Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost for Project Supervisor Design Process(PSDP).

Options
  • 09-03-2015 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All
    Could anyone pls tell me how much we might be charged for a PSDP ? We are doing a kitchen/utility extension (6mx7m) on a private house.
    Thanks
    CM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

A psdp is required for works over 30 working days or if there is more than one contractor so it's unlikely you could argue against the need for one. If you have a supervising engineer/architect/technician they would normally take on the role of psdp aswell but expect to pay €1k+ extra for them to take it on

If they are internal dimensions, you will also fall under new building control regulations requirements (>40 m2)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cm2 wrote: »
    Hi All
    Could anyone pls tell me how much we might be charged for a PSDP ? We are doing a kitchen/utility extension (6mx7m) on a private house.
    Thanks
    CM

Who is acting as your assigned Certifier?
    Have you lodged your commencement notice yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

You could scale it back to 6.6 by 6 which gives you 39.6 square meters then you can forget about any planning permission as it will be considered exempted development so long as your rear yard/garden is larger that 25 square meters when the extension is complete-assuming its a single story to the rear. You then avoid the issues of commencement notice and assigned certifer

If you have planning permission for 42 square meters and still want to build 42 square meters then you do need a commencement notice and an AC. But if so it will be an expensive two square meters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You could scale it back to 6.6 by 6 which gives you 39.6 square meters then you can forget about any planning permission as it will be considered exempted development so long as...

...and that the extension is to the rear of the existing...and...as long as the house has not been previously extended.

Note that relying on/taking advice on an internet forum can be dangerous!
    If you have planning permission for 42 square meters and still want to build 42 square meters then you do need a commencement notice and an AC. But if so it will be an expensive two square meters.

Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mark11original

Do I really need a project supervisor for the design process PSDP? I will be building a once off house?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Do I really need a project supervisor for the design process PSDP? I will be building a once off house?

Yes, typically the person preparing the design/tender drawings will oblige

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mark11original

Ya my architect will do it, but I wouldn't say oblige @ €800 plus vat. Was wondering if I could do with it really. Fair enough appointing someone like the builder for the construction stage but bit mad for the design stage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Ya my architect will do it, but I wouldn't say oblige @ €800 plus vat. Was wondering if I could do with it really. Fair enough appointing someone like the builder for the construction stage but bit mad for the design stage.

Hi welcome to the c&p forum - please don't spam posts, one is enough, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

800Euro plus VAT ....I would consider very reasonable for acting as PSDP. That would be a small fee for that role.

PSDP is an important role for any construction project as they are responsible for the designs, health and safety and risk assessment at design stage, and mainly for designing a building that can be safely constructed AND demolished, so it is not something that should be considered
    a bit mad for the design stage.

If **** hits the fan during construction and a contractor, sub-contractor or even a member of the public has an accident, someone is injured (minor or serious) which is a result of a poorly designed building, an undersized steel beam collapses that's holding up a wall etc. a constructability issue arises on site, or whatever that the HSA get involved and it is not seem as a contractor (PSCS) issue but a design issue, believe me the HSA will look for the PSDP to hold accountable....and it is the clients DUTY and responsibility to appoint the PSDP

So it will fall back to you, so suddenly you can see why a PSDP is important and needed. Also you as a client have a responsibility to ensure that the person(s) you appoint as PSDP are competent to carry out the role....that's important, you must be able to show that you checked the PSDPs competency, background, previous works etc

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Designers, Contractors AND Client all have duties and responsibilities.....the client can't simply get away anymore with "it's nothing to do with me, that's the architect or contractors fault"

The client has to show they have appointed competent people to carry out roles, not just any architect/engineer that can draw pretty houses/buildings....they must be able to design it with every safety standard in place, and show the client that they can,

• Advertisement
Advertisement