Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPD or SPD-SL

• 08-03-2015 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Which shoes are best for a road bike?
    Mainly for commuting and odd leisure cycle.
    I like the fact Spd are typically recessed into sole and you can walk around in MTB style.
    But what are other proples opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

SPD-SL feel better on the bike.
    SPD feel better off the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I use the spd on my road bike, you get the best of both worlds with these coupled with mtb shoes. I have a pair of crona mtb shoes and they look and feel like road shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

First time user of cleats so dont wanna buy incorrect type.
    I want a pair that are easy to unclip from and easy to walk in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Get SPDs then. They are worse though :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

For commuting it has to be the SPDs if there is any walking involved. If i was you I'd start with them.

It actually doesn't take that long to switch the pedals on a bike so if you wanted to switch over to SPD SLs for your long weekend spins you could easily do that.

• Advertisement

PCX wrote: »
    For commuting it has to be the SPDs if there is any walking involved. If i was you I'd start with them.

It actually doesn't take that long to switch the pedals on a bike so if you wanted to switch over to SPD SLs for your long weekend spins you could easily do that.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

with the advent of stiff, light road-like SPD shoes, i think the disadvantages of 2-bolts over 3-bolts are getting less and less. I use both and I think I'll eventually switch to spd's for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I've a stiff pair of road/touring SPD shoes that are great - I've no doubt there's more give in them than the SPD-SL, but I find them great. Being able to hop off and walk around no problem is great apart from being the one sent into every cafe/shop to get stuff for my mate who uses Look and doesn't want to waddle/damage her cleats.

OldBean wrote: »
    I've a stiff pair of road/touring SPD shoes that are great - I've no doubt there's more give in them than the SPD-SL, but I find them great. Being able to hop off and walk around no problem is great apart from being the one sent into every cafe/shop to get stuff for my mate who uses Look and doesn't want to waddle/damage her cleats.

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Which shoes are best for a road bike?
    Mainly for commuting and odd leisure cycle.
    I like the fact Spd are typically recessed into sole and you can walk around in MTB style.
    But what are other proples opinions?

If it's mostly commuting then spds are best. Commuted in them for years and found them plenty stiff for training and easy to walk on......even had to jog home in them once.

The only benefit with the sl is that they permit more rotation which might be helpful if you have any knee issues. I've been commuting in spdsls for 2 years now and have no difficulty with my 500m walk to and from the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Reading this topic leads me to more confusion! :-( I've a MTB pedal on my roadie with runners at the moment. I've get MTB shoes to get any use of the cleats. (I'm hard on pedals, wheels, everything.:-D) If once I'm <90 kg then it's time for SL's. Am I right or wrong? I think doing the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Spd sl are a completely different pedal to the spd. Road versus mtb. The spd sl has a larger platform for power transfer.......The sl isn't for super light.....If that's what you thought.

Don't know what weight you are but I'd be surprised if you were so heavy that you couldn't get the proper shoes for your spd pedals

Advertisement