Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to house train my puppy

• 08-03-2015 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, could someone please give me some advice,

I have a five month old Pomeranian and I've been trying to house train him since I got him but it doesn't seem to be working.

I have tried watching him eating and drinking and bringing him for a walk after but it seems that he thinks he has to wait until he gets home after the walk to go to the toilet and as soon as we come home he runs in to go to the toilet on the floor. Does anyone know how I could et him to go outside?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Aimeeeb wrote: »
    Hi, could someone please give me some advice,

I have a five month old Pomeranian and I've been trying to house train him since I got him but it doesn't seem to be working.

I have tried watching him eating and drinking and bringing him for a walk after but it seems that he thinks he has to wait until he gets home after the walk to go to the toilet and as soon as we come home he runs in to go to the toilet on the floor. Does anyone know how I could et him to go outside?
    Thanks in advance

Do you have an outdoor area that you can take him off the lead? My old boy never, ever, ever went on the lead, he hated being watched. Alternatively, maybe he is so excited about moving on the walk that he forgets to stop to go. Maybe find an area to stop with him, and stand until he does go, and then praise? If you keep walking, he might just keep walking with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

In the middle of doing this myself, The advice we got was to putt a matt down inside at the door you want him to go out and put paper over it...try and get them to go on the paper with the matt underneath. So anytime you see your dog attempting to go the toilet lift them on to the paper and praise \ treat them when they go. Once this is done and the dog is consistently going on the paper, move the matt and paper outside and praise again when they do it correctly. We used this method on our little guy (12 weeks old) and he is getting better, he now cries to go out for his number 2's. He is still prone to the odd wee in the house but he's nearly there. He also never goes when we have him on the lead.

Reward good behaviour and condone bad habbits...im not talking about rubbing their noses in it etc but if you catch them afterwards use your stern voice so they know they have done wrong and hopefully they will learn over time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

allybhoy wrote: »
    In the middle of doing this myself, The advice we got was to putt a matt down inside at the door you want him to go out and put paper over it...try and get them to go on the paper with the matt underneath. So anytime you see your dog attempting to go the toilet lift them on to the paper and praise \ treat them when they go. Once this is done and the dog is consistently going on the paper, move the matt and paper outside and praise again when they do it correctly. We used this method on our little guy (12 weeks old) and he is getting better, he now cries to go out for his number 2's. He is still prone to the odd wee in the house but he's nearly there. He also never goes when we have him on the lead.

Reward good behaviour and condone bad habbits...im not talking about rubbing their noses in it etc but if you catch them afterwards use your stern voice so they know they have done wrong and hopefully they will learn over time.
    The reason why you still have an issue is because you have confused him (and you can expect him to go on other pieces of paper found on the floor in the future if unlucky); simply bring him out and wait. Don't walk him, don't play but simply wait until he goes and then praise the living daylight out of him. The pee on paper is really not conductive to the whole thing as you're adding in steps that's not needed (I can pee in door but only on paper and then i don't pee indoor for praise which means you're forcing the dog to be trained twice in essence).

As to OP; what are you washing the floor with and when you say you "take him for a walk" are you taking him to the same spot and wait there every time or are you walking around? Because you need to make him associate one spot with peeing (preferably with a key word such as pee pee or something) to make the click for him that hearing the key word & being at the right spot = if I go I get a ton of praise! If you simply walk him around you're distracting him by all the fun stuff around and of course once he's home he realizes how badly he needs to go as the fun stuff is over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

allybhoy wrote: »

All this does is essentially train your dog that he gets treated for going outside and inside - many people on here have tried this method and came back crying months later when their dog started toileting inside again because they remember getting praise for going inside and why should now be any different? And to scold them, even if only a stern voice, means absolutely nothing, because the dog does not understand what you are punishing them for. Is it because I weed? Is it because he/she saw me? Is it because I went on the carpet and not the tiles? Is it because I cocked my left leg instead of my right? Is it because I brushed the leaf of that fern on the way past?

PS 12 weeks is far too young to assume a pup even close to house-trained, as you are supposed to be letting them outside in the middle of the night. You should not expect full house-training until the pup is around 8 months of age, and for some dogs it takes even longer than this (as it obviously depends on the method of training and bladder development).

Advertisement