Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single parent and social housing

Options
  • 09-03-2015 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hey,

I am new to this, I am not even sure that I am posting this in the right place but here goes..I am a single parent, I have a daughter who is 17 months old. I got kicked out of my family home so I went and applied to the county council for social housing while staying in my grand parents house. They refused me on the grounds that I was adequately accommodated.This was not the case as I was staying in my grandparents storage room with my child but the housing department did not even send an inspector out to the house to see our living conditions, so I dont understand how they could come to that decision?

This was there second time refusing me social housing, the first time I was working part time and was living in a 4 bedroom house, so I was expecting to be refused but said I would chance it as I was not earning enough to pay for rental accommodation by myself. The second time, I appealed it as my grandparents wrote a letter to say that I was staying with them on a temporary basis and I ended up having to declare myself homeless,I am still actively looking for work but have had no joy.

Since then I have had to leave my grandparents house as they just did not have the room for myself and my daughter, and I am currently staying between friend's houses. This is very hard on my daughter as she finds it hard to settle in strange places all the time but what can I do?

I have written a letter of appeal back to the council to say that my circumstances have changed yet again but what are the chances of getting a good response back? I have engaged with local Councillors and charities, but I am terrified of bringing my daughter into a homeless shelter for many reasons. I would really appreciate any help or advice

Thanks in advance :confused:

Comments

Advertisement