Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

undercounter fridge freezer big enough for corny?

Options
  • 09-03-2015 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Had my keg out in the shed over the winter but its starting to get mild now so just looking at buying a fridge and just wondering if an under counter fridge freezer is big enough for a corny or does it have to be one without a freezer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I go for the standard under-counter fridges , you may need to take out the small freezer unite to get it to fit

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

oblivious wrote: »
    I go for the standard under-counter fridges , you may need to take out the small freezer unite to get it to fit

Oh right, didn't know you could take out the freezer part. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

I'm thinking the same for a FV to Lager (with a STC1000)
    Kitchen isn't too big but was considering one of those ex-display bar fridges (one for holding bottles behind the bar (that we all have a look over into see what craft beers are to be had)

Little bit smaller than a standard under counter fridge, but hopefully big enough for a FV or maybe some demi-kegs (10l cornys). -i'm scouring adverts.ie from time to time to see if there's any going on the cheap

Keeping on topic - maybe you could do the same with a chest freezer - I hear they're great. Use the STC 1000 to keep the temps at fridge levels, fire a tap tower (or two) on top and you've got yourself a fine Micro-Pub

Hingo wrote: »
    I'm thinking the same for a FV to Lager (with a STC1000)
    Kitchen isn't too big but was considering one of those ex-display bar fridges (one for holding bottles behind the bar (that we all have a look over into see what craft beers are to be had)

Little bit smaller than a standard under counter fridge, but hopefully big enough for a FV or maybe some demi-kegs (10l cornys). -i'm scouring adverts.ie from time to time to see if there's any going on the cheap

Keeping on topic - maybe you could do the same with a chest freezer - I hear they're great. Use the STC 1000 to keep the temps at fridge levels, fire a tap tower (or two) on top and you've got yourself a fine Micro-Pub

I know what fridge you mean but they are not cheap, havnt seen one for under 200 yet, look well though. I'm looking for something that will go in the shed or spare room probably so doesn't have to look the part just cool the keg down. I just want to make sure the kegs fit before looking for one.

Is there any advantage to using a freezer with temp control over a fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Not sure if there's any key advantage but the fact that its a lot of horizontal space would mean you have more space for kegs without having to worry about a keg or that falling out the door everytime you open it.

kegerator.jpg

Also I've seen seom people do them up to look like a fancy beer counter using wood veneers and other materials. Pull your pint. have the glasses on the counter, few stools.

It's something I'd like to have up and running in the future as part of my own home brew-pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 boboboland

macnug wrote: »
    Had my keg out in the shed over the winter but its starting to get mild now so just looking at buying a fridge and just wondering if an under counter fridge freezer is big enough for a corny or does it have to be one without a freezer?

I made a kegerator lately. i can get in 2 kegs side by side all i had to do was unscrew the light. Pm me and i'll send u the link to where i got the fridge not sure if i can post it here is that advertising maybe. anyway was only 155 brand new and looks deadly.

boboboland wrote: »
    I made a kegerator lately. i can get in 2 kegs side by side all i had to do was unscrew the light. Pm me and i'll send u the link to where i got the fridge not sure if i can post it here is that advertising maybe. anyway was only 155 brand new and looks deadly.

Actually got one today, didn't have a freezer in it just a fridge so got a keg, co2 cylinder and a couple of bottles in the back. I'll have to build something for the tap next. Any ideas? Dont really want to drill holes into the fridge though incase I want to sell it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

You can keep the taps inside the fridge

oblivious wrote: »
    You can keep the taps inside the fridge

Oh I know, that's what I'm doing atm but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for maybe building a stand for it and just pop it on to the keg as needed rather than drilling holes. I suppose a small plywood box would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 boboboland

macnug wrote: »
    Oh I know, that's what I'm doing atm but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for maybe building a stand for it and just pop it on to the keg as needed rather than drilling holes. I suppose a small plywood box would do the job.

is there a drain at the back of your fridge to let out water? if so let the pipe out through that for the tap

• Advertisement

boboboland wrote: »
    is there a drain at the back of your fridge to let out water? if so let the pipe out through that for the tap

Dunno must have a look, cheers!

Advertisement