Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Winter Bike

• 09-03-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Looking a new winter frame or bike for next winter. My current one is going to be relegated to a full time turbo bike. Was thinking of buying frame and building it up over the summer, picking up bits and pieces for it as I go. Aluminium and will probably look to pick up a 105 groupset. Though I would love a Colagno and a compag groupset!

What are the best frames to look for then lads? and where are the best deals at the minute?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Budget?
    If your asking whats the best then you're probably looking towards something like this. Cannondale CAAD10 frameset.
    If you want budget then cheap Alu framesets like the Dolan Prefessio or similar offerings from Ribble or PlanetX are all pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

I suppose around 600/700 euro for the frame and then as I said pick up bits and pieces as I go. Like the look of that cannondale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

So many options for you out there now, although in my opinion, its more expensive to do a self build job, as there are great deals out there now on complete bikes. My advice is to research it and choose a brand name and model and look for the best price available. Cube, LaPierre, Cannondale etc are all very reputable brand names, but the choice my friend is up to you.

Any deals on steel/alu/titanium frames knocking about lads? Have been keeping an eye out and not much coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Ribble have some frames going cheap. Their bikebuilder is pretty good too, if you want to let them have the fun of building it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Would self build really be better value than that likes of this if you're looking for a good alu frame and all 105 kit?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-peloton-race-road-bike-2014/rp-prod114145

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-peloton-race-compact-road-bike-2015/rp-prod127978

Features:

Frameset:

Frame: Aluminium Superlite, AMF, Double Butted, RFR-Geometry, Internal Cable Routing
    Forks: CUBE CSL Race Carbon, Tapered
    Groupset:

Chainset: Shimano 105 FC-5800-L, 50x34T,170mm (50/53cm), 172,5mm (56/58/60cm), 175mm (62/64cm) Hollowtech II
    Brake/Shift Levers:Shimano 105 ST-5800, 2x11-Speed
    Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 FD-5800BLL, 34.9mm
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 RD-5800GSL, 11-Speed
    Cassette: Shimano 105 CS-5800, 11-32
    Chain: Shimano CN-HG600-11
    Wheelset:

Wheels: Fulcrum Racing 77
    Tyres: Conti Ultra Sport 2, 25x622
    Components:

Front Brake:Shimano 105 BR-5800
    Rear Brake:Shimano 105 BR-5800
    Handlebars: CUBE Compact Race Bar
    Handlebar Tape: CUBE Grip Control
    Headset: CUBE Z-t ECO, top zero-stack 1 1/8" (OD 44mm), bottom integrated 1 1/2"
    Stem: CUBE Performance, 31.8mm
    Saddle: CUBE RP 1.0
    Seatpost: CUBE Performance Post, 31.6mm
    Seatclamp: RFR Close 34.9mm
    Weight: 8.9 kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Cyclocross bikes make good winter bikes, extra clearance and all that. I'm actually planning on selling mine, haven't gotten round to posting a proper ad with pics yet. A Canyon Inflite (aluminium frame), ultegra groupset, DT swiss wheels, a decent machine. The disc brakes came in handy riding around Blessington lakes yesterday in the lashing rain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

What size is your Canyon inflite? How much are you looking for it? PM Maybe.

OP you could consider a Genesis equilibrium frame .Steel Reynolds 725. Thats what I used to build my winter bike this time last year.

I am just looking the frame set lads. I am upgrading my good bike and putting groupset etc on the winter bike.

SC - yeah I was looking at Genesis last night but don't like the colours to be honest. I know it's only the winter bike but I still want something that I like to look at.

I like the look of this one!
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/de-rosa-milanino-road-frameset-2015ex-demo/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

If you want a Colnago frameset for (just over) your budget it is possible:

Option 1
    Option 2
    Option 3

Then at the prices Ribble is charging, you could put Campag on it:
    Ribble Campag groups

I think the Genesis would be a way better bet as a winter bike, though, proper mudguards make such a difference. The copper colour of the frameset option for the Genesis is lovely IMO.

Spa Cycles is a super-cheap Genesis-like option if you want a Reynolds 725 frame & carbon fork Spa Cycles Audax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    I suppose around 600/700 euro for the frame and then as I said pick up bits and pieces as I go. Like the look of that cannondale!

Decent discounts on 2014 CAAD 10s here

CAAD 10 105 for €1099

CAAD10 3 Ultegra for €1519

Advertisement