Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopt a dog.

• 09-03-2015 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

So we have 2 King Charles, one 9 (Lola) and the other 6(Dora). Unfortunately due to a host of health problems we have to get the 9 year old put down soon.

We want another dog and thinking of getting a pup from a rescue and introducing it into the family before Lola is put down.

Dora has always had Lola for walks and stuff so we think it will be better for her also.

Is this a good or bad idea?

We have years of experience with dogs of all sizes (call my mother the dog whisperer). And Dora and Lola are good with other dogs (Dora can be very playful).

Any opinions welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

IMO I wouldn’t be inclined to get a puppy while your olderdog is unwell and soon to be PTS.

Im sure she’s notfeeling 100% and a puppy can be VERY annoying to an older dog let alone oncewho is sickly.

My guy who’s nearly 10 and in tip top shape, adores other dogs BUT he hates puppies… they are to skittish, pawing him all the time… he frets, pants and get very stressed, this happens only around puppies when they are going mental i.e. being a puppy. Now he doesn’t growl or bark but it really stresses him out. I can only imagine how he would be in he was anyway unwell.

IMO let your older dog live out her life and introduce a new dog once she has passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Sorry to hear about your dog OP :(

Any reputable rescue will suggest that you wait until Lola is gone. A new dog, let alone a pup, is a big change for everyone involved. Couple that with the fact that you'll be loosing a much loved pet at the same time, well it's just too much to expect you, the new dog and your existing dogs to cope with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I know a lady who was in a similar position to you. She knew her other dog wouldn't cope without another dog for company. What she did was get in touch with a rescue she was interested in adopting from before her dog was put to sleep.

She completed all pre-adoption requirements such as home check etc. and she took on a new dog to foster within a couple of days of her dog's passing. She found it a great distraction to help her get over the grief.

She was lucky that there was a suitable dog available, but she was looking to adopt a lurcher and it is always very easy to find one to suit every type of home. So, depending on whether you are looking for a particular breed/age etc. it might not happen for you as quickly as this lady but it might be no harm to take the same approach as her and see what the rescue say.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Vel wrote: »
    I know a lady who was in a similar position to you. She knew her other dog wouldn't cope without another dog for company. What she did was get in touch with a rescue she was interested in adopting from before her dog was put to sleep.

She completed all pre-adoption requirements such as home check etc. and she took on a new dog to foster within a couple of days of her dog's passing. She found it a great distraction to help her get over the grief.

She was lucky that there was a suitable dog available, but she was looking to adopt a lurcher and it is always very easy to find one to suit every type of home. So, depending on whether you are looking for a particular breed/age etc. it might not happen for you as quickly as this lady but it might be no harm to take the same approach as her and see what the rescue say.

This seems like a better solution. Thanks for that.

I'd just like to add that I live with 4 sisters and a niece so the new pup wouldn't be given too much time to be a hindrance on Lola. But all input has been taken on board and I'll discuss it with my mother.

Thanks everyone.

Advertisement