Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 World Cup - Day 25 - India v Ireland

Options
  • 09-03-2015 12:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭

34th Match, Pool B: India v Ireland at Hamilton
    Mar 10, 2015 (14:00 local | 01:00 GMT)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

India already through, and some of their fans would love it if an Ireland win knocked out Pakistan.

Can't see it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

India already through, and some of their fans would love it if an Ireland win knocked out Pakistan.

Can't see it though.

Beating India does nothing to Pakistan, it's the West indies who'd suffer, Pakistan just need to beat us to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Absolutely 0% chance of precipitation in Hamilton today so looks like we will have to take our points the old fashioned way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Can't see it though.

Pak still have chance if they beat Ireland, so maybe 2 washed out days would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

A long way out I know, and obviously I'd rather go through by winning, but there could be rain on Sunday for the WI vs UAE game in Napier. A NR there and we are in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Absolutely 0% chance of precipitation in Hamilton today so looks like we will have to take our points the old fashioned way.

Good, mother nature saving all her rain for the WI vs UAE game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Split loyalties for me tomorrow!! .... My native country vs my adopted country!!
    Given that India have already qualified I'll be rooting for Ireland
    Come on you boys in green ..... Make my World Cup complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Number one sport in a nation of 1bn......vs the number (circa) 25 sport in a nation of 6mn (combined).....

I'd almost say that it would make a nonsense of cricket if Ireland were to win this or even be competitive.....

Still though......come on Ireland!!

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Number one sport in a nation of 1bn......vs the number (circa) 25 sport in a nation of 6mn (combined).....

I'd almost say that it would make a nonsense of cricket if Ireland were to win this or even be competitive.....

Still though......come on Ireland!!

Stranger things have happened in cricket

and yep ...... There will be the usual effigy burning and stone pelting in India if they lose tomoro.....

But still..... COME ON IRELAND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think putting cricket at #25 in Ireland is incredibly harsh - there has to be a huge latent interest in it, because from when I can remember cricket scores have always been given out as part of hourly sports bulletins on the radio. from the early-mid 80s you'd be almost guaranteed to hear the latest score from an England Test if there was one on.

I know there's a huge upsurge in interest when Ireland are at WCs or playing ODIs, and that's understandable given the nature of Irish Sports Fans, but still, I'd hardly imagine it's as low as 25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think putting cricket at #25 in Ireland is incredibly harsh - there has to be a huge latent interest in it, because from when I can remember cricket scores have always been given out as part of hourly sports bulletins on the radio. from the early-mid 80s you'd be almost guaranteed to hear the latest score from an England Test if there was one on.

I know there's a huge upsurge in interest when Ireland are at WCs or playing ODIs, and that's understandable given the nature of Irish Sports Fans, but still, I'd hardly imagine it's as low as 25.

Well.....its a ballpark figure.....

Maybe no. 15 is more appropriate. (In which case the argument doesn't really change).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Soccer, GAA, Rugby, Horse Racing, Golf, Boxing. After that it's much of a muchness I'd say. Fact is, the Irish cricket team is the 11th best team in the World, (realistically it's more like 8th or 9th). Not many sports where we excel like that.

Basically we have two bites of the cherry at qualifying. Can't see a win against India but I know the players are taking it one game at a time and will do their utmost. What do people think would be the best strategy should we win the toss, bat or bowl first?

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Soccer, GAA, Rugby, Horse Racing, Golf, Boxing. After that it's much of a muchness I'd say. Fact is, the Irish cricket team is the 11th best team in the World, (realistically it's more like 8th or 9th). Not many sports where we excel like that.

Basically we have two bites of the cherry at qualifying. Can't see a win against India but I know the players are taking it one game at a time and will do their utmost. What do people think would be the best strategy should we win the toss, bat or bowl first?

India looked really shaky chasing 180 against the Windies

Ireland bat first ....get to 280 plus and early wickets and put the Indian middle order under pressure again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Ah but that depends on the day - quiet sports day and you get the cricket update but at weekend you'd be lucky. Like this morning, no mention at all on the 8.40 sports news as to how England were getting on in what was a critical game.

