Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Rental - Irish Visa Debit Card

Options
  • 08-03-2015 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

There are very, very few companies that will rent a car with a debit card. Policy changes from state to state and company to company. Make sure that you call them in advance before travelling and get confirmation that they'll accept a debit card.

If you can get a credit card before you travel then I suggest that you make your life easy by doing so. Depending on where you're going you'll also need one to book into hotels.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93899303

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84414658

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimity

I had no trouble using a debit. I've used it multiple times. As long as you have the funds for clearance you're all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Ponster wrote: »
    Policy changes from state to state and company to company. Make sure that you call them in advance before travelling and get confirmation that they'll accept a debit card.

This.

Most of the 50 different states have different rules regarding credit cards, insurance, renting, taxes, etc etc.

Check by calling the office in the state where you'll be renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

InTheTrees wrote: »
    This.

Most of the 50 different states have different rules regarding credit cards, insurance, renting, taxes, etc etc.

Check by calling the office in the state where you'll be renting.

Agree with this. Ring the specific location where you will be picking the car up at. Don't go by what the companies web sites says, or by what a travel agent tells, you or even by what someone at their central booking office tells you. Each state/city/airport has different policies on debit cards. The only people who can tell you for sure, if they accept debit cards at your pick up location, are the people working at that particular office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

AVIS in San Francisco airport took my payment via Visa Debit with no issues. However as per previous advice, I also would recommend getting a proper credit card as well. You never can be 100% sure everywhere is happy with debit cards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Took this pic myself in MSP airport last September - Alamo accept debit cards (with proof of return travel).

https://ta.alamo.com/itemDetails.do?HelpItemID=DEB

Nxg3SGDl.jpg

Advertisement