Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Files on CD disappeared...?

Options
  • 09-03-2015 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hey! I don't have much experience of using CDs to save files and stuff, so could appreciate some insight.

I've placed pictures onto a CD. Didn't burn it (don't know why) ... and it gave me an option on how to treat the CD (like a USB etc ..). I chose the option which allowed me to store files.

Days later, I'm putting the CD back into the laptop and an notification comes up saying "Files waiting to be burnt" or something like that when I pop the CD in. Although, there are no more files. The CD is empty when I open it, but when I look at the properties, something is taking up space (I presume the pictures).

I really need the pictures from this CD, which I thought I saved on the day onto the thing.

(I would of used an easy to use USB, but my family want old fashioned CDs ...:confused::confused: )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Luckydog69

I would try CD Recovery Toolbox Free to see if it could recover the files on the CD, otherwise I would burn them again onto another disc if you still have access to them...I always use a rewritable disk now just in case something goes wrong..far too many disks turned into coasters over the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You cached the files ready to be burnt but never actually burnt them I suspect OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

ED E wrote: »
    You cached the files ready to be burnt but never actually burnt them I suspect OP.

This is the exact answer OP. If you put another blank CD into the drive it would say the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Whats a CD?

syklops wrote: »
    Whats a CD?

Charles Darwin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

ED E wrote: »

Is there a way to open the cache files?

The cached files aren't really the files proper, these are simply references to the original files for the purpose of telling your CD writer where the files are located when you initiate the burn process. In other words these "files" are of no practical use to you. You need to locate the original files themselves unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

syklops wrote: »
    Whats a CD?

It's a bit like a USB drive, only round and very thin. We used them for storing small amounts of digital data near the end of the last millennium.

Advertisement