Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda Kenny - No more Boom and Bust!

• 09-03-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Famously echoing Gordan Brown's statement to the UK parliament in 1997 I really don't understand why he is giving this hostage to fortune. The Irish Electorate famously rewarded pro cyclical economic policies when they had the chance. I feel would be better if they kept on warning the Irish electorate of what created the boom that led to the bust - populist parties espousing populist economic rhetoric. The great lie that has been allowed emerge - that the Irish Electorate had nothing to do with the economic policy that nearly ruined us must be challenged!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You may be right, but you can forget any of the mainstream parties saying anything like that - indeed, you could make the case that the current government have done everything they could to stoke another property bubble through inaction on things like supply/repossessions in earnest, rents spiking to near boom levels again, people being pushed out into the surrounding counties (just ask anyone who has to drive the M50 these days what effect that's having!) etc

In any case, FG/LAB are in full-on election mode now so expect nothing but "good news" from our friends in Government and their media allies (jobs, more in the exchequer than expected etc) in the run-in to a "giveaway" budget where they attempt to buy votes. They won't be so quick as to remind people about the Shatter/Callinan debacle which still rumbles on, the IW mess (with bills due to arrive in the next few weeks), the cronyism or other such less rosy images. FF/SF will of course be no different as all sides tell average Joe how they've suffered enough and promise him the world in return for a No 1

The more I look around these days, the more I'm convinced that we haven't learned a thing! What's worse is a good number of Average Joe's will buy into this nonsense, and the circle will be complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The more I look around these days, the more I'm convinced that we haven't learned a thing! What's worse is a good number of Average Joe's will buy into this nonsense, and the circle will be complete.
    the reality is they are between a rock and a hard place, they need to go enough to "buy power" again and then once they have secured it, with a decent enough majority hopefully, cool it off for the next 2-3 budgets...

Advertisement