Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bishop of Elphin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't agree with his views, but I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to air them. How can you win a debate if you're not prepared to listen to the other side?

Typical of the burgeoning shouty, "I'm right and everyone else is a caveman" attitude that many neckbeards have developed. Usually they are sweaty, pot bellied, Che t shirt students who are ultra left wing and PC mad as long as it's still cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭volchitsa

reprise wrote: »
    Far from shocking or unique.

Ethical dilemmas are very much a secular headache too.
    I don't think you'll find a secular ethics board which needs to spend any time considering whether it might be ethical to force a woman who has been raped to gestate against her will.

This frees up time for genuine ethical dilemmas about end of life care and so on. IMe Ireland's hospitals could do with a bit more real ethical care, as opposed to theology disguised as ethics.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Eutow wrote: »
    If he no longer holds any influence on hospital boards, schools etc, I say let him talk this nonscene and he can be easily defeated by good arguements. That way more people will turn away from people like him. No ethical or right thinking organisation will have him anywhere with influence to dictate policy.

He's a bishop so is the patron of RC schools in his diocese, so yes he has influence and appoints his representative onto every school board.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

I don't agree with his views, but I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to air them. How can you win a debate if you're not prepared to listen to the other side?

I dont think he said anything we haven't heard multiple times though, many of us since primary school. The church has privileged access eve when it has nothing new to say (though the business about God being non-omnipotent intrigues me - what exactly did he say please?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

By all means people should have the freedom to air their views, that way people can discriminate as to whether they're even worthy engaging with or not. Sometimes it's better to pick your battles than to try and have a debate when the other side has no qualms about talking utter nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

More so the fact that the other two had a problem with contraception.
    Whatever about abortion, which non religious can be against for ethical reasons.

I am no expert but the very brief look at the issue surrounding contraception did suggest a compromise that involved advising abstinence as opposed to mandating contraception. There is more to the issue than meets the eye and ample opportunity to misrepresent the individuals concerned.

As the treatment was ultimately approved, it's irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

He's a bishop so is the patron of RC schools in his diocese, so yes he has influence and appoints his representative onto every school board.

Why am I not suprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I am no expert but the very brief look at the issue surrounding contraception did suggest a compromise that involved advising abstinence as opposed to mandating contraception. There is more to the issue than meets the eye and ample opportunity to misrepresent the individuals concerned.

A celibate man, celibate woman and some holy joe telling somebody that they can't have sexual relations during what could be the remainder of their lives when theres a simple precaution available...Yeah, that's a real fucking alternative alright.

He can eff off, telling grown adults they shouldn't have sex because they are being treated in a 'catholic' hospital paid for by taxpayers' money?

Eff that right effing off.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Why am I not suprised.

It's why we give out. If this was John Waters we'd have started taking the piss by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

He can eff off, telling grown adults they shouldn't have sex because they are being treated in a 'catholic' hospital paid for by taxpayers' money?

Eff that right effing off.

If it's a Catholic hospital, unmarried pregnant women shouldn't be treated as it's against a fundamental of the church's belief

Icepick wrote: »
    He also said that god isn't omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient, and that it's apparently a common view held by Catholics. Was news to me.

Is god willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him god?

- Epicurus

That's the problem there though, and seems very Irish. An Irish solution to an Irish problem. Rather than just giving out the drug and telling the patient to take contraception, they have to insert the "Oh we can't advice you to take contraception because it is against catholic teachings, so practice abstinence", but knowing this isn't very practical.

The fact that it needlessly delayed things makes it relevant. It is just stupid and pointless, and potentially dangerous.

I am no expert but the very brief look at the issue surrounding contraception did suggest a compromise that involved advising abstinence as opposed to mandating contraception.
    Why exactly would it be more important for women to avoid using artificial contraception than to have lung cancer treatment though? How can those two issues even be considered to have the same level of importance that the cancer treatment could possibly be delayed because of questions about whether the catholic church approved or not?

