Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Poisoning at Cruft.

• 09-03-2015 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

It's awful to see that someone is willing to poison dogs. I know it happens a lot, but you don't expect it at a dog show. One thing that I found surprising about this story was a dog behaviourist on Sky news this morning seeming to say that the poisoning was more likely to have been carried out by groups who are opposed to Crufts, rather than by another competitor. The 2 groups she named were the RSPCA and PETA.

Now, I'm no fan of PETA and I wouldn't want to suggest that they would poison an animal but I found it shocking that someone would make that kind of allegation against the RSPCA. It seems 2 other dogs are showing signs of illness now as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Pumpkin, I was horrified to hear the news about poor Jagger......

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/09/crufts-dog-jagger-meat-slug-poison

Poor mite.....How disgusting that could happen especially at Crufts - a celebration of dogs?..... :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

How could organisations that are all for treating animals with respect do such a thing to a defenceless dog? I hope that's just a theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I really don't know about the RSPCA but I've heard before that certain PETA members would think along the lines of better dead than than captive, and in some cases that would include pets/show animals. They also have very high kill rate shelters, there does seem to be a lot more behind them than happy puppy cuddling images that would spring to mind with an animal welfare group.
    I'm really unsure about this, it's a truly awful awful thing to happen and such a massive celebration for dogs, but it seems a little too "targeted" for an organisation, you'd think if it was something like that it would have been a lot more widespread.
    What I don't fully understand though is, if they think the poisoned meat was fed on Thursday morning, how could they identify both the meat and three different poisons in the stomach? You'd think it would have been digested at that stage. I know they did an autopsy but it would take a bit longer for a full report to come out. Maybe I just haven't read about it from good sources, but that just seems a bit off to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I wondered about the timing of the poisoning as well SM. I would have thought that the poisoning could have happened anywhere from Crufts to the dogs own garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I really don't know about the RSPCA but I've heard before that certain PETA members would think along the lines of better dead than than captive, and in some cases that would include pets/show animals. They also have very high kill rate shelters, there does seem to be a lot more behind them than happy puppy cuddling images that would spring to mind with an animal welfare group.

There's a FB page called something like 'PETA kill animals', you're right they do have very high kill rate shelters and seem to have this notion that no animal should be a pet, they all should be 'free' whatever that means, I was shocked when I started to read up on them, especially about their high kill shelters, they seem to think dogs/cats are better off dead than being 'captive' as pets, I wouldn't be hugely surprised if it turned out they had something to do with this, however I would be surprised if the RSPCA were involved, for all their faults (which are many) they're not in the same league as PETA when it comes to their views on domestic animals. That's merely my opinion of course..!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

PETA are on 98fm atm condemning Cheltenham! Hope somebody calls in and raises their kill rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    There's a FB page called something like 'PETA kill animals', you're right they do have very high kill rate shelters and seem to have this notion that no animal should be a pet, they all should be 'free' whatever that means, I was shocked when I started to read up on them, especially about their high kill shelters, they seem to think dogs/cats are better off dead than being 'captive' as pets, I wouldn't be hugely surprised if it turned out they had something to do with this, however I would be surprised if the RSPCA were involved, for all their faults (which are many) they're not in the same league as PETA when it comes to their views on domestic animals. That's merely my opinion of course..!! :rolleyes:

PETA don't actually think pets should be free or better off dead. They believe, that because of the way domestic pets can be mistreated, ie puppy farms, abused, chained up, isolated etc ., it would have been better if domestication never happened, and pets were never made reliant on humans. They've no problem with pets in good homes though.

maggiepip wrote: »
    PETA don't actually think pets should be free or better off dead. They believe, that because of the way domestic pets can be mistreated, ie puppy farms, abused, chained up, isolated etc ., it would have been better if domestication never happened, and pets were never made reliant on humans. They've no problem with pets in good homes though.

PETA have the highest kill rate in America. I just assumed that they would be a no kill shelter. I think most people take them at their word as wanting Ethical Treatment for Animals, what they do on the other hand is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

PETA have the highest kill rate in America. I just assumed that they would be a no kill shelter. I think most people take them at their word as wanting Ethical Treatment for Animals, what they do on the other hand is shameful.

I did not know that.

:(

Makes me very sad.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I couldn't believe how many dogs were left unattended for hours on their benches. Riley wasn't on his own at all, but some of the dogs around us had nobody with them for most of the day.

• Advertisement

It's such an awful thing to have happened. The thing is that everyone that I saw discussing it on Sky News said that no other competitor would poison someone's dog, but I don't accept that. I think that human nature being what it is there will always be people willing to do that sort of thing, and of course it's the dogs who suffer. I don't know how anyone could leave their pets alone in a strange environment. I've never been to Crufts but I'd imagine the noise and strangeness of it could be very stressful and confusing for some dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

It's such an awful thing to have happened. The thing is that everyone that I saw discussing it on Sky News said that no other competitor would poison someone's dog, but I don't accept that. I think that human nature being what it is there will always be people willing to do that sort of thing, and of course it's the dogs who suffer. I don't know how anyone could leave their pets alone in a strange environment. I've never been to Crufts but I'd imagine the noise and strangeness of it could be very stressful and confusing for some dogs.

In the 20 years of Showing that I have done in Ireland & abroad I have never known any competitor to harm someone elses dog.

Dogs that are at Crufts have to qualify. This involves going to other shows & very often training classes. The dogs are well used to all the noise etc. When my own dogs see the show bag coming out they are all very excited.

Knine wrote: »
    In the 20 years of Showing that I have done in Ireland & abroad I have never known any competitor to harm someone elses dog.

Dogs that are at Crufts have to qualify. This involves going to other shows & very often training classes. The dogs are well used to all the noise etc. When my own dogs see the show bag coming out they are all very excited.

I take your point, although I don't believe that it's as much of a stretch to suspect that a fellow competitor would sink so low as to poison a dog, at least not as much of a stretch as suggesting the RSPCA poisoned a show dog. As I said, I know nothing about dog shows and we could speculate all day long about who poisoned the poor dog. Perhaps there are things going on behind the scenes with the RSPCA that I'm unaware of but it seems like a hell of an accusation to make.

It was PETA that was suspected. The dog in question was not what I would consider a big winner either. There were other dogs there that would have been more successful. The latest news is that the dog was poisoned after Crufts according to his vet as the food in his stomach was not digested.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From my outside understanding of the mainstream members of both orgs that while they may have issues with the show concept to target a dog would be beyond the pale to make a point. Give the nastiness of individuals who simply do not care about their actions a lone actor with malicious intent more likely.

Advertisement