Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathvilly commute?

Options
  • 09-03-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently looking at houses in Rathvilly and i am wondering what the commute would be like from here to Citywest on the N81 or even the motorway if that is the better option? I can start work pretty early 7.30 am start so can leave earlier to avoid peak traffic.

Also, i'm aware that Rathvilly is a small village but would appreciate any feedback on the area? It seems like a nice village:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

The drive would be handy enough at that time but do you really want to lose ten hours a week to a commute? I know people who thought that it would be fine having a long commute but after a few months, when the bad weather was about, they changed their minds but it was too late. (Just an aside!)

As for Rathvilly, lovely little village. Not miles away from civilisation and friendly town as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jaffa20

brianblaze wrote: »
    The drive would be handy enough at that time but do you really want to lose ten hours a week to a commute? I know people who thought that it would be fine having a long commute but after a few months, when the bad weather was about, they changed their minds but it was too late. (Just an aside!)

As for Rathvilly, lovely little village. Not miles away from civilisation and friendly town as far as I know.

Thanks very much for the reply.I understand commute could be close to 1 hour each way but i'm used to 45-50 mins at the moment so don't think it would be big issues, especially if it's a nice area :)

My main concern would be the n81. It's not a motorway but i suppose you have the choice of going to the m9/m7 as an alternative route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

N81 is a grand road, I take the motorbike up around that way quite a bit. Road surface aint great between Rathvilly and Baltinglass but in a car that won't bother you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Lived in rathvilly and did that commute for 3 years. It can be taxing but it's not a bad road. The biggest problem is the lack of places to overtake on the n81 and the terrible hold ups from brittas to Tallaght in the snow and ice. Rathvilly itself is a lovely village and there is a good sense of community. I'm back in carlow town now but I did enjoy living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

A fella I know living in Baltinglass said Rathvilly to Citywest is a fairly comfortable commute, and roughly 55 minutes. He said its a nice (but very quiet) village.

One thing he couldn't explain to me is why so many houses have gone up for sale in the same estate recently (some sold, some still unsold).

Just struck me as odd. Is there anything major getting built/going on there does anyone know? Not sure if I'm allowed name the estate by name on here or not but a quick look at myhome or daft would point towards the one I mean.

We're considering a similar move/commute ourselves and it's just one possible location we were keeping in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

A fella I know living in Baltinglass said Rathvilly to Citywest is a fairly comfortable commute, and roughly 55 minutes. He said its a nice (but very quiet) village.

One thing he couldn't explain to me is why so many houses have gone up for sale in the same estate recently (some sold, some still unsold).

Just struck me as odd. Is there anything major getting built/going on there does anyone know? Not sure if I'm allowed name the estate by name on here or not but a quick look at myhome or daft would point towards the one I mean.

We're considering a similar move/commute ourselves and it's just one possible location we were keeping in mind.

I know the estate. It seems to be a lot of Dublin people living there. I imagine that they are selling to try move back to dublin before the dublin prices go too high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I know the estate. It seems to be a lot of Dublin people living there. I imagine that they are selling to try move back to dublin before the dublin prices go too high

Ah fair enough. That would make sense alright.

Advertisement