Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good VPN Provider for Dubiln?

Options
  • 08-03-2015 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently signed up to a popular VPN provider but decided to cancel because of the poor speeds.

I have 120 Mbps connection but was only getting 20-40 Mpbs with the odd 60 Mpbs.

The closest servers they had were in London and Southamption, nothing in Ireland.

Can anyone suggest a good VPN provider with solid speeds?

It will mostly be used for Torrents.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The chances of getting a 120Mb VPN arent good, especially not without a large price/mo. Even then with overhead you'll only ever reach 100 odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

ED E wrote: »
    The chances of getting a 120Mb VPN arent good, especially not without a large price/mo. Even then with overhead you'll only ever reach 100 odd.

Thanks for reply. If I got a consistent 80 to 100 I would be happy. I'm wondering which If any providers could offer this level of service. Am I expecting too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

joe2010 wrote: »
    Am I expecting too much?

2 reasons why I think you might be:
    - Providing very fast connectivity with unlimited bandwidth would probably cost more than most customers for this type of service are ready to pay
    - Even if your VPN provider is great with super fast internet connectivity on their end, there will never be any guarantee your ISP will have good connectivity to them (for example, you would think Google or Apple have amazing internet connectivity, but with UPC I pretty much never get my full 120Mpbs to download an application form the App Store, because UPC themselves have limited connectivity to these companies to save on cost)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Just a mod reminder that while discussion of VPNs is fine in itself, we can't allow the discussion of using them for naughty purposes. So stay away from mentioning such things, so I'm not forced to lock this.

Bob24 wrote: »
    2 reasons why I think you might be:
    - Providing very fast connectivity with unlimited bandwidth would probably cost more than most customers for this type of service are ready to pay
    - Even if your VPN provider is great with super fast internet connectivity on their end, there will never be any guarantee your ISP will have good connectivity to them (for example, you would think Google or Apple have amazing internet connectivity, but with UPC I pretty much never get my full 120Mpbs to download an application form the App Store, because UPC themselves have limited connectivity to these companies to save on cost)

That's very interesting, do you think that if I'm getting about 40 Mpbs for 38Euro a year it's a good deal? I'm starting to think maybe I jumped the gun cancelling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

That's very interesting, do you think that if I'm getting about 40 Mpbs for 38Euro a year it's a good deal? I'm starting to think maybe I jumped the gun cancelling it.

Yes for that price I think you were getting value for your money. Established companies like StrongVPN might give better speeds on their premium plans (but to be confirmed as I have never tried), but it will be closer to 10-15 USD per month. What you have is on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes for that price I think you were getting value for your money. Established companies like StrongVPN might give better speeds on their premium plans (but to be confirmed as I have never tried), but it will be closer to 10-15 USD per month. What you have is on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

I think I will re-evaluate my decision to cancel it. Might have a quick look at strong vpn too.

I think I will re-evaluate my decision to cancel it. Might have a quick look at strong vpn too.

Has anyone tried VPN.ie?

https://www.vpn.ie

Or Ireland VPN?

https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn/ireland-vpn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Usenet is what you need, full speeds all the time and no need for VPN

Usenet is what you need, full speeds all the time and no need for VPN

That's a very good suggestion thank you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement