Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting UK driving licence

Options
  • 09-03-2015 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

I have an Irish provisional licence but I want to get a UK licence. I've filled in all the forms online, but apparently you have to send your passport (the passport itself, copies aren't accepted) or a national identity card along with the postal application? Does anyone know if there are ways around sending a passport? Would a Public Service card or Prov. Licence count as a national identity card? A Garda Age card even? I obviously don't want to send my passport in the post to Swansea, why they would even consider asking for such a thing is beyond ****ing ridiculous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It's an official form of ID in a country with very different security concerns to Ireland. You need to send your passport, the national ID requirement is only there to allow compliance with EU law.

You'll have to limit your jet setting to the Bus and the UK for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They send it straight back iirc, so you should only be without it for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

You can physically attend one of the DVLA offices with your passport if you don't wish to be without it as they just require a quick look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bkehoe wrote: »
    You can physically attend one of the DVLA offices with your passport if you don't wish to be without it as they just require a quick look at it.

Are you sure? I was told that they could do this and headed off to the Wimbledon SVLA and they couldn't do it - it's only for UK passport holders. They took mine sent it off and I had it back within a week.

As noted ed it's an official identity document. If you think it's OTT, in Ireland you now have to go to a special office to have your photo taken!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

They send it straight back iirc, so you should only be without it for a few days.

This is true, I can verify regarding applying for the UK provisional. Friend applied using passport, sent on a Saturday (sent special signed for delivery think its around £6?) and had it returned by Thursday, licence came Friday. I think they say to allow 14 days.

They also provided a special signed for envelope for the DVLA to send it back, possibly un necessary (and obviously costing an additional £6) but you may consider it worthwhile as opposed to having to sort out a replacement passport and all the fun that goes with it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Marcusm wrote: »
    Are you sure? I was told that they could do this and headed off to the Wimbledon SVLA and they couldn't do it - it's only for UK passport holders. They took mine sent it off and I had it back within a week.

As noted ed it's an official identity document. If you think it's OTT, in Ireland you now have to go to a special office to have your photo taken!

Yes, a friend did it 2 years ago, only some of the main offices though from what I remember. In Scotland it was only Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bkehoe wrote: »
    Yes, a friend did it 2 years ago, only some of the main offices though from what I remember. In Scotland it was only Glasgow.

Were they exchanging an Irish full licence or applying for a first issue UK provisional? There used to be a service for the exchnage at the DVLA offices (and this was on their website). THere is nothing on their website about this anymore.

Advertisement