Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to meet people in Kilcock

Options
  • 09-03-2015 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,
    My wife and I have just moved to Kilcock and are wondering what the best way is to meet new people/make friends here? I work in Dublin and my wife works in Westmeath so we don't have a network of work colleagues here, and neither of us are from Kildare originally.

We are willing to try anything to be honest; get involved with the GAA/rugby club; dancing classes; voluntary groups; coffee mornings.

We are keen to make the most out of Kilcock and make new friends.

It is difficult in modern Ireland to make new friends isn't it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Anywhere I have moved to I have always joined the local badminton club. Its a very handy way to meet people and most clubs have a decent social calendar. Spent a few years moving around with work and it got me sorted socially several times.

Don't know a huge amount about Kilcock but it does have a badminton club. Might be worth a try as a starter.. The age profile of a club is generally across the board also.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Radioheader

Thanks John, that is an excellent suggestion and my wife used to play badminton so we will give it a go!

The sense of loneliness and isolation can be quite overwhelming when you move into a new area. Having lived in Dublin all of my life, I never realised or appreciated how difficult it can be for people moving to a new area.

Other ideas we had were maybe to join the GAA club and do dance classes maybe, given we had to throw a few shapes for our wedding!

Certainly we will participate in any table quizzes, festivals or the like as well.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

I know what you mean about moving to a new area. Its not easy alright. Obviously the sports clubs are a good social outlet. I can speak for badminton because any club I was in generally organised christmas/end of season/fundraising nights out which is a great way to get in with a crowd of like minds.

Other useful tips along the sporting lines would be to join a triathlon club. I did a few years back. Wanted to get fit a do a race. Most of the clubs have stuff on most evenings and weekends including indoor turbo training, weekend cycles, swim sessions etc. Caters for all levels generally (I could hardly swim and could find the front of a bike at a push), its addictive and very social to boot. You will end up going for a weekend cycle with a group. Will be social nights involved etc..

Running Clubs - I live in Naas and there is a gentleman called brendan that has a running club on the footpaths around the town. He seems to cater for every ability and although i've never been out with them it seems to be a bit of craic 3 of 4 times a week. reasonable group of people doing it aswell. Not suggesting you go to naas but there are brendan equivalents in most towns. I'd be willing to bet that there are pints involved somewhere.

Put your name on this board saying you're looking for a game at whatever pitches are close to you. People are always short numbers, someone will respond. 10/12 guys playing weekly will have pints at some stage.

Tag rugby is always good too. Probably something goin on in Maynooth.

I'm in Naas a little over 5 years now. I Knew nobody here and have no family ties to the town. Most of the above was my starting point. Naas is bigger than Kilcock so there is probably more going on but you'll get most of the above if you look for it. Maynooth is only up the road aswell.

It'll get easier but you need to get yourself out and about or you'll resent moving there.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shady_lady99

Hi John,
    Sorry to hijack this thread but could you pm me contact details for Brendan?

I've been living in Naas since October and wondered about the running club.

Thanks!

Thanks John. Great suggestions on the sports clubs. Not much of a swimmer myself but will certainly investigate re the running club. I see there is a 5k fun run for Maynooth GAA this Sunday morning, might give that a lash.

Has anyone ever tried meetup.com?

There seems to be a lot going on in Maynooth in general so I imagine that will be our major outlet for meeting people.

There is a North Kildare rugby club, might investigate that too.

It's daunting at first when you know no one in the locality but hopefully it will become easier over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Has anyone ever tried meetup.com?

I've never used it but I've looked into it and I reckon that could be the way to go, so long as you find something that suits you. Everyone there is in the same boat, and you can pick and choose what events/activities you want to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Im moving to Kilcock in the summer, so would be great to hear how you got on

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

Hi,

Probably too late, but I am from the kilcock area here are some local groups,

If you have kids then join the parents association, great way of meeting people.
    There is a men's shed club which is quite popular,
    Then there is the north Kildare rugby club,
    If you play Golf then there is Kilcock golf club,
    Kilcock GAA,
    Kilcock Athletics club is popular at the moment they even have a potential Olympic candidate, if all goes well for him,
    If you like Cycling then there is the Donadea cycling club, called the Donadea Wheelers, they are on face book,
    If you play/like Trad music there are regular meet ups for musicians, it used to be Gregorys bar, i would need to check that as i know one of the musicians.