Likewise there you had Marion Finucane yesterday reporting in a condescending way that Ireland had beaten Zimbabwe by 5 runs but that she had no idea at what this meant and was just repeating it. Like it was some badge of honour not to understand. She's a well paid media person and intelligent to boot - and it was just plain laziness and thinly veiled indifference on her part, not to make an effort to understand. Not impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

booth70 wrote: »
    Ireland bat first ....get to 280 plus and early wickets and put the Indian middle order under pressure again

Anything close to 280 would be a good score the way the Indian bowlers are playing - nobody else has topped 225 and nobody else has made it through their 50 overs either - the most expensive Indian bowler is only giving up 4.51 runs per over and they've had 14 maidens over their first 4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I've always thought the ODI rankings were a bit stupid and this game highlights it! If India win they drop 1 point and we gain 4 to move to 1 point behind Zim. If India lose they drop 2 points and we gain 11 and overtake Zim. Also highlights just how few games we play and how much our ranking is handicapped by not getting to play the big boys much. I really hope that if the current plan for 2019 goes ahead there's something done to ensure everyone is on a reasonably even playing field.

Stupid rankings predictor doesn't seem to want to let me guess where we could end up if we beat India and Pakistan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

BarryD wrote: »
    Ah but that depends on the day - quiet sports day and you get the cricket update but at weekend you'd be lucky. Like this morning, no mention at all on the 8.40 sports news as to how England were getting on in what was a critical game.

Likewise there you had Marion Finucane yesterday reporting in a condescending way that Ireland had beaten Zimbabwe by 5 runs but that she had no idea at what this meant and was just repeating it. Like it was some badge of honour not to understand. She's a well paid media person and intelligent to boot - and it was just plain laziness and thinly veiled indifference on her part, not to make an effort to understand. Not impressed!

I wouldn't come from a cricket stronghold but definitely more interest than I would have had. Any Sport is engrossing no
    when you get into it.cricket not exactly that hard to understand in terms of scoring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

BarryD wrote: »

It's sad that after so many great years cricket in Ireland is still up against that kind of ignorance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

It's sad that after so many great years cricket in Ireland is still up against that kind of ignorance :(
    Marion Finucane is irrelevant. Ignorance is laughable. Lots of betting shops show cricket matches and every time one is on the voiceover bloke says "I know its not everyones cup of tea but Ireland are playing Zimbabwe. Someone should tell him that heroin addicts backing virtual racing isnt either. He is ignorant aswell but it doesnt matter. This team is a fantastic advertisment for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In all honesty though Cricket is generally disliked in Ireland for various reasons. There is an element of ignorance to it but also historical factors as well. Generally it would not be viewed as an exciting sport anyway and it suffers from a commonwealth English tag that is also a barrier for people. In Malahide where the cricket ground is a lot of people there resented the amount of space taken up for it in the park and didn't really see the point of it for example. They still don't. I know because I live in the area.

It's got a long way to go to become an accepted sport if you like up there with the main sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

Love to give it a go but nutin in connaught unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

gufc21 wrote: »

Any of these still going?
    https://sites.google.com/site/connachtcricketunion/Our-Clubs

Ireland bat first.

McBrine out - Thompson in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Batting first. Won the toss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Can Thompson bowl? I've not seen him play before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

gufc21 wrote: »
    Pretty sure there's still a club out past the airport in Cregmore. Was a Cricket Soc/team in NUIG also when I was there.

Barney92 wrote: »
    Can Thompson bowl? I've not seen him play before.

Bowls medium pace. Had some success vs WI but I'm not sure about this move. Guess we'll see. COYBIG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

should have taken out porterfield imo, mediocre scoring and his strike rate has been embarrassingly bad.

josip wrote: »

Nice one. I just casually checked cricket ire website

• Advertisement

What time does the game start?

Advertisement