Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting the US

Options
  • 09-03-2015 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anybody can help. I have a friend from Georgia, who I have known for 12 years, and I finally want to go and visit him and other friends around the states.

I would like to go for a large amount of time, a few months to six months if possible and was wondering what process do I have to go through for this?

Can I just book my flights or do I have to apply for any sort of visa at all?

Also, if I wanted part-time work there, would I need another kind of visa?

Thank you so much, there is so much information to take in right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

You can visit for 90 days this way
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

longer needs a visa. Working is a whole other thing, being a student is your best chance here. If you are using the above, you'll need to be able to show that you have the loot to sustain yourself, if they get any whiff of the working idea they'll turn you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Is there a tourist visa for like 6 months?
    Or a working holiday visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

LucidLife wrote: »
    Esta is required not suggestion....

That alone doesn't grant access to states but even if your not getting off plane (layover) you need esta to enter US.

If you get esta and just go they give you a 90day holiday visa which you can top-up by crossing Canadian border and returning.

Work is a tough subject. ... edited by mod

OP, ignore every single thing about this. It is terrible, terrible advice and you could go to jail for pretty much all of the things mentioned. You can not just top up your ESTA by popping across the border to Canada. Good Lord !

There is no working holiday visa, other than the 3 month student J1. If you are a student, you will qualify for that. Once you graduate, you will qualify for a one year graduate visa where you can work in your chosen field for a year. That is pretty much it, unless you can get a US company to hire you and pay for your visa.

If you decide to go over on the ESTA visa waiver, you can not work. If you plan on staying the full 90 days that it is valid for, you generally have to prove that you have the funds to support yourself during your time in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, ignore every single thing about this. It is terrible, terrible advice and you could go to jail for pretty much all of the things mentioned. You can not just top up your ESTA by popping across the border to Canada. Good Lord !

There is no working holiday visa, other than the 3 month student J1. If you are a student, you will qualify for that. Once you graduate, you will qualify for a one year graduate visa where you can work in your chosen field for a year. That is pretty much it, unless you can get a US company to hire you and pay for your visa.

If you decide to go over on the ESTA visa waiver, you can not work. If you plan on staying the full 90 days that it is valid for, you generally have to prove that you have the funds to support yourself during your time in the US.

Don't worry, I thought that sounded rather illegal or something so I didn't believe it :)

I am an English citizen living in Ireland right now with a British passport but I studied and graduated in Ireland. (Currently finishing my last year but I will be graduating soon and then onto a masters). Can I still qualify for the 12 month graduate visa? I'm worried since I have a British passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ProudDUB wrote: »

+1 Not alone does a visit to Canada (or Mexico, or the 'adjacent islands') not 'top-up' the 90 day travel permit you get under the visa waiver program (VWP) when you enter the US, the clock keeps running so every day you spend in Canada is one day less you can stay in the US.

Trips to Canada, Mexico, or nearby Islands

If you are admitted to the United States under the VWP, you may take a short trip to Canada, Mexico, or a nearby island and generally be readmitted to the United States under the VWP for the remainder of the original 90 days granted upon your initial arrival in the United States. Therefore, the length of time of your total stay, including the short trip, must be 90 days or less.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Terrible advice from the other poster indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

OP, since you are studying in Ireland, you should qualify for a J-1 visa. You can get a summer J-1 (roughly 4 months) or a 1 year J-1 visa -> I don't believe there is anything in between. I would assume if you are looking to go to the US and study for your masters that you will be taking a year off? The 1 year J-1 visa would be worth it.

Advertisement