Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escape from ireland swim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I was thinking of signing up for it this year. Will be interested to see what people say. Couple of guys from the club were talking about it last Tuesday having done it. Sounds like an interesting event.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Yeah I did it last year. Really enjoyed it. Tide was heading in so the tidal rush was heading to portmarnock. Heard the year before was very rough, tide heading out and a load of people had to be stopped cause they were headin for Dublin bay. Plan on doing it again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Was looking at it too. Read the posts form a few years back. Sounded a tough swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

I did it in 2010. Really nice event with getting a boat out to the island a nice touch. Only criticism was the early start!!! The year I did it the current was running north to south so if you weren't careful you were sent miles off course. The following year I think was much tougher with people pulled from the water. I'd do it again this year but it clashes with WOTS. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Last year was very easy, tide was pushing everyone in towards the beach. 2013 was tough conditions with an ebbing tide which resulted in a few rescues.

This event is part of the Howth Challenge Series and a bit of craic, having said that Conor Turner and Kevin Thornton showed up to make it quite competitive. Interested finished well last year, might even fancy it this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Did it last year. Like everyone has said, it was fairly handy. Weather was great...Current was pushing away from finish towards portmarnock and thankfully saw no seals. Was really relaxed and great craic. ..will be doing it again this year hopefully.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

2 weeks after Ironman...hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

A good pre ironman swim ?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Steroo you are doing Dublin 70.3 I think? If so then yes this would be perfect for that because it is likely to be harder than the Dub Laoghaire swim, at least psychologically given that you are not swimming close to shore.

I have attempted this 5 times since the Howth Tri in 2011 and made it across 4 times (I also did a sucessful practice crossing before the tri). Missed it last year as it clashed with Kilkee. In 2012 the wind was a force 4 at the scheduled start time and they delayed the start for an hour. The wind didnt drop too much and the tidal current picked up. About 30 swimmers, me included, were swept east across the mouth of the harbour, we were all picked up without any problems. They marked the route (which is a boomerang out towards Baldoyle/Portmarnock and back to the beach) for the Tri and the next years Oly aquathon (they had to cancel the bike leg) but not mark it for the pure swim. I think after 2012 they learnt the lesson and the swim had buoys in 2013, not sure about last year? My times range from 70mins(Howth tri) to 48mins (2013)

2013 was a gorgeous morning, no wind, sun shining and the swim was a delight. The year we did the practice swim there was only about 10 of us and the local seals thought they would join in which freaked me out (seeing a very large grey one on its back looking up at me while I was in the middle of the swim is a memory I will never shake). I think the seals get put off though when there are 90 of us in the water plus kayaks and boats.

The organiser is a member of Howth Yacht Club and so has plenty of local knowledge of the tides in Howth Sound. If the race starts on time then you can be pretty sure the currents will be slack, but if it gets delayed......There is an article on tides in Howth Sound on the hyc.ie website - go to the 'Race Area' tab though in 2012. After being pulled out and before that Aquathon I wrote to the organiser as I thought what they were saying was contradicted by that site but she explained it and the swim went the she said it would.

Some years there has been a Leinster OW swim race from the island but it stays east of the harbour and lands at Balscadden. The yachties local OW swimmers I know all think the Escape from the Island swim is mad because of the currents but I have always found it well run and with plenty of safety boats.

Anyway you only have to worry about tides, wind, seals and the odd jellyfish so go for it - you will be mentally ready for OW fter it!

Thanks for all that info Doeshedare... I'm far from ready now but 4 months might be doable & if I survive I'll feel confident about Dublin 70.3 as you say.

So am I right to read that if it does not go my way and I freak out half way that there should be a boat around to save me!!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I did this in 2012, it was enjoyable but conditions were tough. I spent 20mins at one stage swimming hard and not moving more than 10 metres.. once I got out of that swell it was okay back in to the beach.

My wife said she would never let me do it again after that year, if I still swam I would love to go back and do it again. It is a fun event.

Steroo wrote: »
    Thanks for all that info Doeshedare... I'm far from ready now but 4 months might be doable & if I survive I'll feel confident about Dublin 70.3 as you say.

So am I right to read that if it does not go my way and I freak out half way that there should be a boat around to save me!!!?

Sure, there should be a kayak or a boat near you, but even if not your suit will keep you bobbing along until Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Is there anyone on this thread that can actually swim?

tunney wrote: »

Now that you're here I would say yes.

ha ha ha.... you love learners

Steroo wrote: »
    ha ha ha.... you love learners

I do love learners. Hate to see them drown. Probably why they should learn to swim before entering tidal swim races.

I do love learners. Hate to see them drown. Probably why they should learn to swim before entering tidal swim races.

I actually would agree with Tunney on this, this can be a tough swim so you'd want to be certain of your abilities before taking it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

griffin100 wrote: »
    I actually would agree with Tunney on this, this can be a tough swim so you'd want to be certain of your abilities before taking it on.

Same here. It isn't a race for a beginner, I am not a good swimmer but back in 2012 I could swim(like a brick) for 90mins in the pool without issue.

I know I know.... that's why I'm seeking this feedback from those who've done it. No harm weighing up the options. But I'll put it in my diary anyway & decide closer to the event whether to do it or not.

It is a tough swim particularly if it is windy (ie choppy water). I was definitely a learner when I did it first (my first 'season'of swim training) I would strongly recommend doing the 2 available Howth Aquathons before hand (the Long option, 1k swim) and the Bull Wall ones too. You wouldnt want it to be your first taste of OW (it was my third ever race, 1 aquathon, Skerries Oly then Howth Oly+)

Everyone who has stood on that beach on Ireland's Eye on the morning of the race has done so for the 1st time at some stage and judging by the bad jokes and nervous laughter most of the people are scared every time they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Is there anyone on this thread that can actually swim?[/QUOTE

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

I did it a few years ago. They held the start a hour or so because of the wind this had a knock on affect and the tide had changed. 1/2 the people were pulled out
    of the water by the rescue boats and I can say it was a vert tough swim and i have a few Sub 5 1/4 70.3 Iron man's under my belt.

It would be great if you could pay on the day as conditions were bad that year and I think alot of people were not able for it.

It was a tought swim and very well ran event hopefully the weather is better this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Bit the bullet this morning and signed up. Been debating a long open water swim the last couple of years, wet the feet with this one. One day I'd love to be able to do the Galway Bay swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Haven't registered yet, but planning to do this and the Howth Aquathons this year for the first time - I can see Ireland's Eye from my house so would be a bit rude not too - also there's something appealing about swimming to Ireland for race

Will they not be handing out noodles at the start??

paddyh117 wrote: »
    Will they not be handing out noodles at the start??

Yeah, one organiser did similar once for one of their races with a neutralised bike. A tad touched so a few people drowned when they were given these

koka-noodles.jpg

Should have left them in the packet - probably float fine!!

Btw Steroo - if you're eyeing up the Escape swim you might also be interested in the Great Dublin Swim on July 18th. 2nd year for this event, last year won by Conor Turner but a huge range of abilities on the day and 4 waves from beginner to elite. Well worth a look IMO. River vs open sea but a good chance to race a fast flowing tidal current in relative safety and with a lot of fairly experienced open water swimmers.

https://www.facebook.com/greatdublinswim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Is Swim Ireland membership a prerequisite for the Great Dublin? I take it it's not required for the Escape.

I'd also recommend the Glendalough Openwaterswimmer Events. 750, 1500 and 3.9k in a spectacular location.

• Advertisement

You pay a small fee at registration to cover it if you're not a SI member. Bit like a one-day licence in Tri I guess.

Advertisement