Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling shorts

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

sports direct as well. usually you get a reduced price as well

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

For what you want the first one would be what I would go for. The second is ok but as you will be in the saddle for 2 days the first would be my choice. Remember to wear nothing under them and if you want to rub on a cream to the area do so too, there are some special creams on the market but sometimes a basic skin care product will do fine. You should wash them out and dry fully before the next day as sore hole syndrome can be very very sore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

gzoladz wrote: »
    Hi, I need to buy a pair of cycling shorts for a 2 full days trip.

In case it is relevant, the bike is an hybrid type and I have it set up with a somewhat upright cycling position. The surface will be a mix of good quality lanes, gravel, bumpy areas and grass.

Other than in the trip, I am not planning to use them too often. So I would rather not spend a fortune.

I have been looking at the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007PDR2K6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ETG8J3S8ASN7&coliid=I2QLRL523MZNM&psc=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007OLE0MC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ETG8J3S8ASN7&coliid=I3DAKWCF7SP74U&psc=1

Halfords
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/clothing/shorts-trousers?type=Padded+Cycling+Shorts&initMin=0&initMax=80

And there is cycling stuff coming to Lidl this week.

Appreciate if I can be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,
    G

Stay away from the cheap stuff (tenn)in halfords, the lidl and aldi stuff is better quality. But I would advise to spend as much as you can (30-50) You be glad in the end..

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

I'm not an expert but I have the altura and the quality is very good. If you don't use them often you'll have them for life :) You can also get them in halford, I often get screwed with the delivery charges from amazon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

If it's for a 2 day cycle tour I assume you have trained for it. What have you been wearing up to now and can you not make do with that? On the other hand if you haven't trained then you will be wasting your money on cycling shorts in any case as nothing will save your ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

It still wouldn't be a waste of money getting them. Even though T-Maxx would be right that if you haven't trained for it then your poor ass is in for a hard time, there are degrees of suffering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cycling shorts in Lidl this Thursday:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=427

Still have mine from about 18 months ago and still going strong, will grab a pair of these aswell I think.

Thargor wrote: »
    Cycling shorts in Lidl this Thursday:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=427

Still have mine from about 18 months ago and still going strong, will grab a pair of these aswell I think.

must buy a few things, sound for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

T-Maxx wrote: »
    If it's for a 2 day cycle tour I assume you have trained for it. What have you been wearing up to now and can you not make do with that? On the other hand if you haven't trained then you will be wasting your money on cycling shorts in any case as nothing will save your ass.

LOL..fair question.. . Last year I cycled the Royal Canal e2e and I will be now doing the Grand. For the Royal, other outings and current training all I have used is a velo gel. This is ok for 2 or 3 hours and 50/60 kms, but this is 100km on the first day and about 60km on the second. When I did a similar distance on the Royal it got very painful towards the end of the trip.

So I never really felt the need until last years trip and as now I will be doing something similar I am applying what I have learnt.

Ok, I think I will check those in Lidl on Thursday and if they work I will get the Altura from Halfords or another store, as those seem to be good enough for what I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I was in a bike shop over the weekend and the Cube bib shorts seemed very impressive. By far the best padding of all. Might be worth your while to check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

you wouldn't go wrong with these either:
    wiggle.co.uk/sportful-giro-bib-shorts/
    wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-race-cycling-bib-short/

Got the Lidl shorts eventually. They look descent and I will try to test them this week.

could get anti- chaffing cream as well. i usually use the cream for long journeys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Bib shorts so everyone doesn't have to stare at your arse crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Got the Lidl shorts eventually. They look descent and I will try to test them this week.
    They're not very short. And they're quite light too.

MugMugs wrote: »
    They're not very short. And they're quite light too.

I think there were 2 lenghts, the lenght of the one I got is just above my knees. There was another model a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think there were 2 lenghts, the lenght of the one I got is just above my knees. There was another model a bit longer.

The longer ones are called Capri shorts. Can't see the point in them myself to be honest.

Advertisement