Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park tunnel: 4 trains per hour from 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

kc56 wrote: »
    IE just confirmed that to me too.

The P2P to Heuston plus Add-on was converted to a P2P to GCD by IE before being issued. Apparently they did this for all new P2P tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The P2P to Heuston plus Add-on was converted to a P2P to GCD by IE before being issued. Apparently they did this for all new P2P tickets.

Mine was issued on December 1, and they're now saying I need to cancel my Heuston plus feeder (which was their recommendation), lose the value of the annual ticket so far and get a new ticket - my current one remains valid for travel, but won't let me leave Dublin Pearse!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Surely they need to refund you in this case
    aodh_rua wrote: »
    Mine was issued on December 1, and they're now saying I need to cancel my Heuston plus feeder (which was their recommendation), lose the value of the annual ticket so far and get a new ticket - my current one remains valid for travel, but won't let me leave Dublin Pearse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

That sounds to me to be just a simple swap via cancel and reissue. If its a 12 month that sounds like your getting a new one minus the month or so difference that your old one began.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I just tried this service yesterday...anyone else find it shockingly slow considering the (relatively) short distance covered?

I could have got to Newry faster than Newbridge from Connoly

• Advertisement

How long did the journey take?
    XPS_Zero wrote: »
    I just tried this service yesterday...anyone else find it shockingly slow considering the (relatively) short distance covered?

I could have got to Newry faster than Newbridge from Connoly

How long did the journey take?

56-58 min direct, 61 with a change at Hazelhatch, 76 via Luas and Houston.
    It's a stopping service with 7 stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

There seems to be a 20mph speed limit from Liffey junction through to Glasnevin?

Anyway, it's very slow this evening due to a points failure at Connolly Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

That's the timetabled time of the journey.

Still a good hour+ quicker than car though. :)

Seanmk1 wrote: »
    There seems to be a 20mph speed limit from Liffey junction through to Glasnevin?

Anyway, it's very slow this evening due to a points failure at Connolly Station.

20mph in the tunnel, 30mph elsewhere due to curves. The tunnel limit is due to a reduced clearance between the tracks to cater for freight trains.

• Advertisement

Delacent wrote: »
    That's the timetabled time of the journey.

Still a good hour+ quicker than car though. :)

And more dependable; just look at the almost daily crashes on the N7.

Need I say more?
    KILDARE: Reports of a crash on M7 Dublin/Limerick Rd s'bound at J7 Kill blocking right lane, delays from J5 Athgoe. http://theAA.ie/Roadwatch
    https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/822503123700895745

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

20mph in the tunnel, 30mph elsewhere due to curves. The tunnel limit is due to a reduced clearance between the tracks to cater for freight trains.

Islandbridge Jct. to Connolly has a max speed of 30 mph. The Permanent Speed Restriction through the Phoenix Park Tunnel was reduced from 30mph to 20mph at the launch.

Previously it wasn't permitted to signal two trains (one in each direction) through the tunnel at the same time due to limited clearance. This restriction was relaxed at the expense of a reduction in speed to 20mph to reduce the kinematic envelope of the trains.

The restriction of passing trains in the tunnel still applies to Freight Trains and RPSI Stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's a fairly long straight section north of the tunnel, 30 mph seems quite low?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

There's a fairly long straight section north of the tunnel, 30 mph seems quite low?

It always was 30mph.

I've no idea why it wasn't increased. I thought 50mph up to the curve at Cabra might have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

It always was 30mph.

I've no idea why it wasn't increased. I thought 50mph up to the curve at Cabra might have happened.

Yep same here. I fail to see the reason it can't be done. 50mph along that straight seems a no brainer. Knocks mins off the entire run.

Connolly to Newbridge direct in 56-61 minutes is not bad

For direct comparison, Enfield would be a similar distance on the Maynooth Line without having to negotiate the tunnel. Connolly to Enfield is about 45 minutes.

