Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bishop of Elphin

• 09-03-2015 1:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

What a fucking arsehole....:mad:

From the Indo

A Catholic Bishop has claimed that women who have abortions after being raped were likely doing so to get back at their rapist.

The Bishop of Elphin Kevin Doran liken the termination of a foetus to that of killing a terminally ill patient, adding that “to kill another human being is always sinful”.

“The child is still a human being, you don’t destroy a life in order to get back at the mother’s rapist,” he said.

Speaking to mark the first day of the Spring Meeting of the Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference, Bishop Doran told Newstalk Breakfast that it was not for him to pass judgement on those women who had travelled to the UK seeking terminations.

“It is between them and God, it isn’t a matter for public debate,” he said when questioned on whether they had committed a ‘sin’.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Lapin wrote: »
    What a fucking arsehole....

A Catholic Bishop has claimed that women who have abortions after being raped were likely doing so to get back at their rapist.

The Bishop of Elphin Kevin Doran liken the termination of a foetus to that of killing a terminally ill patient, adding that “to kill another human being is always sinful”.

“The child is still a human being, you don’t destroy a life in order to get back at the mother’s rapist,” he said.

Speaking to mark the first day of the Spring Meeting of the Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference, Bishop Doran told Newstalk Breakfast that it was not for him to pass judgement on those women who had travelled to the UK seeking terminations.

“It is between them and God, it isn’t a matter for public debate,” he said when questioned on whether they had committed a ‘sin’.

This is the guy who blocked a cancer drug trial in the Mater because the women would have to take contraception (before he was made a Bishop). Also writes on a regular basis for "Alive".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Fcuking arsehole is mild. What an absolute fcuktard to say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Catholic bishop gives fundamentalist catholic opinion.
    Yea, I'm in shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sounds like typical Catholic church 'compassion' to me. I wonder if someone pinned him down and raped him would he forgive his rapist?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Catholic bishop gives fundamentalist catholic opinion.
    Yea, I'm in shock.

Fundamentalist Catholic opinion my hole...
    From Newstalk....

The Bishop of Elphin Kevin Doran has likened homosexuality to Down Syndrome, and also believes that gay parents are not parents.

It comes as the Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference meet for the first time since the date for the referendum on same-sex marriage was announced by the government.

Meanwhile the Children and Family Relationships Bill is making its way through the Oireachtas, in the expectation that it will be passed before the country goes to the polls on May 22nd.

Dr Doran had this to say when it was put to him that gay people in Ireland already have children.

"They may have children - but that's the point - people who have children are not necessarily parents," he said.

"This legislation that the government is introducing - the Children and Family Relationships Bill - seems primarily focused about making it possible for people in various different relationships to have children. It's not about ensuring that children have their parents."

I know of many Catholics who would strongly disagree with such sentiments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Is this the same "man" who said homosexuality is a disorder like down syndrome? Seen that being reported this morning. I'm sure there'll be a few along to defend him soon enough and muddy the waters..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Sounds like typical Catholic church 'compassion' to me. I wonder if someone pinned him down and raped him would he forgive his rapist?

Nobody is saying that would be easy, but it is the church's teaching to forgive and have compassion.

Anyways he's voicing his opinion, which might be a controversial one on boards , as mentioned above is hardly an unexpected opinion given that he's a catholic bishop.

Rape victims are of course likely to he angry at their rapist, however it isn't the child's fault.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

His appalling opinions and diatribe couldn't be of any less significance to me as a modern Irish citizen. I pay about the same amount of attention to his views as I would if any random Rabbi/monk/Imam etc. started spouting that rubbish. Time for Ireland to move on thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Nobody is saying that would be easy, but it is the church's teaching to forgive and have compassion.

Anyways he's voicing his opinion, which might be a controversial one on boards , as mentioned above is hardly an unexpected opinion given that he's a catholic bishop.

Rape victims are of course likely to he angry at their rapist, however it isn't the child's fault.

