Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl Cycling Gear - Thurs 12th March

• 09-03-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,986 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=427

Usual stuff for the most part but I spy a road bike saddle with a cutout:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=21903
    Special MEDICUS 3 zone design developed to fit the body’s anatomy for secure support and a comfortable, relaxed sitting position, even over long routes
    Sounds like just what Im looking for, definitely chancing it for less than a tenner anyway.

Any opinions on that spray bottle of chain oil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

Those saddles look comfortable but what I'd be concerned is how strong those metal bars really are. I use a mtb and I wouldn't want to be stuck on the top of a mountain with a broken saddle. I definitely give the cleaning accessories a try and I will go there first thing in the morning to get the bike stand :), I have read good reviews about it. Some people bought it in the UK and then sold it on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Ate the cycling computers any use?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ate the cycling computers any use?

Np they're crap. I had one and it didn't last. The Aldi ones are much better, I've had one for a year now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,986 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They're also ugly as sin in real life. Rebranded €5 Ebay bricks, the last few I looked at anyway.

Same for the lights they always sell, always a real cheap 1990s look to them, you'd think they'd be able to source something decent with their economies of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Thargor wrote: »
    They're also ugly as sin in real life. Rebranded €5 Ebay bricks, the last few I looked at anyway.

Same for the lights they always sell, always a real cheap 1990s look to them, you'd think they'd be able to source something decent with their economies of scale.

Cheers for heads up!
    First time looking at one, not gonna be doing any major cycles.
    I have strava for iphone just cant look at phone all time

• Advertisement

I just put this cheap one on my mountain bike and I love it, its a bit on the big and ugly side aswell but works great and displays four things at once:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/371147540284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You can try the Lidl one anyway and bring it back if you dont like it, they never refuse a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Might check out that gilet, I've been looking for one on the cheaper side for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Thargor wrote: »
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=427

Usual stuff for the most part but I spy a road bike saddle with a cutout:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=21903

Sounds like just what Im looking for, definitely chancing it for less than a tenner anyway.

Any opinions on that spray bottle of chain oil?

Road saddle from a reputable manufacturer.
    9 quid.
    Wittkop.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Not really I have seem some blow apart after a couple of months use.
    Online spend 20euro get the best piece of cycling kit you will ever own.

Airwave on crc 22 delivered is what I have basic but 2yo and going strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

I have the workstand and the floor pump and they are both excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Junior Jacon Jeese Jurger

What about the rain jacket or the soft shell? Worth getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

The soft shells are good in general if they fit you. For me even the small ones are way too big and at 178cm and 80kg I wouldn't consider myself a stick insect type either. Their base layers are generaly sized a lot closer to what normal sizes are, same with the shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭lissard

The track pump is cheap and cheerful, however I wouldn't trust the manometer on it. Recently tested my one against a new toppeak joe blow sport and the pressure gauge was out by a substantial amount (20psi). It's definitely better than not having a track pump at all, but if you're going to be sticking with this cycling gig for the long run it's worth buying something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

viperlogic wrote: »

I have one as my backup pump in work. Doesn't get a whole lot of use, but works fine when I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

How are the lights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Question on the stand: will it hold a flat wide carbon type top tube? I've heard good reviews but don't know will it do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a Compression cycling shirt and Performance base layer cycling top and Performance cycling undershirt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Previous versions of the lights had incredibly brittle plastic brackets, so the light could be still going strong, but the bracket could have broken. I've seen similar problems with some of the other items (brackets for saddle bags, etc.). The tools tend to be poor enough quality too. Only get them while you are saving for decent tools and you are really stuck.

The Undervest/compression vests are good, I would recommend them.

The bike helmets are only a tenner and have a light on the back. I got a few for sportive cycling and they were perfectly adequate in terms of fit and comfort. I'd recommend them too.

Bike stands are very handy for bike maintenance. €30 looks like good value, but I don't have any experience of the ones shown (I've got a Park Tools one at home and it's great, but a lot more expensive, €100+).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a Compression cycling shirt and Performance base layer cycling top and Performance cycling undershirt?

About a fiver.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Ive no idea but i have the last one"cycling undershirt" and it is my favourite base layer...and i have a few from Aigle/On One/cantebury and this is by far the nicest...ill be getting another one tomorrow :)
    Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Ive no idea but i have the last one"cycling undershirt" and it is my favourite base layer...and i have a few from Aigle/On One/cantebury and this is by far the nicest...ill be getting another one tomorrow :)
    Marty

Does it give you a 6-pack like in the picture..?

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zenson

Are the tubes any use or is a tube a tube. Whats the normal size for a road bike

Does it give you a 6-pack like in the picture..?

It actually conceals my 6 pack nicely ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

Avoid the cleaning products !!! By mistake I got some of it on my good-ish bike and tarnished some of the gloss finish.

Was using it on an old MTB to clean up and did a good job. But be careful with it on your prized possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Question on the stand: will it hold a flat wide carbon type top tube? I've heard good reviews but don't know will it do the job.

6 stands on sale in Lidl Roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

The track pump is not worth the money - bought one a couple of years back and the gauge broke after about 3 uses, followed a month later by the chamber springing a leak. Joe Blow all the way.

Worth a punt are:
    The socks (great for running too if you are so inclined)
    The base layers (good fit and materials)
    The gloves (they last as long as any expensive branded ones i.e. not very long)
    The sunglasses (cos you won't give a toss when you inevitably drop/break/lose them)
    The bike stand (invaluable piece of kit, and the cheapest bike stand you will find)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

loinnsigh wrote: »
    The track pump is not worth the money - bought one a couple of years back and the gauge broke after about 3 uses, followed a month later by the chamber springing a leak.

Do you know if it's the exact same pump that you bought 2 years ago that's on sale now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    6 stands on sale in Lidl Roscommon.