And why was contraception advised if not because there was a possible risk of fetal abnormality? So why would it ever be considered acceptable to allow women to run the risk of getting pregnant with a disabled baby rather than just tell her to use contraception?

It certainly was relevant for the women whose treatment was delayed by several months though! Or maybe you don't understand that lung cancer treatment is often time-critical?

If it's a Catholic hospital, unmarried pregnant women shouldn't be treated as it's against a fundamental of the church's belief

And that raises a fair point. To the best of my knowledge, there is no requirement to be a catholic as a patient in the Mater nor are they refusing treatment to women on the pill for example.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Why ..... maybe you don't understand that lung cancer treatment is often time-critical?

I'm not on the board, I am not a Bishop, nor am I an oncologist so I really cannot answer your questions.

I'm not on the board, I am not a Bishop, nor am I an oncologist so I really cannot answer your questions.

Cancer from the lungs could spread to the brain while a hospital board decides for six months whether to allow a drug or not because contraception has to be used. By then the patient is dead, or at best, that drug will no longer be effective on the barely alive patient.

That's just an example, no medical knowledge myself.

Well then you shouldn't try to explain away stuff you don't understand, should you? It matters that women's treatment for lung cancer because of the churhc's belief that contraception is so evil that it is worth refusing them access to lung cancer drugs rather than advise them to use it, and that it is worth knowingly risking babies being born with unknown disabilities (since it was a new drug) than advising women to use the most effective form of contraception, instead of none.

Cancer from the lungs could spread to the brain while a hospital board decides for six months whether to allow a drug or not because contraception has to be used. By then the patient is dead, or at best, that drug will no longer be effective on the barely alive patient.

That's just an example, no medical knowledge myself.

Well exactly, that is common knowledge. The fact that Reprise is so transparently trying to avoid saying something that the vast majority of people in the country know shows that he's not even being honest..

• Advertisement

Cancer from the lungs could spread to the brain while a hospital board decideds for six months whether to allow a drug or not because contraception has to be used. By then the patient is dead, or at best, that drug will no longer be affective.

Drugs can and have been delayed for years over cost and/or contraindication issues that have nothing to do with religion. No threads about these though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

^^^^^^^

It just shows you how far Ireland still needs to go to be dragged into the 21st century. How is a priest, nun or bishop given the opportunity to suit on a hospital board. Why are hospitals still owned by a religious organisation. Forcing religious beliefs on hospials, having a religious ethos. Fking ridiculous.

I'd love to see a complete seperation of Church and State. Keep religion out of schools and while we're at it get rid of the Irish language classes as well. If we eliminated religion and Irish from the curriculum the money saved could be used to provide teachers to educate kids in subjects that actually matter.

Drugs can and have been delayed for years over cost and/or contraindication issues that have nothing to do with religion. No threads about these though.
    Pure whataboutery - always shows when someone has been pwned.

...because concerns over cost effectiveness and harm to patients is perfectly equivalent to the objections of people who have a problem with contraception.....

Well then you shouldn't try to explain away stuff you don't understand, should you? It matters that women's treatment for lung cancer because of the churhc's belief that contraception is so evil that it is worth refusing them access to lung cancer drugs rather than advise them to use it, and that it is worth knowingly risking babies being born with unknown disabilities (since it was a new drug) than advising women to use the most effective form of contraception, instead of none.

I'm not explaining anything away. I laid out the facts as I know them.
    Well exactly, that is common knowledge. The fact that Reprise is so transparently trying to avoid saying something that the vast majority of people in the country know shows that he's not even being honest..

Hyperbole isn't honesty.

Pure whataboutery - always shows when someone has been pwned.

LOL My kids use that expression too :D

• Advertisement

You can't compare a delay in drugs being allowed on the market because of religious beliefs to a delay because of a lack of knowledge on effectiveness, potential serious side-effects etc

I'd love to see a complete seperation of Church and State. Keep religion out of schools

Long overdue, but may be a while before that happens due to the spineless politicans that pollute the country.