First part of forgiveness is someone actually saying sorry in the first place. Most rapists don't have any remorse, why should they be forgiven by anyone least of all their victims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

It's also the church's teaching to oppose abortion; I wonder would he be as quick to forgive if he was forced by law to remain pregnant for months and conceive the child. Yes he's giving his opinion, yes it is a controversial opinion, and it absolutely should be called out as callous, and constantly criticised until such beliefs die off completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

his opinion doesn't surprise me in the slightest tbh, I still cannot fathom how the hordes of brainwashed morons are still hanging around the likes of this guy playing groupie with them

BMJD wrote: »
    his opinion doesn't surprise me in the slightest tbh, I still cannot fathom how the hordes of brainwashed morons are still hanging around the likes of this guy playing groupie with them
    It's far easier to be part of the flock than to think for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tabnabs wrote: »
    His appalling opinions and diatribe couldn't be of any less significance to me as a modern Irish citizen. I pay about the same amount of attention to his views as I would if any random Rabbi/monk/Imam etc. started spouting that rubbish. Time for Ireland to move on thankfully.

That's nice. But random rabbis/monks/imams don't control 96% of primary schools and don't have huge influence over many politicians still. Like it or not this man's views and those of the (vile) organisation he represents do matter.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

"People who have children are not necessarily parents"

What are they then? Travelling acrobats? Mice with ideas of grandeur? The Bolivian navy?

People who have had children are not necessarily parents, but those who have children can't be anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

“It is between them and God, it isn’t a matter for public debate,”
    He says on public radio. So what he really wants, is to make stupid statements and end the conversation so no one can call him stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

To say that rape victims would be likely to be angry at their rapist is a massive understatement. To suggest that a child conceived through rape isn't at fault, while accurate, is negligible when a woman is forced to give birth to it. The fact that he is a bishop means that he is in a position to influence public opinion and he should be reprimanded by the church for stating that women aborting a baby conceived through rape, do it out of spite for the rapist, it implies blame on the victim of rape and almost sympathy for the rapist whose child is aborted. His opininion is absolutely ridiculous and out of touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

This isn't surprising considering that we are talking about a man who believes in, and worships an all-powerful being who allows suffering and death on a massive scale. The same being who ignored the rape and allowed it to occur in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

This moron is only highlighting how outdated and insignificant the church and its teachings are in this country. Let him mutter away to himself about his space dad and his fairytales all he wants. The church is dying a death and soon muppets like this won't even get the airtime they still do from certain quarters of the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

This reminds me of the Dominican priest who gave us religious instruction in the 70's. told us 16 year old girls that if we survived rape it was because we hadn't fought hard enough and we secretly wanted it. NO DECENT GIRL WOULD SURVIVE RAPE. Nice isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

He obviously so far up his hole with legalistic canon bull**** he's forgotten the basic principles of Christianity.

• Advertisement

JC01 wrote: »
    This moron is only highlighting how outdated and insignificant the church and its teachings are in this country. Let him mutter away to himself about his space dad and his fairytales all he wants. The church is dying a death and soon muppets like this won't even get the airtime they still do from certain quarters of the media.
    Unfortunately, it's far better that this guy gets airtime in a majority Catholic country like Ireland. Remember, the country could just as easily be running according to his beliefs if people did not stand up to and criticise Catholic doctrine throughout history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Lapin wrote: »
    Fundamentalist Catholic opinion my hole...
    From Newstalk....

The Bishop of Elphin Kevin Doran has likened homosexuality to Down Syndrome, and also believes that gay parents are not parents.

It comes as the Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference meet for the first time since the date for the referendum on same-sex marriage was announced by the government.

Meanwhile the Children and Family Relationships Bill is making its way through the Oireachtas, in the expectation that it will be passed before the country goes to the polls on May 22nd.

Dr Doran had this to say when it was put to him that gay people in Ireland already have children.

"They may have children - but that's the point - people who have children are not necessarily parents," he said.

"This legislation that the government is introducing - the Children and Family Relationships Bill - seems primarily focused about making it possible for people in various different relationships to have children. It's not about ensuring that children have their parents."

I know of many Catholics who would strongly disagree with such sentiments.

Great how he's 'Dr Doran', like so many other bishops. It lends another undeserved layer of authority to what they say, given that a PhD in Theology has no merit whatsoever. It's on a par with Gillian McKeith and that spoof PhD she got from some dodgy internet site.

This reminds me of the Dominican priest who gave us religious instruction in the 70's. told us 16 year old girls that if we survived rape it was because we hadn't fought hard enough and we secretly wanted it. NO DECENT GIRL WOULD SURVIVE RAPE. Nice isn't it?