I went to the Lidl in Artane this morning at 930 and theyd about 12 stands for sale but the boxes all looked battered and had look of being retaped. I took one from the middle of the pile and am hopping for the best when I get it home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Go up this morning early and am now about 50 quid lighter

Bought
    the stand
    Gloves
    Toolkit
    Cleaner
    Chain oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

jinkypolly wrote: »
    Do you know if it's the exact same pump that you bought 2 years ago that's on sale now?

I don't know. Going by the picture the colour is different but the construction looks the exact same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

neris wrote: »
    I went to the Lidl in Artane this morning at 930 and theyd about 12 stands for sale but the boxes all looked battered and had look of being retaped. I took one from the middle of the pile and am hopping for the best when I get it home

A bike stand is a big heavy lump of steel. I don't think you need to worry about the condition of the cardboard box it comes in!

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between aCompression cycling shirt and Performance base layer cycling top and Performance cycling undershirt

the shirt has a zip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

check_six wrote: »
    A bike stand is a big heavy lump of steel. I don't think you need to worry about the condition of the cardboard box it comes in!

I think the comment might have been to do with all the little bits & pieces being there, not whether there is a big lump of steel in the box :D

Dundrum has a good few stands left, if anyone is interested, I just picked one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newbiecamper

Swords had quiet a few of the stands left 2 hours ago. The stand is more robust than I was expecting. Looks like good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭devonp

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Go up this morning early and am now about 50 quid lighter

Bought
    the stand
    Gloves
    Toolkit
    Cleaner
    Chain oil
    82e lighter
    stand, gloves, socks, base layers.....maybe i should have goten the multitool as well??:confused:

Stand (great by the way..)
    vest
    shorts
    gilet
    base later
    socks
    chain
    oil
    multitool

don't know how much i have spent, don't want to know… :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Stopped in Stillorgan on the way in for the work stand. I was there 8ish, and I was the only one grabbing a workstand.

Picked up a couple of the saddle bags/ multi tool sets while I was there (one for each bike). No idea of the quality yet, but assuming they're the same multi tools as sold seperate, seemed ok value (or even if the tools are crap, that's an alright price for the saddle bag I think).

Chain oil and Cleaner weren't really needed, and didn't seem great value, but they were there... None of the tubes were presta type valves (was going to pick up a few spares).

Only other thing I picked up was another base layer vest - got one before and it's one of my favourites for any sport tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gnarbarian

I am in the market for a new saddle for my MTB, has anybody seen or bought any of the Wittkop saddles they are selling and are they any use?
    Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

gnarbarian wrote: »
    I am in the market for a new saddle for my MTB, has anybody seen or bought any of the Wittkop saddles they are selling and are they any use?

I use the road/race type one on my commuter. Giant Rapid. The saddle that came with it was giving me numbness and Mrs Buchaill_Mor was worried. I thought I would try this one, and I find it very comfortable, and the numbness has gone. I have being using it for over a year now, almost 6 days a week, 40k round commute, and a play on Sunday. I am very happy with it. But that is just my own experience with it.

http://www.wittkop.eu/Home.html (in German). Actually quite a good brand, and do a fair amount of research apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

gnarbarian wrote: »

I looked at the MTB/Road saddle earlier. I didn't take it out of the box but the quality looked ok. It has a fairly big cutout and there is some writing on the box indicating some German Doctor was involved in the design.

I suppose there is only one way to know if its any good for you - and because it costs just a tenner, it shouldn't be the dearest experiment if it doesn't work out!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got some bits a lunch, lights for the kids bikes and some underlayers. Plenty of everything left in LIDL by Marlay park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Had a look at gloves but have seen better, gel padding was poor, Aldi ones are usually better

How are the shorts looking does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Got "held up in traffic" today and dipped into lidl,got the stand to replace the aldi one I reversed my car over. Boxes were battered in my lidl too,but I pulled open the box and all was in there. Not sure how good it will be for a flat top tube,but you could alwas put it on the seat post

Also got some of the silicone oil,it is a really good job for keeping the O-rings in pumps alive for longer,and spraying over the engine cover on the car makes it easier to clean the dust off,as well as the window seals to keep them going up and down faster. Going to be like a child tonight spraying it on everything

Also got one of the undershirts,looks like it will fit me like a dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

JBokeh wrote: »
    Got "held up in traffic" today and dipped into lidl,got the stand to replace the aldi one I reversed my car over. Boxes were battered in my lidl too,but I pulled open the box and all was in there. Not sure how good it will be for a flat top tube,but you could always put it on the seat post

I got the stand too, and like yours the box was all battered but upon opening everything was grand.

Its a hefty piece of kit!.. At first glance and upon assembling it, and giving it a quick try I'm fairly impressed at this early stage.

As regards your flat top tube, I tried it with both my bikes ~ on with a flat top tube and the other is circular. There's also a significant weight difference between both bikes so I tried both at various angles and just moved up and down the gears ~ no problems and both bikes were held firm.

Hope the photos are ok;

341775.jpg

341776.jpg

Really impressed with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Anyone try the rack they have in, as a handlebar rack on a road bike?

Wasn't convinced that it would work to be tempted, but sometimes the pannier rack and bags seem overkill for the commute....

Dora's the stand fold up easy between uses?.. Take up much space when not in use?
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Dora's the stand fold up easy between uses?.. Take up much space when not in use?
    Marty.

It folds up fairly small, if you're stuck for space and trying to imagine if you should get one I can take some photos for you.. But it takes up no more space than a sweeping brush and dust pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

NBar wrote: »
    Had a look at gloves but have seen better, gel padding was poor, Aldi ones are usually better

I just came into the thread to say I'm happy with the gloves. :pac:

Worth 4 quid anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement