Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teeeeeeeeething!

Options
  • 09-03-2015 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

had our daughter's 3 month check up with the phn last week and she confirmed what we kinda thought, she's teething! in fact we had to give her nurofen for a few days as one of her gums was inflamed, we had no idea and apparently her dribbling (as opposed to foaming) was a sign of this. so we've bought calpol, nurofen, teetha, calgel, sophie the giraffe, whatever helps!
    i suppose we just don't know when to give her what, are the calpol and nurofen for when she's in a lot of pain (ie not to give it too readily??) and just try the gel and powder or teethers first?? any other tips or tricks that people found worked??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Oh god my one has being dribbling since 5/6 months going through multiple bibs a day so definitely don't go by that as when to give neurofen/calpol. I do if she's very irritable: but you will get to know soon enough. If you know anyone in the uk Calgel is amazing it's available over the counter and is just a gel for their gums but much better than anything we can get here.

Don't forget they can be teething for months before a tooth shows too!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Our 20 week old has been teething the last few weeks, chews on everything he can get into his mouth. Stocked up on Calgel but not finding it great, it doesn't really spread on the gum? Think the bongela is better for him. Only give him neurofen/calpol if he's in a lot of pain, tend to give neurofen first as it's the anti-inflammatory, and he'll actually take it over calpol. Have Sophie and various other teething rings but he's not much interested in them! We've noticed he holds his dodi and chews the teat as opposed to sucking it, if it gives him comfort we'll leave him at it. He loves to chew a muslin cloth too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Spare yourself most of it by chilling out about it. :D Seriously, a bit of distraction is all they need. Teething doesn't need much, even though you just bought the whole shelf in the shop!

The teetha, I'd avoid. Look up homeopathy. basically it's marketing along the lines of miraculous medals... Magic swishing of holy water type effort, and not much else. you'd have to consume about the volume of a swimming pool of it to get a single molecule of the homeopathic ingredient. it's actually made from lactose, xylitol and starch -> ground up sugar pills. Not so good for teeth. I wouldn't be pouring ground sugar into a babies mouth myself. All it does is distract, get out the toys instead of the sugar.

The calpol and neurofen I never bothered with either. Only used for temperature, not teething.

The dribbling is nothing to do with teething, more to do with salivary glands kicking into gear. But sure stick a bib on and change it regularly to prevent a rash from wetness.

I dunno what to tell ya apart from that. Teething will happen when they are 7-9 again, and in their 20's for wisdom teeth. It needs no special treatment whatsoever. Play with your baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

As a teething 29 year old currently dosed to the max on neurofen and calpol teething can hurt sometimes ;)

Op it's like everything as first time parents: you will get to know when your little one is teething badly enough to need something. I hated the teetha sachets too, but they have a gel too I used keep in the fridge and it used be nice and cool on her gums when teething badly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

pwurple wrote: »
    The dribbling is nothing to do with teething, more to do with salivary glands kicking into gear. But sure stick a bib on and change it regularly to prevent a rash from wetness.

:confused: Dribbling has everything to do with teething. It is a known biological reaction, the gums providing extra lubrication to assist with the eruption of teeth as well as cooling down inflammation.

We find the Teetha granules very good, as is Bonjella gel which contains a little bit of local anaesthetic so very soothing when applied directly on gums. I keep it in the fridge so it's extra soothing on bubbas little gums.

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    :confused: Dribbling has everything to do with teething. It is a known biological reaction, the gums providing extra lubrication to assist with the eruption of teeth as well as cooling down inflammation.

Sorry, bit of a myth I'm afraid. Dribbling is salivary glands getting going at about 16 weeks, it stops when the baby starts swallowing the saliva... Can be random amount of time.

My first baby had 8 teeth erupted before the dribbling started. Second baby had started and stopped drooling before any teeth came along. It often happens at the same time for people, but it's just developmental coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

pwurple wrote: »
    Sorry, bit of a myth I'm afraid. Dribbling is salivary glands getting going at about 16 weeks, it stops when the baby starts swallowing the saliva... Can be random amount of time.

My first baby had 8 teeth erupted before the dribbling started. Second baby had started and stopped drooling before any teeth came along. It often happens at the same time for people, but it's just developmental coincidence.

I don't know. My 16 month old is going through the bibs at some rate and is definitely cutting more teeth now. She knows how to swallow saliva (and a host of other things!) do you not think if you had a sore or ulcer or something in your mouth it's make you produce more saliva? Maybe it could be cos they're more inclined to put things in their mouths and not necessarily a direct result of the teeth cutting but there's got to be some correlation there.

kandr10 wrote: »
    I don't know. My 16 month old is going through the bibs at some rate and is definitely cutting more teeth now. She knows how to swallow saliva (and a host of other things!) do you not think if you had a sore or ulcer or something in your mouth it's make you produce more saliva? Maybe it could be cos they're more inclined to put things in their mouths and not necessarily a direct result of the teeth cutting but there's got to be some correlation there.

I guess it's hard to measure saliva produced alright. I had a pesky mouth ulcer a couple of weeks ago though (From baby whacking her head backwards into me I think, lucky she didn't knock out one of my teeth)... Anyway, I didn't drool?

You might be onto something there with everything being shoved in for a chew, so some drool escapes out the gap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Thanks guys, new to this game so learning as we go along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

less is more as regards pain relief. Just keep it to night time if possible.
    Paralink suppositories if the tummy is delicate!

teetha is just sugar, although some nurses use sugar syrup before giving newborns injections.

Amber beads anyone! (leaving the choking hazzard aside).. any good research in yet? Something to do with salicylic acid in amber!

Edit: ok scrap the amber beads (unless you're into reiki energy)
    amber-teething-beads-a-few-points-to-consider/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Sugar syruo under six months apparently works like crack on babies. They don't feel anything hence giving it to them before injections. They mauled my 5 day old trying to get a vein in his wrist and they might as well have been oooing at him for all he cared!

Advertisement