I'm not explaining anything away. I laid out the facts as I know them.

Hyperbole isn't honesty.

Except you then claimed not even to know what any adult of normal intelligence in the country probably knows - that creating unnecessary delays in access to lung cancer treatment is potentially fatal to the people concerned. Where is the hyperbole there?

Except you then claimed not even to know what any adult of normal intelligence in the country probably knows - that creating unnecessary delays in access to lung cancer treatment is potentially fatal to the people concerned. Where is the hyperbole there?

I am not claiming to know what the vast majority of people know about oncology in an increasingly insulting and sneery manner. Feel free to tone down your comments.

You can't compare a delay in drugs being allowed on the market because of religious beliefs to a delay because of a lack of knowledge on effectiveness, potential serious side-affects etc

I'm not making that comparison, I am stating that other considerations can and do cause delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Lapin wrote: »
    What a fucking arsehole....:mad:

From the Indo

A Catholic Bishop has claimed that women who have abortions after being raped were likely doing so to get back at their rapist.

The Bishop of Elphin Kevin Doran liken the termination of a foetus to that of killing a terminally ill patient, adding that “to kill another human being is always sinful”.

“The child is still a human being, you don’t destroy a life in order to get back at the mother’s rapist,” he said.

Speaking to mark the first day of the Spring Meeting of the Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference, Bishop Doran told Newstalk Breakfast that it was not for him to pass judgement on those women who had travelled to the UK seeking terminations.

“It is between them and God, it isn’t a matter for public debate,” he said when questioned on whether they had committed a ‘sin’.

He is a citizen and is entitled to his opinion just as any other citizen is entitled to theirs

I don't think he said anything about the victim forgiving the rapist but rather not taking it out on an innocent unborn child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I listened to the whole segment and he did not say one sensible thing
    • All people are equal in the eyes of God and in the eyes of the State.
    • Gay people are just as welcome at mass as straight people
    • Same-sex relationships contain love and affection
    • The Catholic Church is not an expert on nature vs nurture
    • It is not a sin to be gay in the eyes of the Church
    • All children deserve equal love and care, whether their parents are gay or straight, or single parents, etc.
    • He felt sure that a gay couple were capable of raising children well.

You don't agree with any of this? You don't think any of those points are "sensible"?

I wonder how many people actually listened to the interview, and I wonder how many of those listened to the comments on the whole.

I disagree with a few of the things he said, but most of what he said was perfectly sensible.

Most people seem to be basing their opinion on what the Indo wrote. The same people probably regularly criticise the Indo when it suits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Has anyone said he is not entitled to his opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I've just listened to the full interview and I think the bishop was fair and reasonable in everything he said. He didn't come across as someone who is anti-gay etc.

The bishop even admitted that he had questioned his sexuality when he was younger so could understand what gay people are going through

What people have to remember is that being anti-Gay Marriage is not the same as being anti-gay

For some reason there is a very anti-Catholic bias in the Irish media and on this site and people are very quick to attack any priest who dares to give an opinion.

Lets not forget that priests are men who have forsaken everything to help their fellow human beings in times of need.

jahalpin wrote: »
    I've just listened to the full interview and I think the bishop was fair and reasonable in everything he said. He didn't come across as someone who is anti-gay etc.

Ye reckon?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94606997&postcount=7985

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Typical of the burgeoning shouty, "I'm right and everyone else is a caveman" attitude that many neckbeards have developed. Usually they are sweaty, pot bellied, Che t shirt students who are ultra left wing and PC mad as long as it's still cool.

Most of the time I've found neckbeards to be be massively sexist (e.g. calling for the likes of date rapists like Ched Evans to be declared innocent) rather than massively PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

where the **** is Elphin??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Most of the time I've found neckbeards to be be massively sexist (e.g. calling for the likes of date rapists like Ched Evans to be declared innocent) rather than massively PC.

One thing I know about neckbeards, they don't take too kindly to shaving :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

What an absolute little sewer rat, Why are these "peoples" opinions even printed ?

