample papers beforehand.. they were a lot easier... What course are you trying to get onto?
    Trying for psychology in ucc. I practiced the sample ones and was confident going in but couldn't understand neRly all the multipal choice. One guy in our centre lost it and tried to leave. They wouldn't let him leave so he sat down and light up a fag in the middle of the hall. What are you hoping to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Its test part of assessment for Mature students trying to return to 3rd level and is a requirement if hoping to attend some Universities/IT's.
    Pos087 wrote: »
    If people don't know what it is they didn't sit it yesterday so won't have feed back.
    It was a fair point made. MSAP doesn't mean anything.

Don't stress over the exam. It more than likely went much better than you are thinking it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

This thread would be better suited in the Mature Students sub-forum of the Edu section, imo.

I only say so because I've been looking for feedback on the MSAP myself... would have found this thread sooner if it were in the mature section.

Anyway, I sat it too - in Galway. Got through the essays OK, which is to say I filled the pages provided. Can't really say how they'll mark my essays - I'm not sure how sophisticated my point of view was.

The multiple choice was also OK ... the questions on Juevinile Court vs Criminal Court were tricky. Gave my best effort to deduce the right answers but didn't come away from that group of questions feeling as certain as I was about other answers. The cartoon of the businessman walking past the beggar was also tricky. The piece on laughter was mostly fine, but I think I might have gotten a question wrong ...the one that asks if he's expanding on a point, providing a dialectic that employs thesis/antithesis/synthesis, starting with one view and finishing with another...and some other option I forget.

can anyone remember the answers they gave for these ones ?

"Don't lose hope yet though.. it is tested on how everyone does "

actually, they mark each module with an individual score (marked out of 150, if I'm not mistaken) and then they also provided a percentile score - which is what you're referring to.
    From my research (reading all the MSAP threads on boards.ie posted over the past few years), the anecdotal evidence seems to suggest it is the individual score that counts as far as the University/College admins are concerned. But who knows. I'd say they expect a certain individual score, and if they've got more applicants than they have space for maybe then they refer to percentile ? *shrug*

anyway I also thought they relied on percentile scoring, so I was surprised to find out they do both.

Advertisement