Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any tips for helping cat put on weight?

• 08-03-2015 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I'm hoping someone might have some tips for helping a cat put on weight. We adopted our cat, Mercy, last summer. She suffers a bit with her eyes and after many different medications etc, the vet has decided she needs an operation to remove some skin from her lower eyelid as it look like it could be entropian.

Now, that unfortunately is not her only ailment. She suffers with gastro problems and I have been feeding her I/D, dry and wet, which she hardly touches. In general, she is a very bad eater. She only weighs 2.5kg, and the vet thinks she is approx. 10 y/o. I've tried mixing tuna etc into her food but shes not interested a lot of the time.

So with her dodgy tummy she isn't putting weight on, and she cant have the operation until she gets heavier. So if anyone has any tips I would really appreciate it, as we really want to get her happy and healthy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

You could try kitten glop. I will see if I can locate the recipe I have used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not all cats like tuna or fish; have you tried kitten food? Higher fat content which could help her eat more or chicken (meat only, hearts if possible)?

Nody is right. Royal canin baby cat is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's very palatable and higher in calories because it has a higher fat content that adult cat food, to suit growing kittens. The tiny pieces might suit her as well. But be careful with it as it may cause diarrhoea (especially with her already dicky tum) or even pancreatitis.

Royal Canin recovery food -a wet food that comes in alutrays, available from vets - is also high calorie and very palatable. But the same caveat applies - it is high in fat and not intended for long term use.

Another thing you can try is Royal Canin convalescence sachets. These are made up with warm water to make a milky soup. The sachets are about €2.50 in vets and you can buy them individually. If she won't drink it from a bowl, you could try mixing it through food.

There are also high-calorie pastes such as Nutrical that you could rub on her lips or paws, if she won't lick it from the tube.

What about scrambled egg? Add a tiny amount of butter to coat the pan (and add a few calories) but don't add milk. It's often suggested when weaning a dog or cat onto regular food after a bout of gastro. It's highly digestible so of all of the above suggestions, I think it's least likely to upset her tummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You could try kitten glop. I will see if I can locate the recipe I have used.

I think I have it somewhere TMH, if you can't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Thanks for all the suggestions. She has an appointment at the vet this evening as she has not been well the last few days so will see how she gets on. I have tried kitten food etc in the past month with no luck, she doesn't seem to have much interest in eating anything lately. Hopefully she perks up. Thanks again.

2 table spoons of natural prebiotic yoghurt. 2 table spoons full fat mayo. 1 satchel of gelatine. 2 tea spoons of glucose powder. 1 tin of evaporated milk. 2 tins of water.

Put milk in a bowl. Use empty tin to put 2 tins of water into a pot and bring to a boil. Add gelatine and stir til dissolved. Take pot off heat and add in the rest of the ingredients. if you have a food processor give it a whirl, of not whisk it really well. Allow to cool, cover and store in fridge. You can also add taurine powder of you use this long term.

Just take a couple of spoonfuls of the glop and put in microwave. It heats very quickly so be careful.

Advertisement