Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

divorce

• 08-03-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just wondering how long does a divorce take to go through from start to finish&how much does it cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Well for starters you have to wait 4 years from the day you separate from your wife*. From there it can take 6 months to infinity depending on your personal circumstances. 6 months if there is no assets or children and way longer for everything there is to fight over.

*I'm assuming from the user name your a man. Apologies if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

As Ken has said it depends on lots of factors the main one being are you separated yet and for how long - then how complicated are your circumstances and how much are you and your ex in agreement.

It can cost very little but a cheap divorce may be like a cheap used BMW - actually very expensive when secondary costs are considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP mine cost me around 500-600. But we were both in agreement with everything - had no property and 2 grown up children. We had a couple of investments which we split evenly and that was that. My new partners however is taking ages and will cost him a few quid!

So it really depends on your circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/separation_and_divorce/divorce_decrees.html

Rules

Before a court can grant a divorce, the following conditions must be met:

The parties must have been living apart from one another for a period amounting to four out of the previous five years before the application is made.
    There must be no reasonable prospect of reconciliation.
    Proper arrangements must have been made or will be made for the spouse and any dependent members of the family such as children of either party and other relatives.
    If these conditions are met, either party to a marriage may apply to court for a decree of divorce. When applying for a divorce you must submit four documents to the Circuit Court:

An application form (known as a family law civil bill). This document describes both you and your spouse, your occupations and where you live. It also sets out when you married, for how long you have been living apart and the names and birth dates of your children.
    A sworn statement of means (Form 37A). This document sets out your assets, your income, your debts, your liabilities and your outgoings.
    A sworn statement relating to the welfare of your children (Form 37B). This document sets out the personal details of the children of the marriage. It describes where they live and with whom. It also describes their education and training, their health, childcare arrangements and maintenance and access arrangements.
    A document certifying that you have been advised of the alternatives to divorce (Form 37D). This document is sworn by a solicitor and it certifies that you have been advised about alternative dispute resolution including the options of mediation and separation.
    When all of the necessary documents have been filed, you will be given a date for the court hearing. The hearing will be held in private and you will need to show the court that you meet the requirements of the Family Law (Divorce) Act 1996. You can read more about the factors considered by a court in a divorce case here. If the court is satisfied that you have grounds for a divorce, it will grant a decree of divorce.

Further information on applying for a divorce is available on the Courts Service website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 donovan21

joe.d wrote: »
    Just wondering how long does a divorce take to go through from start to finish&how much does it cost?

If it's consented both sides can be over in weeks . Have just done my own divorce , cost me 42 euro in total and from date of filing 1st papers to getting court date and then happily divorced was just under 4 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 donovan21

joe.d wrote: »

Partner just finalised his diy divorce today cost him under 50 euro and took just 5 weeks :)

Advertisement