So basically it would be your own fault because secretly you wanted it you filthy little slut? Is pretty much what he was saying. Nice indeed. No doubt he told himself those altar boys he was raping secretly wanted it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

aidan24326 wrote: »
    So basically it would be your own fault because secretly you wanted it you filthy little slut? Is pretty much what he was saying. Nice indeed. No doubt he told himself those altar boys he was raping secretly wanted it to.
    That's the basic gist. It's the same mentality as that 'legitimate rape' codswallop from a couple of years ago. Women who walk down the wrong street, or wear revealing clothing, or talk to men want to have sex. They might pretend that they don't but that's only so they can lie and tarnish the good names of men, the filthy harlots.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That's nice. But random rabbis/monks/imams don't control 96% of primary schools and don't have huge influence over many politicians still. Like it or not this man's views and those of the (vile) organisation he represents do matter.

Politicians only care about getting re-elected and public opinion. Or do you think Enda Kenny is a regular of the Pantibar?

Schools are there to educate our children. Parents are there to teach morals and life skills. My kids don't have an ounce of religious views or opinions in their heads. The catholic church is irrelevant to modern Irish society.

This individuals views and that of his employers do not matter. Let them go, stop giving them credence and oxygen to survive.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Politicians only care about getting re-elected and public opinion. Or do you think Enda Kenny is a regular of the Pantibar?

Schools are there to educate our children. Parents are there to teach morals and life skills. My kids don't have an ounce of religious views or opinions in their heads. The catholic church is irrelevant to modern Irish society.

This individuals views and that of his employers do not matter. Let them go, stop giving them credence and oxygen to survive.
    That's similar thinking to the religious intelligentsia (scientists, mathematicians, philosophers etc.) who simply compartmentalize their religious belief with their intellectual, rational, enquiring mind, thus giving intellectual cover to the real believers. The real believers are then those you see in Ireland and elsewhere opposing things such as contraception and divorce, to same sex marriage and any leeway surrounding abortion. They lobby the government concerning laws and social policy according to their religious views, and many would support no separation of church and state! You cannot simply say that the Catholic Church is irrelevant to modern Irish society when so many of the statistics are to the contrary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I want more of this guy please. Give him a nightly show on RTE.

Badly damaging the reputation of the anti-SSM side and the Catholic church at the same time. This guy is truly doing god's work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

It's not clear whether he meant "biological" parent, in which case he's obviously correct.

Some people in this thread really working themselves up, with second-hand reports of what a random Dominican purportedly said 40 years ago. The outrage train has left the station and will be stopping at all stations on the route to spitting hysteria.

By the way, the Bishop also pointed out that gay people are equal to straight people, said they were welcome in church, that being gay is not a sin, and said that he believes a pair of gay people could do a perfectly fine job raising children, but no, lets get some kerosene going on our outrage.

Anyone have any quotes from bitter, angry nuns from their childhood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I read about his comments on what he deems a "real" family this morning.

As someone raised in a blended family since the age of 6, I'm hearing all the same arguments used by the anti-divorce side in 1996.

It's funny, I thought slights about not coming from a "real" family would stop once I left the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's funny, I thought slights about not coming from a "real" family would stop once I left the playground.

You overestimate the compassion of fundamentalist bullies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

kylith wrote: »
    Women who walk down the wrong street, or wear revealing clothing, or talk to men want to have sex. They might pretend that they don't but that's only so they can lie and tarnish the good names of men, the filthy harlots.

And that whole thing is super insulting to men too. What, like ye're all animals who can't control yourselves in the presence of a bit of female flesh? Every man is a potential rapist apparently. Those dastardly women. And men. We might as well just destroy the human race right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

conorh91 wrote: »

Anyone have any quotes from bitter, angry nuns from their childhood?

The upcoming generations won't have.............. Thanks be ta fuck

mikom wrote: »
    The upcoming generations won't have.............. Thanks be ta fuck

My mother still bears the mental and emotional scars of one particular nun she and her friends were subjected to for 3 consecutive years in primary.

She actually still gets quite upset talking about her, and she's grateful I never had that kind of experience in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This guy is clearly a ****ing cretin.

DarkJager wrote: »
    This guy is clearly a ****ing cretin.

He's not the only one who feels that way unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Is this the same "man" who said homosexuality is a disorder like down syndrome? Seen that being reported this morning. I'm sure there'll be a few along to defend him soon enough and muddy the waters..

There's been quite a few misleading headlines about the Down's Syndrome comment.

I think he was asked did God purposely create people gay and he said that that was like saying that God created Down's Syndrome or something to that effect.

