Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Post Links Still. Why?

Options
  • 09-03-2015 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Wondering if someone could answer this for me. My post count is well above 50 and my I have been a member for over over 10 days but I'm still not able to post links. What's going on?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

What do you mean, exactly?
    Do you mean any link or do you mean a clickable link like http://www.bing.com/?cc=ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Some forums don't allow images embedded, is it just images or all links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Netwerk_Errer

I can't post any links or images anywhere on the boards. I'm still getting the spam message for new users. I can't quote any posts with a link included.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

You are only a member for 10 days today (since 27th Feb) so tomorrow you should be able to do all of the above.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What's the definition of day being used here then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Registered at 18:46, so could be able to do it after that time today, unless Niamh means tomorrow due to an overnight job that happens tonight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's kinda what I'm wondering. Is the day defined to the minute? Or does it only cut in at midnight or some other threshold?

Checking that out with Andres here but I might not have the answer until tomorrow. It'll be good to know for future reference anyway.

Just as I posted, he got back to me :D

It is by calendar days not hours/minutes so Netwerk_Errer, you will be able to post images and URLs after midnight tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Netwerk_Errer

Just as I posted, he got back to me :D

It is by calendar days not hours/minutes so Netwerk_Errer, you will be able to post images and URLs after midnight tonight.

Thanks! It must go by hours/minutes though. The spam message in the text box had disappeared by 9 o clock tonight and I was able to quote posts with links then.

• Advertisement

Hmmm interesting. Thanks for letting me know, I'll pass the feedback on :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

And then they close their account :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

I joined in 2012...and I'm still considered a new user ?
    trying to post a link to some music I made in the music forum, but das ist verbotten ...no links or images allowed.

any ideas ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

SameHorse wrote: »
    any ideas ?
    Contribute to discussion on Boards for another 39 posts before using this forum for self-promotion?

Dades wrote: »
    Contribute to discussion on Boards for another 39 posts before using this forum for self-promotion?

before i 'use' the forum for 'self-promotion' ?

nice attitude you've got there.

I was just trying to post a track in a massive thread with the subject " Post your Tracks ... " in the music-subforum. that would seem like normal participation to me, not usery.

you'd swear I was trying to spam flyers to drum n bass gigs in the maternity sub-forum.

Okay, excuse the attitude I'm just baffled at why so many people ask "how am I supposed to reach 50 posts before I do X".

Boards.ie is a discussion forum. It's not hard to join a few more conversations about things that interest you. Contribute to other people's threads and before you know it you'll be able to use the platform provided whatever way you want. It's good to talk!

Okay, excuse the attitude I'm just baffled at why so many people ask "how am I supposed to reach 50 posts before I do X".

Boards.ie is a discussion forum. It's not hard to join a few more conversations about things that interest you. Contribute to other people's threads and before you know it you'll be able to use the platform provided whatever way you want. It's good to talk!

that's fine. I just wanted to know what the limitation was. I'll keep posting to hit the 50 mark. Though as far as certain sub-forums go, in my case the music sub-forum, I think they suffer from the fact boards.ie covers such broad themes and as a consequence applies certain rules unilateraly. The Modus Operandi of a music forum, subforum or otherwise, is pretty limited if new (with ranging definitions of 'new') users can't contribute music to a thread created specifically for that purpose. It simply doesn't fall under the umbrella term of spam, but yet it is treated as such. Mods at least should have the power of discretion (maybe they do). or sub-forums should be able to limit restrictions to 10 posts instead of 50, or 3 days instead of 10 (maybe they can).

anyway,
    #justsayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

But you assume that we allow you to post your tracks etc as a "service" to everyone, it's not. It's a chance for us to allow people who are a part of our site and members of some of its communities to get some ears on their work as a thank you for being a contributing member of our site. If you less than 50 posts in over 2 years, then you are most assuredly not a contributing member of our site.

Dav wrote: »
    But you assume that we allow you to post your tracks etc as a "service" to everyone, it's not. It's a chance for us to allow people who are a part of our site and members of some of its communities to get some ears on their work as a thank you for being a contributing member of our site. If you less than 50 posts in over 2 years, then you are most assuredly not a contributing member of our site.

do you say this as a musician ? and/or a member of other music production sites/groups/forums ?

because your view on this seems detached from reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I say it as this site's Community Manager.

I happen to be a musician too if that makes any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Dav wrote: »
    If you less than 50 posts in over 2 years, then you are most assuredly not a contributing member of our site.

Are you serious? That's some statement.

You see, I would argue that users such as the following handful example of infrequent visitors to the site, most certainly are contributing members of Boards.ie, whether you choose to them as such or not.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=537706
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=251571
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=309414
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=293400
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=179773
    quote wrote:
    I say it as this site's Community Manager.

Which makes it all the more incredulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Yeah. They are members who use the site alright, but hardly contributing members?

1 post every few weeks/months is hardly contributing to the community of the site?

You see, I would argue that users such as the following handful example of infrequent visitors to the site, most certainly are contributing members of Boards.ie, whether you choose to them as such or not.
    Sporadic posters are as welcome as frequent posters. But while contribution could never be assessed solely on post count, in general the more you post, the more you contribute to the site and its knowledge base.

There's no onus on anyone to post but certain things you can't do (pics/links/music stc) until you've shown a willingness to be a contributor (and that you're not just shiller/spammer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

..in general the more you post, the more you contribute to the site and its knowledge base/

Obviously the more a user posts the more they are contributing. Nobody is disputing that.

What I take issue with is the community manager of this site saying that anyone that has been a member here for two years or more and hasn't posted at least 50 times, is most assuredly not a contributing member. That's patently nonsense as there are lots of users who have been here years, lurk more than they post, and quite evidently have contributed to the forum.
    There's no onus on anyone to post but certain things you can't do (pics/links/music stc) until you've shown a willingness to be a contributor (and that you're not just shiller/spammer).
    Yes, and some feel the qualifying number of those posts is set too high, hence the thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I reckon if people just kept their accounts instead of reregging all the time then they wouldn't have to keep meeting the criteria...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I wonder do the boards sales people use the numbers of the zombie accounts to boost the figures for members, or do they keep track who is active and sell the viewership figures that way?

gimmick wrote: »
    I wonder do the boards sales people use the numbers of the zombie accounts to boost the figures for members, or do they keep track who is active and sell the viewership figures that way?

They've always stated both the total number and the amount active within a two week period in any promo stuff.

Advertisement