Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Contract

Options
  • 09-03-2015 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All. I recently upgraded my control panel with Phonewatch, after having their previous system for 5 years. I have since been told that this means I am in an automatic contract with them for the monitoring for the next 12 months. Is this true? Surely upgrading a panel has nothing to do with the t's and c's of the monitoring?! Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Do you have a cooling off period?
    Why did you upgrade if you don't mind me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 55Nobby55

I paid for an upgraded panel, as i had heard that the old panel would not send a signal to the call centre if an intruder pulled it off the wall. Which I actually heard was confirmed on the Joe Duffy Show, so i'm glad i did. But I have since looked at changing monitoring provider and was told by Phonewatch that I couldn't as I was in a 12 month rolling contract from when i upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Ok I don't understand why you would upgrade with the same company who's previous system has been letting people down. They made claims the other system would alert them if knocked off the wall. This one is no better.

Unfortunately you are stuck with phonewatch as long as you have that alarm. €420 a year is a lot of money.
    Also unlike your old system the intruders have to be already in the house before the new system detects them. Not much point in that. What's protected if you want to switch the alarm on at nighttime while watching TV in the sittingroom or kitchen area?

Yes you would have a new 12 month contract in place if you got the new system at the deal price . Unless you use the cooling off period to try and have the system removed you are stuck with Phonewatch regardless of contract.

I'm sorry if I've come across as harsh but far too many people think phonewatch is the only REAL security company. They end up with a toy of what we wouldn't even call an alarm system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Double check your terms & conditions. There was the option to cancel within a month. I done a few installations where the system was removed within the first month. Ask them for a copy of the risk assessment that was carried out on your property.Also ask them for a copy of your system design proposal?
    Do you sign this?

Hi. I signed nothing when i bought the new panel. I just assumed at the time the easiest thing to do was to upgrade the panel. Nothing else was upgraded, and i bought the panel at a set fee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would suggest that you ask them what I suggested above. Also tell them that you will be contacting the PSA as it appears proper procedures may have been skipped.

Thank you. That's what i thought.

I hope it helps. It certainly did for a few customers I changed over.

Can i ask who you are with and if you do monitoring?

Ill PM you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement