Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escape from ireland swim

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I cant see a date when the great dublin swim in on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Steroo wrote: »
    Anyone done this and how bad were the currents?

http://www.howthaquathon.com/escape-from-ireland-swim/index.php

"Openwater Swim for Experienced Swimmers Only

Swim Route subject to Strong Tidal Currents!"

Given your beginner swim ability, its reckless that you're even considering this. There is a massive difference between being far offshore in chop, and swimming a few lengths in a pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Has the OP ever swam in open water or will this be their first foray into the cold, blackness?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events/race/j.f.dunne-insurances-great-dublin-swim-2015
    found this with date times prices etc, seems like a great event for all levels, thanks for the heads up mojomaker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    "Openwater Swim for Experienced Swimmers Only

Swim Route subject to Strong Tidal Currents!"

Given your beginner swim ability, its reckless that you're even considering this. There is a massive difference between being far offshore in chop, and swimming a few lengths in a pool.

I wasn't aware of the OPs lack of OW experience, I would definitely say its not for some one of that level. I have signed up but have years of experience in OW swimming and am still a little weary of this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'd say I could win it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭standardtoaster

Just signed up to this earlier today before I read this thread! Some scary aul comments.

If the weather is good and the conditions are more 2014 than 2012/2013, how much more difficult is this compared to OW swimming in a lake?

Bit of background, can comfortably swim 2.5km - 3km in a lake in 55 - 70 minutes.

I'm thinking I should be ok, anyone got a view on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

J

Bit of background, can comfortably swim 2.5km - 3km in a lake in 55 - 70 minutes.

I'm thinking I should be ok, anyone got a view on this?

Sounds like you would be physically capable alright. In the best conditions (2013 I think) it was a lovely swim and they laid out the course with buoys to counter act the current and so not much different to a lake swim (except for the sea life:eek:). However those sort of benign conditions dont happen very often and so you'll need to be comfortable in waves/chop. It also feels very exposed half way into it as there is no quick exits!

Do you have much sea swimming experience because I reckon it could be more of a mental challenge for you than physical?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭standardtoaster

Funny you should say that, did a sea swim for the first time about 6 weeks ago down in Bournemouth , weather conditions were great, took a bit of getting used to, but would have been fine, if it weren't for the unexpected surprise of 6/7 barrel jellyfish in the space of 800 metres. They freaked the bejayzus out of me.

Anyway cue far, far too much leg kicking, breast stroke made an appearance, followed by the on set of cramp simultaneously in both calfs and a DNF.

As I say can do lake swims comfortably, yeah mentally then I guess its just been able to push on through in spite of not always being able to get a consistent stroke going.

Advertisement