10-15 minutes wouldnt get you far in a car during rush hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Yep same here. I fail to see the reason it can't be done. 50mph along that straight seems a no brainer. Knocks mins off the entire run.

The straight stretch is less than a mile, a train accelerating from 20mph and then slowing down for the next 30mph would average perhaps 45mph. if one mile, that is a saving of about 35-40 seconds. If the straight is less than one mile the saving is less.
    However I do agree that the line speed should be raised, every little helps make rail more competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It always was 30mph.

Going towards GCD would it not be more less guaranteed to that trains would be shown a danger aspect before that signal that clears the junction. Given the short stretch there couldn't be more than two on the stretch between the tunnel end and junction. So would increasing it make much difference at least inbound.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They have the timetabling based around the journey time. If they increased the line speed that would knock out their timetable.

spacetweek wrote: »
    They have the timetabling based around the journey time. If they increased the line speed that would knock out their timetable.

Timetabled times have about 5 mins padding to allow for inevitable delays so speeding up the tunnel section wouldn't result in any savings.
    If the trains are on-time, then they pause at reds; if they are late, they run almost non-stop Drumcondra - Parkwest and vice-versa. Swings and roundabouts. Reliability and making connections more important than shaving a minute of the run time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Those aspects should apply to Maynooth line services also, but punctuality and also connections with DART (northbound) appear to be a distant afterthought.

Besides, shaving that minute would make those services more reliable in the first instance.

It's also worth noting there a 30 mph restriction from Broombridge all the way to Glasnevin Junction (and beyond?) There are curved parts of the track on the same line with higher speed limits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭thomasj

17:15 connolly longford has broken down in drumcondra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The demand for the PPT morning services seems to be increasing. By the time the 7:20 from Newbridge reached Park West on Tuesday, it was standing room only.

The evening services seem to have less users. For me, timetabling makes the trip to Heuston to connect to more direct trains a better option.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The demand for the PPT morning services seems to be increasing. By the time the 7:20 from Newbridge reached Park West on Tuesday, it was standing room only.

The evening services seem to have less users. For me, timetabling makes the trip to Heuston to connect to more direct trains a better option.
    Not surprised. The M7 in the mornings is like dying a slow death, especially for city centre commuters the rail link makes so much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

I have used this service everyday since it began from Adamstown to Grand Canal. It started off slow but has gotten busier and busier by the week (and looks set to set to be even busier - I notice more and more college students using it lately).

At this stage there are no seats left by Clondalkin, and standing room only on the evening return I'm on. Having endured the standard bus or drive crawl to town for years this PPT is a good news story for my commute to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly the service itself is a good thing its just the pathing issues that need to be sorted out. Should have an off peak service as well though atm I think it would be better that they ran one bigger train every 30min during the rush rather than 3 every 20min if they cant sort out redoing every link. Some of these trains are running only 2min behind the existing services that leaves no padding if a train is delayed and the chain reaction that happens is a testament to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Got this train(Cherry Orchard to Pearse) for the first time on Tuesday. Was wonderful for me however I don't normally work where I am this week so I won't be a regular user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Is there any timeline for the implimentation of phase 2 (off peak and weekend services) or is it just when/if Irish Rail want to go ahead with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is there any timeline for the implimentation of phase 2 (off peak and weekend services) or is it just when/if Irish Rail want to go ahead with it?

I would imagine that they would want to implement a full timetable revision when implementing more services through the ppt. I believe there a number of outstanding disputes with unions over rosters that is delaying the full timetable revision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭thomasj

If you cannot fill a 4-coach intercity train on a commuter service, there is something seriously wrong.

Commuter trains on maynooth line and northern line carry 3-4 times the capacity of an intercity railcar set.

Docklands trains sure are leaving people behind on platforms because these trains they are using haven't got the capacity.

In fairness though it is a start but tbh you shouldn't be using intercity trains on a commuter line.

Advertisement