Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent insurance advise

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Mine are 156 each per year, think I'm with <snip> (I'm definitely not with Allianz anyways), it's pretty much stayed the same the last few years since I've had it, no claims.

But as far as i know (forgive me if im wrong) but Allianz give the best cover in terms of max claims per year? ie vets bills max of €4k .. not sure what <snip> is....

To be honest we have claimed a fair amount over the last few years for xrays... last year €390+ in blood tests (and other stuff) and we've never had a problem with Allianiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

cocker5 wrote: »
    But as far as i know (forgive me if im wrong) but Allianz give the best cover in terms of max claims per year? ie vets bills max of €4k ..

To be honest we have claimed a fair amount over the last few years for xrays... last year €390+ in blood tests (and other stuff) and we've never had a problem with Allianiz.

That's really reassuring. I signed up with Allianz last July on the same day Pup arrived and have yet to claim. I must read the plan carefully - do they cover antibiotics and visits over a certain threshold per annum?

Dubl07 wrote: »
    That's really reassuring. I signed up with Allianz last July on the same day Pup arrived and have yet to claim. I must read the plan carefully - do they cover antibiotics and visits over a certain threshold per annum?

Well there would be a excess on your policy ie €100.. Per claim That you must pay, anything after that they pay - this only applies if your dog is sick / requires treatment doesn't include vaccinations, neutering etc.

Ie if your dog has an eye infection and the bill comes to €150 (which it wouldn't but just giving you an example) .. You oay the excess.. Then the insurance pays the balance. If your dog gets another eye infection in the same eye again during the same year... As you've already paid the exceed for the claim.. You pay nothing , insuance pays.

Also check with your vet lots of bets now have a direct payment agreement with the insurers.. Ur Allianz pays your bet directly - way harder than you paying out and reclaiming etc.

As my guy is over 7, I have an excess per claim and I must pay 30% of the overall bill - just an fyi!

Maximum is €4,000 per year with Allianz I believe!

Well there would be a excess on your policy ie €100.. Per claim That you must pay, anything after that they pay - this only applies if your dog is sick / requires treatment doesn't include vaccinations, neutering etc.

Ie if your dog has an eye infection and the bill comes to €150 (which it wouldn't but just giving you an example) .. You oay the excess.. Then the insurance pays the balance. If your dog gets another eye infection in the same eye again during the same year... As you've already paid the exceed for the claim.. You pay nothing , insuance pays.

Also check with your vet lots of bets now have a direct payment agreement with the insurers.. Ur Allianz pays your bet directly - way harder than you paying out and reclaiming etc.

As my guy is over 7, I have an excess per claim and I must pay 30% of the overall bill - just an fyi!

Maximum is €4,000 per year with Allianz I believe!

Sorry spelling so bad! Posting from my phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think the excess of €100 with allianz is very steep. I know everyone here is usually full of praise for them but having to pay out that much yourself takes away much of the benefit of having insurance I would think

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    I think the excess of €100 with allianz is very steep. I know everyone here is usually full of praise for them but having to pay out that much yourself takes away much of the benefit of having insurance I would think

Every insurance company has an excess.. My sister is with another pet insurance company and get excess is more... My house insurance excess is €250.. Vhi is €75, personally i think its unjustifiable!

If your dog had an accident with treatment costing.. €1500.. €100 is nothing

That's just my opinion anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

. My house insurance excess is €250.. Vhi is €75, personally i think its unjustifiable!

Hardly comparable.
    Your pet is insured up to about €4000.
    Your house is insured up to its rebuild value probably somewhere between €100 000 and €200 000.
    Your house insurance probably also covers liability for visitors.

Does your pet insurance cover you if your pet bites someone? I very much doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hardly comparable.
    Your pet is insured up to about €4000.
    Your house is insured up to its rebuild value probably somewhere between €100 000 and €200 000.
    Your house insurance probably also covers liability for visitors.

Does your pet insurance cover you if your pet bites someone? I very much doubt it.

Well you're very much wrong because Allianz does to the tune of €250k..

tk123 wrote: »
    Well you're very much wrong because Allianz does to the tune of €250k..

I was going by what Cocker5 said.