That should keep you going for a while, and if I think of anything else i will add it. If there is any hobby that you are interested in let me know an i can see what I can find out for you.

Hi Micko,
    Thanks a million for the reply. Never too late!

We don't have kids, which unfortunately blocks us from a lot of the usual sources for meeting people.

I will certainly have a look at the men's shed club, looks interesting.

I am in my early 40's but used to play rugby and GAA so will certainly keep an eye on North Kildare and the GAA club.

Gregory's is a lovely bar in fairness.

One of the things we were struck by was the lack of good walking facilities in Kilcock. There are no walks along the canal, and the road conditions are terrible in the town. Also there is only path for about 100m out the Trim road. It is a real pity as it should be a lovely town to walk around if the facilities were there given the canal and river. Has Kilcock been let down a bit by its local respresentatives over the years?

It could do with a few quid pumped into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nobbo1980

Myself and wife and two kids moving to Kilcock in April, apart from problems meeting people etc, how do you find the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Nobbo1980

Also (sorry for all the questions) where do you commute to in Dublin and how do you find it?? Cheers

It's a small village really, which is nice. O'Keefes is a lovely bar and the food is excellent. Gregory's is also a lovely bar. People seem to be very friendly and welcoming.

The road surfaces in the town are very poor and there are a lot of run-down buildings in the town - if the local council would seize the initiative and pump a little money into the town they could really achieve a lot, as it has superb potential.

You have two waterways, the canal and the river Rye, yet there are no proper walkways along either, which is very disappointing. In general the walking paths in and around Kilcock are very poorly maintained or not there at all.

I leave for work at 7am and it generally takes me about 50mins to get into work, which is in Christchurch. I leave work shortly after 5pm and it generally takes about 50mins to get home as well.

There is a good bus service to Dublin, the 115 bus. It generally takes about 45mins to get the bus from Kilcock to the halfpenny bridge, and it generally takes about 45mins home in the bus as well.

Hope that helps. I am here less than a month so I am just giving my honest opinion but you are probably better off talking to someone who is here a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

SuperValu is being built in the square this year, starting approx. in 12 weeks. Should give the town centre a great boost

Let's hope they sort out parking and the roads

liam7831 wrote: »
    SuperValu is being built in the square this year, starting approx. in 12 weeks. Should give the town centre a great boost
    That will be a super boost to the town, it will really get that square going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

North Kildare have a rugby sevens tournament in the club on Easter Sunday. Might be worth checking out if you're around.

ixus wrote: »
    North Kildare have a rugby sevens tournament in the club on Easter Sunday. Might be worth checking out if you're around.

Thanks Ixus, unfortunately at a funeral on Sunday so won't be around. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Repetto

Hit here, I have found North Kildare club to be extremely friendly and welcoming. Just joined it there abouta month ago for hockey (I know, end of season!), but have found the gang there very sociable. There was an end of season fun day on last weekend, mostly kid-oriented, but easy to get chatting to people there. Looking forward to kicking off next season properly.

So i'm moving in a couple of months. My fella he knows everyone in the pubs but I know no-one.
    So was just wondering if there's anything like book club, or fitness classes such as yoga or pilates. Im not into running and cant play badminton, due to injury unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    So i'm moving in a couple of months. My fella he knows everyone in the pubs but I know no-one.
    So was just wondering if there's anything like book club, or fitness classes such as yoga or pilates. Im not into running and cant play badminton, due to injury unfortunately.

The Wellness centre in Kilcock might suit http://www.vitalityyoga.ie/class.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement