Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You Have No Idea What’s Behind These Clickbait Headlines!

• 09-03-2015 10:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭

These three deadliest drugs in America are all totally legal!

This Is The Personality Trait That Most Often Predicts Success!

What Happens When A Horse Discovers A Kiddie Pool? You Won’t Believe It!

Could anyone involved in the Click Bait industry and "headlines" like the above please do us all a favour and shoot yourself in the face? Thanks.

What's the worst Click Bait headline you've seen and what are your thoughts on this internet plague?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Dep! wrote: »

What's the worst Click Bait headline you've seen and what are your thoughts on this internet plague?

"Don't click here" ........gets me every time :mad:

My thoughts are that it doesn't really bother me though as I've formulated a foolproof solution. Don't click on them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

"You'll never believe what happened next"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"5 Secrets of a Flat Belly"

Must have suckered in many an even slightly self-conscious man. I clicked once out of curiosity and got through about 10 links promising me the secret among whole paragraphs of waffling if I clicked on just this one link...

... and then I realised a jog for the length of time I'd spent clicking would more than do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Buzzfeed and gawker ****e.
    Also dermatologists hate her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

Buzzfeed and gawker ****e.
    Also dermatologists hate her.

Was it Buzzfeed who started it all? I don't remember it around as much before they began gaining in popularity in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

This will blow your mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

"You Have No Idea What’s Behind These Clickbait Headlines!" was one.
    Got me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

47yo patriot discovers 'weird' trick to slash power bill & end Obama's power monopoly!

This will blow your mind!

Ya got me ya ballix ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

No disrespect to you personally, but, I'm sorry, to me....this is stupid.

Headlines are written with the INTENT of catching people's attention. If a particular style proves effective, it's because THAT IS WHAT PEOPLE WANT.

Clearly, it's not what *you* want. I'm sure you aren't alone, and you're welcome to write headlines that cater to your sensibilities or to seek out places that write headlines how you like to see them. But, it seems like you're probably in the minority. As demonstrated by the effectiveness.

If you have to *blame* someone for the situation, blame the people who like headlines different from yourself. Not the writers who are successfully providing entertainment in the way that other people enjoy.

Still, in my opinion, it seems pretty silly to hold a grudge against people for liking stuff you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

UCDVet wrote: »

Headlines are written with the INTENT of catching people's attention. If a particular style proves effective, it's because THAT IS WHAT PEOPLE WANT.

Clearly, it's not what *you* want. I'm sure you aren't alone, and you're welcome to write headlines that cater to your sensibilities or to seek out places that write headlines how you like to see them. But, it seems like you're probably in the minority. As demonstrated by the effectiveness.

If you have to *blame* someone for the situation, blame the people who like headlines different from yourself. Not the writers who are successfully providing entertainment in the way that other people enjoy.

Still, in my opinion, it seems pretty silly to hold a grudge against people for liking stuff you don't.

No. It's always wilfully misleading to get you to click on a site and click through page upon page. Do you even know what it is?

Never used by reputable sites, usually found on sh!t like Joe.ie and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

AH is the king of clickbait articles sure.

Jesus :eek:

Angry much?

How do you know it's what people want? Stupid people maybe. People with too much time on their hands? Maybe.

But please don't lecture us by saying it's what people want. Clickbait is the the Daily Sport/National Enquirer of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The whole clickbait thing would appear to my untrained eye to be a pyramid scheme of sorts. Sites like the journal.ie take news from media sources like Reuters, the Independent and the Times and republish it with a few changes. Place a few related articles links underneath it, and open the floor to the baying masses to post their ill-informed opinions about what tend to be complex economic, political and societal stories. The media outlets struggling to still remain relevant with their traditional model of charging for news are being eaten alive by parasites who won't have these outlets to steal from when the whole model becomes untenable.

You'll then end up with sites filled with sponsored articles, cheap rehashing of press releases, and news that is sold to the highest bidder. So excuse me if I still think that paying less than €3 for access to the digital edition of the Times and the Indo is worth paying a price for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The whole clickbait thing would appear to my untrained eye to be a pyramid scheme of sorts. Sites like the journal.ie take news from media sources like Reuters, the Independent and the Times and republish it with a few changes. Place a few related articles links underneath it, and open the floor to the baying masses to post their ill-informed opinions about what tend to be complex economic, political and societal stories. The media outlets struggling to still remain relevant with their traditional model of charging for news are being eaten alive by parasites who won't have these outlets to steal from when the whole model becomes untenable.

You'll then end up with sites filled with sponsored articles, cheap rehashing of press releases, and news that is sold to the highest bidder. So excuse me if I still think that paying less than €3 for access to the digital edition of the Times and the Indo is worth paying a price for.

In fairness paying to access the indo :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

In fairness paying to access the indo :pac: :pac:

The Indo has the largest circulation of any of the daily papers. The Sindo is the paper with the most copies sold on a Sunday. The titles represent an enormous rump of Irish society that still aspire to count themselves as middle class. As unfashionable and tragic as that may seem to the new cohort of online activists who believe that a policy of taking other peoples money and bleating on about a conflict we are all bored about represents the modern face of Ireland.

So I'll continue to pay for it. My ability to pay for it and read it subjectively is far more worthy than you not paying for it; but being hugely outraged about the articles you invariably end up reading to the end.

Re:thejournal.ie, they are owned by the parent company of Boards AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

The Indo has the largest circulation of any of the daily papers. The Sindo is the paper with the most copies sold on a Sunday. The titles represent an enormous rump of Irish society that still aspire to count themselves as middle class. As unfashionable and tragic as that may seem to the new cohort of online activists who believe that a policy of taking other peoples money and bleating on about a conflict we are all bored about represents the modern face of Ireland.

So I'll continue to pay for it. My ability to pay for it and read it subjectively is far more worthy than you not paying for it; but being hugely outraged about the articles you invariably end up reading to the end.

Paying for something that's available freely, and of better quality in many other media outlets. Everyone has to have a hobby I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The reason it has the biggest circulation in Ireland is because it's actually harder to pay for it than get for free
    Doctors surgeries,haitdresser,some pubs etc I l ow people working there say they get it for free!!!

It doesn't really do news though....opinion pieces aren't news.....neither should celeb news and rich lists count as news
    And it's free to access online...even in London at least....
    Why are you paying??

It is a poor comparison to the examiner IMO....the only paper that at least attempts news and impartial reporting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Don't click on them. If people didn't click on them them they wouldn't exist. Unfortunately people do, I've seen the numbers and this crap is ridiculously successful. Some company in Israel are very successful from creating this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Click bait everywhere and then when something interesting happens like a duck gives birth to a dog nobody reports it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Her dad caught her masturbating..you won't believe what he did next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Clickbaiters must die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

what are your thoughts on this internet plague?

Clickbait doesn't work with me, I just ignore it. Sensationalism tends to send me in the opposite direction.

jester77 wrote: »
    Don't click on them. If people didn't click on them them they wouldn't exist.

What are the numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

It's the news headline equivalent of those pricks that post things like "I can't believe the day I've just had" on FB and then sit there hitting Refresh until someone asks what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

Number 7 Will Shock You!

Number 7 Will Shock You!

But Number 8 Makes You More Money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

If there was no clickbait, there'd be no Clickhole, and I wouldn't get as many of me daily chuckles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Links not working in OP !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

At the high point of ppc ads on FB 'like' pages, some of the admins of the large pages (>1m likes) were generating thousands of dollars per day, from absolutely minimum effort. Look at the lad bible, it's worth a few million and it's absolutely sh!t, obviously people want that kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

'Basic Lubricants and Servicing' ..... but it was from the Cycling Forum.

One post has the following entry : Dry lube for summer / dry periods and wet lube for winter / wetter periods...... so maybe there is some hidden meaning or maybe I am a dirtbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Dude, no. Clickbait headlines are not what people want or enjoy, that's a ridiculous assertion. They are designed to get people to click, which they do effectively. That's not the same as people enjoying or desiring to click on misleading headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Was it Buzzfeed who started it all? I don't remember it around as much before they began gaining in popularity in Ireland.

Other sites have always had it, it's just that they would use it now and again while Buzzfeed are utterly dependant on it. I think I remember hearing about how they research people's behaviours in order to manipulate them to click things most effectively instead of, I dunno, writing good articles that make people actually want to come back.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

The whole clickbait thing would appear to my untrained eye to be a pyramid scheme of sorts. Sites like the journal.ie take news from media sources like Reuters, the Independent and the Times and republish it with a few changes. Place a few related articles links underneath it, and open the floor to the baying masses of balding, potbellied Irishmen in football shirts to post their ill-informed opinions about what tend to be complex economic, political and societal stories. The media outlets struggling to still remain relevant with their traditional model of charging for news are being eaten alive by parasites who won't have these outlets to steal from when the whole model becomes untenable.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

She earns $4796 per month by working from home! Find out how!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Can anybody imagine if this sort of **** existed as a form of news throughout history?:

"You'll never believe what this German dictator wants to do...click here to find out!"

A new low https://thelotter.com/weird-lottery-winner-stories/?utm_source=Taboola&utm_medium=Article&utm_campaign=Hiding_Places_EN_Mobile

The "bait" was a pic of a giant pair of tits. For shame internet, for shame!

Advertisement