Would the indo also run up a story on a homeless lad writing poetry in **** under some bridge ?

They should do, his opinion is probably more valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If what he said was so acceptable, how come he has had to apologise for his comments? Like I said, I listened to the interview and what you have posted below is out of context.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0310/685963-same-sex-marriage-referendum/
    conorh91 wrote: »
    • All people are equal in the eyes of God and in the eyes of the State.
    • Gay people are just as welcome at mass as straight people
    • Same-sex relationships contain love and affection
    • The Catholic Church is not an expert on nature vs nurture
    • It is not a sin to be gay in the eyes of the Church
    • All children deserve equal love and care, whether their parents are gay or straight, or single parents, etc.
    • He felt sure that a gay couple were capable of raising children well.

You don't agree with any of this? You don't think any of those points are "sensible"?

I wonder how many people actually listened to the interview, and I wonder how many of those listened to the comments on the whole.

I disagree with a few of the things he said, but most of what he said was perfectly sensible.

Most people seem to be basing their opinion on what the Indo wrote. The same people probably regularly criticise the Indo when it suits them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

One thing I found interesting was his statement (paraphrasing) 'that things happen that god does not intend to happen, because if everything that happens was part of gods intention, then he would be a very different god to the one he believes in....'

How the **** does that work when the god you believe in is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient.

Combining these three properties means that nothing that has ever happened could have been 'unintended' by god.

God 'knew' before everything started, how everything will end, and every quantum of time in between.

Either god is all powerful, or 'he' isn't

Either god is 'all knowing' or 'he' isn't

Either god is 'omnipresent' or 'he' isn't

God doesn't get to use the 'oops, that didn't go according to plan' excuse and still be the christian god.

Nothing about christianity is coherent if you think about it properly, and that fact that old men in silly hats still have a platform to influence government and social policy in the 21st century is such a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You just can't match up present day sensibilities with a 2,000 year old dogma. I have more respect for an evangelical that says 'if you're gay, you will burn in hell', rather than someone who tries to rationalise a fantastical argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Chorcai wrote: »
    I'm don't know lord of the rings that well, is it middle earth or is that just were the leprechauns come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Akrasia wrote: »
    One thing I found interesting was his statement (paraphrasing) 'that things happen that god does not intend to happen, because if everything that happens was part of gods intention, then he would be a very different god to the one he believes in....'
    He.... he does know that an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnicognisant god is the cornerstone of his religion, right? If something can happen that 'he' doesn't intend then he is not the all-powerful creator of everything; he's just some jumped up djinn or afreet in a toga. I mean, if a god isn't all powerful then what's the frigging point!? He's not a god, is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I saw this. The Bishop talking about the victims of rape rather coldly considering a lot of what we now know about the church and it's cover up seems very cruel.

Forget about logical arguments a 'normal' person knows you really should not talk so callously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I saw this. The Bishop talking about the victims of rape rather coldly considering a lot of what we now know about the church and it's cover up seems very cruel.

Forget about logical arguments a 'normal' person knows you really should not talk so callously.

Welcome to religious conservatism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

If what he said was so acceptable, how come he has had to apologise for his comments?
    Conorh91 wrote:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Chorcai wrote: »
    Roscommon, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

jahalpin wrote: »
    He is a citizen and is entitled to his opinion just as any other citizen is entitled to theirs

He is a citizen with a loud hailer offered to him by the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Slightly OT but here goes anyway.

Last year, due to winning a poetry competition, my daughter was invited to a function that was also attended by the President. It was to celebrate the 100th anniversary of a local school. One of the items on the agenda was for the President to be presented with a framed copy of the 10 winning poems and the authors would get to read their work for him. However when that segment came the principal stood up and announced that instead we'd be having a speech from a surprise guest. Yeah, you guessed it. The newly crowned bishop of fu*king Elphin. He jabbered on for half an hour and then we were told the President had to be at another function at 2 o clock and had to go. There were ten very disappointed children there that day.

Advertisement