I was only casually listening to the radio this morning as I was just finishing a night shift so what I picked up might not be 100% if so I apologize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I read about his comments on what he deems a "real" family this morning.
    He didn't use the term "real family" at all; he said he felt sure that the non-traditional family is capable of doing a good job raising children.
    There's been quite a few misleading headlines about the Down's Syndrome comment.

I think he was asked did God purposely create people gay and he said that that was like saying that God created Down's Syndrome or something to that effect.
    That's correct. In fact he said he personally accepts a genetic explanation for homosexuality, which is a lot more progressive and open-minded than some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

My mother still bears the mental and emotional scars of one particular nun she and her friends were subjected to for 3 consecutive years in primary.

She actually still gets quite upset talking about her, and she's grateful I never had that kind of experience in school.

Get her to pm conorh91.
    He of the "outrage train".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

He's not the only one who feels that way unfortunately :(

I know. One look at the comments section on the journal article on this will show you the level of like minded imbeciles we have in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I heard the interview, he was asked if it was sinful for a woman who was raped and who became pregnant to have an abortion.
    He was hardly going to say no, its not sinful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RobertKK wrote: »
    I heard the interview, he was asked if it was sinful for a woman who was raped and who became pregnant to have an abortion.
    He was hardly going to say no, its not sinful.
    That's the point though. The more people come to realise that the Catholic dogma is at odds with their own personal beliefs, the sooner we get to remove the church's claws from our government and they demoted to little more than a sideshow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sounds like one of them usual nutters that goes into religion to preach their own brand on nonsense. Plenty around look at all them nuns in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

seamus wrote: »
    That's the point though. The more people come to realise that the Catholic dogma is at odds with their own personal beliefs, the sooner we get to remove the church's claws from our government and they demoted to little more than a sideshow.

Hmmmm... reading this forum for the past 5 years or so, I have come to the sad conclusion that religious brainwashing is such a powerful force, that some people on here would sooner apply all kinds of twisted cognitive dissociation gymnastics to any social issue at hand, rather than surrender the Catholic label part of their identity.

In fact, it is such a powerful force, that, going to the other extreme, you also get all kinds of self-proclaimed atheists whose conservative opinions on the host of the country's hottest social issues Dr Doran would only be too proud of. That is a particularly Irish phenomenon too, imo.

seenitall wrote: »
    Hmmmm... reading this forum for the past 5 years or so, I have come to the sad conclusion that religious brainwashing is such a powerful force, that some people on here would sooner apply all kinds of twisted cognitive dissociation gymnastics to any social issue at hand, rather than surrender the Catholic label part of their identity.

I think we've come a huge way in the last 30 years tbf. In 1985 homosexuality was still illegal, you couldn't buy condoms over the counter and you couldn't divorce.

We still have a huge way to go, but just try to remember how far we've come in a (relatively) short space of time. My kids will grow up in a vastly different country to the Ireland of the 1980s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

seamus wrote: »

The issue is a lot of people who would consider themselves Catholic at the same time associate those as 2 distinctly different things. It's a rather odd way of looking at it, as both are usually rather ingrained in other religions.

Personally for me as I'm sure it may have been for others, as a kid all being a Catholic meant, was I was told I was one and later on when I was a teenager that whole transubstantiation thing. I doubt they've gone more in depth on it since.

I expect it's the main reason for A La Carte Catholics. I honestly don't blame'em though. We were brought up to be ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The sooner all religions are eradicated the better. At least then so called people like this wouldn't be given any platform to spout vitriolic statements like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

KKkitty wrote: »
    The sooner all religions are eradicated the better. At least then so called people like this wouldn't be given any platform to spout vitriolic statements like that.

Don't need to have a religion to spout nonsense. Being racist for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Don't need to have a religion to spout nonsense. Being racist for example.

If this man wasn't a priest or whatever would anyone listen to him though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

KKkitty wrote: »
    If this man wasn't a priest or whatever would anyone listen to him though?

Jesus wasn't a priest and plenty of people listened to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Jesus wasn't a priest and plenty of people listened to him.

Correct. Jesus wasn't a priest and here isn't Judea and now isn't 2000 years ago.

:rolleyes:

seenitall wrote: »
    Correct. Jesus wasn't a priest and here isn't Judea and now isn't 2000 years ago.

:rolleyes:

My point was that a man doesn't need a title to be listened to and gather a following. Doesn't matter what he's saying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement