Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park tunnel: 4 trains per hour from 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

loyatemu wrote: »
    the 22Ks just aren't suitable for busy commuter services - Irish Rail need to buy more proper commuter sets.

can the interiors be converted or modified?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

ClovenHoof wrote: »

No and while more commuter sets may be needed, there is no immediate hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i'm sure they could but they won't as it wouldn't actually solve the problem unfortunately, but would create further problems.
    you still have the door layout issue in terms of suburban services, and then the issue of the converted ones ending up on long distance journeys (which they definitely would)

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The interiors are not the main issue. The single leaf end doors are.

The first thing they could do is provide even aircon so that the vestibules aren't ovens in even vaguely warm weather - and steam rooms in wet. Had to buzz the driver to get a Sligo train held at Maynooth a few weeks ago so a woman who had fainted in the baking vestibule could receive attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

This week I made my second visit to the PPT services, the previous time was during the Bus Eireann dispute. On that occasion the services to and from beyond Hazelhatch were enjoying extra patronage.

This week I travelled on the 1620 to Hazelhatch, I was in an intermediate car of the four car set. I had an eight seat bay to myself, The bay in front of me was the same - 2 passengers in 16 seats. At Drumcondra another man joined, as far as Parkwest, 3/16, then back to 2/16.
    some other vehicles may have been a little more used, but not much. DART trains leaving town at this time would have most seat full with a few standing.

Since the leapcard zone has been extended to Sallins, I took the next train, which had left town closer to the rush hour peak, bound for Newbridge, leaving the Hatch it was less than half full.

While I am glad that the PPT route reopened to regular commuter traffic, in spite of delays due to lack of discipline on what is becoming a network, I cannot condone the use of ICRs on this service at present, a 2 car 2800 set would be more than adequate for the moment.

As many people including myself observed when the timetable was announced, there is far too much padding in the section journey times. Between Drumcondra and Parkwest, we rarely exceeded 20 mph,mostly trundling along at bicycle speed. We then had long dwell times at each station, rarely less than 2 minutes.

Put the ICRs on long distance trains and stop wasting them, and speed up the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

1725 off GCD is full to standing, 270-300 people normally, which won't fit in a 2 car 2800

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

1725 off GCD is full to standing, 270-300 people normally, which won't fit in a 2 car 2800

there are definitely a couple of peak services surrounded by much quieter ones

The trains from Hazelhatch to GCD in the morning are busy from 7-8 or so

the 0830 is very quiet though

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

In fairness most people are not out of work at 16:20, schools are barely off at that stage.

Especially around the GCD area where its FAR FAR more likely in those companies you'll be staying late than you'll be leaving early.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    In fairness most people are not out of work at 16:20, schools are barely off at that stage.

Especially around the GCD area where its FAR FAR more likely in those companies you'll be staying late than you'll be leaving early.

The pre-5pm trains from Docklands are jammed - finance sector has a mix of horrific hours and quite sedate ones as well as pretty much universal flexitime. GCD does tilt more towards tech. Doubt Irish Rail even pay attention to that when planing schedules!

Especially around the GCD area where its FAR FAR more likely in those compan ies you'll be staying late than you'll be leaving early.

These trains merely start from GCD, their main boarding points are Pearse, Tara St and Connolly, same as DART and otherdiesel commuter.

These other services are well patronised by 1620 - 1630.

• Advertisement

I do wonder why they dont all just go to Newbridge they seem to stagger going short of that half the time why is that?

I do wonder why they dont all just go to Newbridge they seem to stagger going short of that half the time why is that?

Because there is no available routing for all of them currently. It would require a full Heuston schedule change which is not happening for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Because there is no available routing for all of them currently. It would require a full Heuston schedule change which is not happening for a while yet.

How about the idea of running the Hazelhatch only services to Park West and then allow for a timed arrival of a train from Hueston. This would help free up capacity as trains would now only have to run as far as Park West and not all the way to Hazelhatch.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »

How about the idea of running the Hazelhatch only services to Park West and then allow for a timed arrival of a train from Hueston. This would help free up capacity as trains would now only have to run as far as Park West and not all the way to Hazelhatch.

They have to run to Hazelhatch or Adamstown because of the bay platfrom. No reversing/wrong line running allowed on the quad track.

New timetable will allow more to run to Newbridge instead and I am sure a case could be made for at least one peak direct to Portlaoise.

Do we ever do express trains in this country or did we?

I mean like stop A to stop E non stop? I know you can't do it with everything as there are stops with people in between but is there a case for some Belfast and Cork services to be non stop to compete with the bus?
    Enterprise is the closest we have to an express line and that has four stops before Belfast (though it kinda has to stop in Newry given NIR, according to their timetable, don't seem to go south of Portadown very often).

There is a rather odd DART, not sure if it's still around, but it used to go all stations to I think Dun Laoghaire, then non stop to Bray, I think the same one now uses platform 3 in Dun Laoghaire and just stops there then turns into a Howth bound one a few minutes later.

Maybe it's all about timing? Direct express trains would run into trains further up the track , not enough space for a straight run?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

There's the 0615 from Cork to Dublin with no intermediate stops every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭thomasj

08:04 Connolly Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I mean like stop A to stop E non stop? I know you can't do it with everything as there are stops with people in between but is there a case for some Belfast and Cork services to be non stop to compete with the bus?
    Enterprise is the closest we have to an express line and that has four stops before Belfast (though it kinda has to stop in Newry given NIR, according to their timetable, don't seen to go south of Portadown very often).

There is a rather odd DART, not sure if it's still around, but it used to go all stations to I think Dun Laoghaire, then non stop to Bray, I think the same one now uses platform 3 in Dun Laoghaire and just stops there then turns into a Howth bound one a few minutes later.

Maybe it's all about timing? Direct express trains would run into trains further up the track , not enough space for a straight run?

On Dublin-Cork, there are peak trains that operate with limited stops. There is one non-stop service from Cork, and some stopping at Limerick Junction and Mallow only.

The standard stopping pattern is Portlaoise, Thurles, Limerick Junction and Mallow every two hours, with the other services stopping at Ballybrophy, Templemore and Charleville as demand dictates.

Bear in mind that end to end traffic won't fill a full train which is much bigger than a bus, and that the extra stops will generate additional demand and facilitate people travelling between stations along the line.

Dublin-Galway has a morning train from Galway serving Athenry, Athlone and Tullamore only.

The focus now is on rebuilding the infrastructure below the track on the Dublin-Cork route which should see the standard stopping pattern services taking 2 hours 20 minutes, and the fastest trains taking 2 hours when the work is eventually completed.

thomasj wrote: »
    08:04 Connolly Maynooth
    That is purely to get the train back to Maynooth in sufficient time to operate the 08:40 return service.

lxflyer wrote:
    That is purely to get the train back to Maynooth in sufficient time to operate the 08:40 return service.

Oh yeah I know, and it makes sense but I was just pointing out that it was an express service!

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    The focus now is on rebuilding the infrastructure below the track on the Dublin-Cork route which should see the standard stopping pattern services taking 2 hours 20 minutes, and the fastest trains taking 2 hours when the work is eventually completed.

I hope you are right, but look at earlier promises.

In 1996-97, we were promised Dublin - Belfast in 95 minutes, we did not get less than 115 minutes.

In 1968 approx, a lazy journalist told us that with the introduction of CWR, Dublin - Cork would be done in 110 minutes. This was an average of 90 mph. The journalist confused average spped with proposed maximum speed. In spite of some stretches of 100 mph, Dublin - Cork still has nothing like what a journalist predicted, but also not quite what IR have suggested.

Nevertheless I look forward to enhanced timings in the hopefully near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

StrawDub wrote: »

love the way he's taking credit for something that was already planned

I find that very difficult to believe - as far as I'm aware the next timetable change isn't happening until the end of the year and even then, I don't know where all the drivers are going to come from to do that.

There aren't enough drivers to operate an all day service and the unions currently have a ban on mentoring new drivers so I can't see extra trains happening any time soon.

Sounds like he's got the wrong end of the stick.

This was the quote here

https://twitter.com/lawlessj/status/875033322711384064

Very bizarre and seems to contradict what Irish rail were saying in that chain of tweets.

thomasj wrote: »

As I said I think he's wrong - there are no drivers available to operate them and training of new ones is in abeyance.

As I said I think he's wrong - there are no drivers available to operate them and training of new ones is in abeyance.
    Perhaps he's hoping they'll be driverless!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Why are the unions blocking the training of new drivers?

Is the maintenance of the track done by an external company? Maybe training could be too, with training trains running outside of scheduled services?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

n97 mini wrote: »
    Why are the unions blocking the training of new drivers?

Is the maintenance of the track done by an external company? Maybe training could be too, with training trains running outside of scheduled services?

Issue is over DART drivers

Unions wont wear any of that , end of story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

BoatMad wrote: »
    Issue is over DART drivers

Unions wont wear any of that , end of story

I did notice the recent deal done with the unions by Paschal Donohue includes limiting outsourcing. Seems counter intuitive, and undemocratic. Do private sector workers not deserve to be given opportunities to work and earn a wage too.

Advertisement