I see I was wrong about the liability thing, it is covered to €250k but vet bills are only covered to €4k. Hardly comparable to the cost of a house rebuild.

The level of cover compared to the cost of policies seems completely out of whack with any other type of insurance (apart from phone insurance which any insurance expert will tell you is a waste of money).

I was going by what Cocker5 said.

I see I was wrong about the liability thing, it is covered to €250k but vet bills are only covered to €4k. Hardly comparable to the cost of a house rebuild.

The level of cover compared to the cost of policies seems completely out of whack with any other type of insurance (apart from phone insurance which any insurance expert will tell you is a waste of money).

Well that's your choice, don't get insurance, and if your dog get seriously unwell you'll pay the consequences.. Or else the dog will suffer!

They also cover other things not just vet bills!

I've made a good few claims over the years - that have far exceeded what I pay in a year so for me and my dog it's an expense Im willing to pay for piece of mind...

• Advertisement

Well that's your choice, don't get insurance, and if your dog get seriously unwell you'll pay the consequences.. Or else the dog will suffer!

They also cover other things not just vet bills!

I've made a good few claims over the years - that have far exceeded what I pay in a year so for me and my dog it's an expense Im willing to pay for piece of mind...

Not everyone owns a dog, Cocker5.
    And yes, it is my choice to not purchase pet insurance, just as it's your choice to do so.
    I'm just pointing out the high cost versus what is covered compared to other insurance policies.

I think it's the emotional element, as typified by the "or else your dog will suffer" comment that has people so willing to pay over the odds insurance prices for their pets.

Maybe if more providers come into the market, prices will become more in line with other types of policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Not everyone owns a dog, Cocker5.
    And yes, it is my choice to not purchase pet insurance, just as it's your choice to do so.
    I'm just pointing out the high cost versus what is covered compared to other insurance policies.

I think it's the emotional element, as typified by the "or else your dog will suffer" comment that has people so willing to pay over the odds insurance prices for their pets.

Maybe if more providers come into the market, prices will become more in line with other types of policy.

The thing is we don't really need you to point it out for us and wreck another thread on insurance like last time? We're all able to decide if we want to get insurance or not, if we can afford to pay bills without it etc. Everyone posting here already has it so we don't need to hear why you think it's crap. I'd be the guts of 10k out of pocket without it at this stage or have a dead dog so I'm glad I have it. I don't feel hard done by having never claimed **touchwood** on my other dog's policy - it's there to fall back on if we ever need it.

tk123 wrote: »
    The thing is we don't really need you to point it out for us and wreck another thread on insurance like last time? We're all able to decide if we want to get insurance or not, if we can afford to pay bills without it etc. Everyone posting here already has it so we don't need to hear why you think it's crap. I'd be the guts of 10k out of pocket without it at this stage or have a dead dog so I'm glad I have it. I don't feel hard done by having never claimed **touchwood** on my other dog's policy - it's there to fall back on if we ever need it.

It was gael23 first suggested that the excess was unreasonable, not me. I'm simply agreeing with that poster.
    Why does someone having a different opinion to you seem to upset you so much? How am I "wrecking" another thread by giving an alternative view.
    Do you speak for every poster on this forum?
    You don't speak for me. Am I not a poster here?
    I do not have pet insurance.
    Who are the "we" and "us" that you speak for?

Having saved lots of money, of course you think pet insurance is great value. By your reasoning, if someone paid €1000 premium and then claimed €2000, it would suggest that €1000 is a good value premium, despite it being way above the market value. They would have saved €1000, so it must be good value.?? Right?
    That is the reasoning you have applied.

Just because you saved money by having insurance doesn't mean that the premium is fair, or reasonable.

I'd love to hear an insurance analyst's view on pet insurance costs.

The fact you don't agree with or like my opinion does not give you the right to silence me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks,
    This is a debate for another thread, NOT this one given the gravity of the OP's first post.
    I don't see much point in keeping it open any longer, as the OP's situation appears to be sorted.
    Murchu, might I take this opportuity to (a) thank you for drawing this loophole to everyone's attention, and most of all (b) wish you and your wife all the very, very best. We'll be keeping everythign crossed for her recovery.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement