Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mudguards for Boardman Road Comp

• 09-03-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭

I'm hoping someone here might have advice on suitable mudguards for Boardman Road Comp. Someone with the misfortune of cycling behind me this week was not impressed with my lack of them.
    I've seen various sites referring to SKS Raceblades and Crud Roadracers for bikes without clearance for traditional mudguards, but I'm not sure if these are also better for road bikes even when do have enough clearance? (The Boardman website says the Road Comp has 'full mudguard compatibility').
    Are the two types above much easier to take off when not needed?
    The SKS Raceblades are sold in sizes 18-23 and 25-32. I'm running 25mm Gatorskins but would the 25-32 size seem quite bulky on a racer? Tyre size does not seem to be as important for the Crud Roadracers, but the reviews aren't as good either.

If ordinary mudguards are better, does anyone have any particular recommendations? Some I've seen seem too wide for a road bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

I've that bike with the crud mkII as per link below
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/crud-road-racer-mudguard-set-mkii/rp-prod54934

They work great, especially the extra cover around front derailleur i've used them all winter.

Only thing i found was the clearance is minimal so if you pick up lots of mud the best thing to do is drop wheel out and give it a good clean down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Found these really good on the my Altamira, easy to put on and off and good coverage even down to the brake caliper. Clearance is no problem

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/bbb-bbb-mudguards-road-bbb-roadprotector-guards/bbbamudr220

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I use the crud mkII aswell,on my 3rd winter with them,very good coverage and they don't move or rub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have long raceblades on my Boardman - they fit well and are slightly more sturdy than cruds (although mine has now snapped across the width under a support stay!). Have crud IIs on my commuter. Not a lot in it really. The cruds are good once they're fitted properly, but I prefer the long raceblade mounts as there is no frame rub. (but they make removing wheels that little more hassle as the mount brackets are on the QR skewers))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭27cyrix

www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-shield-r30-strap-on-road-mudguard-set/

i use zefal shild R30, looks nice and well made.
    there are two rear spoilers(short and long)
    width 30mm. so can be used with 25mm or even 28mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've Crud MKII's also. Fitted them last September and find them Excellent. Very neat fitting, great coverage and don't rub anywhere. I especially like the extra coverage for the RD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

Thanks everyone!

Seems like multiple options are probably ok so just have to make a decision between spending more money or trying to get away with just a rear one of the cheaper BBB ones linked to by Borderfox as they're sold separately unlike the others.

I have long raceblades on my Boardman - they fit well and are slightly more sturdy than cruds (although mine has now snapped across the width under a support stay!). Have crud IIs on my commuter. Not a lot in it really. The cruds are good once they're fitted properly, but I prefer the long raceblade mounts as there is no frame rub. (but they make removing wheels that little more hassle as the mount brackets are on the QR skewers))

Do you have 23mm or 25mm tyres?
    Hope the snapping wasn't while cycling, I'd probably find it a bit scary if there was bits flying off my bike that could get caught in things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

loughgill wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!

Seems like multiple options are probably ok so just have to make a decision between spending more money or trying to get away with just a rear one of the cheaper BBB ones linked to by Borderfox as they're sold separately unlike the others.

Do you have 23mm or 25mm tyres?
    Hope the snapping wasn't while cycling, I'd probably find it a bit scary if there was bits flying off my bike that could get caught in things.

The rear mudguard just broke in two under where the bracket sits. A few bits of gaffer tape and its grand now. I was going to swap the sets over as the crud mounting points rub the frame slightly and my Boardman frame is in worse shape than my Cube, but I cut the rear crud slightly to fit the Cube and I think it will work better where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Bbb mudguards are good easy to clip off when its dry also

Advertisement