Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bars Open on Holy Thursday

Options
  • 09-03-2015 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is any bars or nightclubs that will stay open past midnight the night before Good Friday in Dublin?

If anyone knows of anywhere could they let me know as trying to organise a work night out on that night.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Dublin City.

tHB

AFAIK - It is illegal to sell alcohol to the general public on Good Friday (ie, after midnight on Holy Thursday. Exceptions being those places with a special exemption - air-side lounges in airports, train stations when in possession of a valid ticket, places of residence (ie, hotels when registered as a guest), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kat20

Many thanks for replying so quickly.

Thanks for verifying it for me will have to organise another night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Certain pubs will stay open. The type that might not necessarily close when they're supposed to but you'd probably have to be a regular to get a late drink.

You won't get any nightclubs open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

howiya wrote: »
    You won't get any nightclubs open.

I don't get why these don't open midnight on Friday.

Nightclubs are effectively shut down for two nights business due to this religious law rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

nm wrote: »

Nightclubs are effectively shut down for two nights business due to this religious law rubbish.

I've heard of nightclubs that open in Donegal at midnight on Christmas Day/St Stephens Day so I guess it must be legal to do so on Good Friday/Easter Saturday.

I don't agree with the law but I'm sure if nightclub owners thought it was worth their while they would open at midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Been a tradition of mine and some friends to stock up on beers and/or wine and book a table in a BYOB restaurant on Good Friday. Theres a good few of them around Dublin at this stage. Its illegal to sell alcohol on Good Friday but its not illegal to drink it in a BYOB restaurant so for us its like any other Friday really

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Club 92 used to but I don't know if they do still.

It is EXTREMELY common outside Dublin - heard a club in Sligo a few years ago advertising that the cloakroom was open from 11:30 and the bar at the dot of midnight. Considering that a lot of rural clubs only opened 12-2 in the old days and some still do its no different to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

It a few years since I've been in nightclubs, but back then it made little difference.

Thursday and they'd serve alcohol til midnight and you'd just stock the table up. Friday and they'd start serving at midnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Belt

I was in Ryan's on Camden Street until about 3.30 am last Holy Thursday so get in there early and you'll be able to have a late one

Advertisement