Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Educate Together

Options
  • 08-03-2015 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people recent experiences are of the school, in particular how difficult it is getting a place.

We're due a baby in a few weeks and it's our first choice school - we would prefer not to go the Gaelscoil route, but would prefer a mixed school and most importantly for us, not a catholic school. We would be enrolling the baby to start school in 2019 preferably and I'm already concerned we won't get a place as we really wouldn't be happy with any of the other schools in the town

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Just wondering what people recent experiences are of the school, in particular how difficult it is getting a place.

We're due a baby in a few weeks and it's our first choice school - we would prefer not to go the Gaelscoil route, but would prefer a mixed school and most importantly for us, not a catholic school. We would be enrolling the baby to start school in 2019 preferably and I'm already concerned we won't get a place as we really wouldn't be happy with any of the other schools in the town

As soon as you have a PPS number put his name down and you should be fine .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,864 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Enrolling at birth was meant to have been banned by now - I'm not sure they'll take it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

L1011 wrote: »
    Enrolling at birth was meant to have been banned by now - I'm not sure they'll take it anymore

It hasn't been banned yet, and first come first served is still the schools policy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,864 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It hasn't been banned yet, and first come first served is still the schools policy

Seems the legislation hasn't proceeded beyond the draft stage yet; the change of minister won't have helped

When that comes in, existing waiting lists will have to be closed immediately and cleared in a "number of years" which will probably allow the existing primary school lists to work out but the current concept of registering kids for desirable secondary schools when they're toddlers will be done for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

L1011 wrote: »

If only that was true:(

Both the Gaelscoil (2 stream)and the Educate together(single stream) operate on a 1st come 1st served basis and there is a high demand for both schools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Moonbeam wrote: »
    As soon as you have a PPS number put his name down and you should be fine .

You don't need a PPS number to pre-enrol. Just fill in this form and return it to the school as soon as the child is born. Once it's processed the school secretary will be able to tell you where on the list for 2019 you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mvrce

Hi my child is enrolled for 2016 but most likely will not get a place due to numbers enrolled they have a lot of siblings on this intake just wondering how would I go about lobblying for a third stream there are other parents i know in the same boat so it would not be just one voice?

mvrce wrote: »
    Hi my child is enrolled for 2016 but most likely will not get a place due to numbers enrolled they have a lot of siblings on this intake just wondering how would I go about lobblying for a third stream there are other parents i know in the same boat so it would not be just one voice?

Firstly there is no siblings policy so that doesn't apply. It's first come first served. If you contact the school secretary she will tell you where your child is on the list for 2016. I assume you mean that your child is on the waiting list not enrolled.

Secondly it's a single stream school not a two stream school. That's all there is room for currently. There is zero chance of getting a second stream in 2016 or in the foreseeable future never mind a third stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mvrce

Thanks that info is very helpful my child is on waiting list for 2016 but i was late doing the application so i don't think there will be a place thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Hi,
    We might need to move to Maynooth this summer, with son starting primary school in 2017. From what i read/ hear, he has no chance of getting into the local ET.. Is that right?
    I have read the Maynooth boys' school mission statement/ethos and it doesn't sound like it could be an option for us...

• Advertisement

That probably right - but send in the form anyway and contact the school secretary to see where he'd be on the list.

This is exactly the reason we need ethos, specifically Catholic ethos, removed from primary education. There are too many people around the country in the same boat.Contact http://educationequality.ie/ with your story if you do find yourself without a primary school option.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Oh dear. That's what I thought... He has been pre-enrolled in all ET schools in SCD / SD since 5 week old where we currently live but my job is transferring to MU... Is the North Kildare one just as oversubscribed? Aren't they all? Looking at Ashtown/Castleknock, somewhere along the commuter line..

And thanks for your response. Will send in form anyway

Advertisement