Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading a fixie???

• 09-03-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I bought a fixie bike in the summer of last year and am looking for some advice.

When I bought the bike the brakes were on the usual place on the front of the handle bars. I'm looking to get them attached to the curved part like a racer.

I'm also looking to get the attachment put on so I don't have to constantly pedal haha, maybe get gears put onto it too.

Can this be done and if so how much should I expect to pay.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You can get a freewheel instead of a fixed sprocket and then you won't have to pedal all the time. That's cheap enough, maybe 15 euro.

You can get road style brake levers that work with linear pull (v brakes) - http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BLTEKRL520/tektro-rl520-drop-bar-brake-levers

I am assumimg you have v-brakes as you have flat-bar brake levers currently. You might want to stick up a photo in case I'm wrong.

Adding gears could be possible depending on the spacing of your rear wheel drop-outs. I think you can get alfine internal gear hubs for 130mm road spacing, but not for 120mm track spacing.

Either way, adding gears is likely absolute madness as a value proposition compared to buying a second hand bike with gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

If you really want "single speed" gears, have a look at the sram automatix hub. I have one on my commuter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It will probably make more sense to sell it and buy another bike with the set-up you desire.

Advertisement