Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to quit

Options
  • 09-03-2015 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been working with my current employer for the past 2 years now, and for the past few months I've been at my wits end with my job.

When I began here I enjoyed working in the place because I'm interested in the work and I have certain freedoms I wouldn't find elsewhere. But over time the problems I've been having here have gotten bigger and bigger, with today being the last draw.

My pay is awful. I earn almost 5 grand less than others who do the same job elsewhere for less hours. When I try bring up the issue of my wages, pointing out that there are people in call centres that earn more than I do by quite a lot (I'm work with marketing and business development) I'm made to feel guilty and told I can work elsewhere if I don't like it.

My boss does not acknowledge any work I do. I recently worked out a deal with a new partner that was the largest direct sale in the history of the company, and not once did I hear "thank you", instead I was given out to because now my boss would need to generate an invoice for them. I regularly identify areas that we need to work on or develop, and I will be told to solve it, yet if I ask for anything, even a contact number for someone, I won't get it. I'll also get the head eaten off me for looking to spend money.

I work 6 days a week, and my free time just doesn't exist. Yet I bring this up that I need more than 1 day off, I'm told the only reason I can't get 5 days a week is because he doesn't trust other people to handle things if something goes wrong, so having me here gives him comfort that things will be sorted.

I hate coming into work now. I have applied for jobs yet nothing is coming up, and it's rare when I get an interview. Today was the tipping point as my boss came in for 10 minutes today, walked over to me and asked if I could do a quick job, left, came back in and told me "You smell rank" then left for the day. I'm mentally done and want to quit so badly. My only issue then is money. Money is tight and I can't imagine we'd be able to live (my wife and I) off a single salary. Plus I hate the idea of having to explain to potential employers why I have a gap in my CV.

I'm at my wits end, is there light at the end of the tunnel? Should I just quit or do I stick it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

It sounds like it's time for a new job. Have you brushed up your CV ? Do you have a LinkedIn profile? If you are not getting interviews then improve your CV, get some advice, read some job hunting books. Martin John Yates's book on Answers to tough interview questions is excellent not only for interviews but for job hunting in general. Analyse what you want to do and keep improving how to go about it. It is not unusual to do 50 applications at least before you find something that suits both you and your new employer.

It is very true that it is easier to find a job while employed. There is no point in staying where you are and hoping it will improve, but there is every reason to start applying for other jobs today.

And stop working 6 days a week. Your priority is to find another job, and you need to put some time into that. So do the hours you are paid for and use the rest of your time looking for something better.

I think that if you get your head out of your current job and into looking for the next one it won't be so upsetting to go in every day because you have more control of your life. But if it still affects our mental health, then it's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Why are you working extra time for free. The first thing to do is to work the hours you are contracted for only. Do you earn commission on sales that you are involved in? If not, why not. If I was involved in closing the largest direct sale in the history of the company I would expect a lot more than just a thank you.

In the background you should make a concerted effort to look for work elsewhere, I would never hand in notice without having another position lined up if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

Definitely leave. If you let them take advantage of you like that, they won't think twice about doing it to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Definitely leave. If you let them take advantage of you like that, they won't think twice about doing it to someone else.

+1

You come across as proactive employee looking to do a good job.
    You are simply doing it for the wrong people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

First off, stop working 6 days a week. They have no right to expect that from you. Then I would suggest working on your CV and using the energy and drive you have to find a job that will reward you. I wouldn't hand my notice in until I had found something, but you might prefer to do so? That really is up to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement