Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD house insurance - warning to landlords

Options
  • 09-03-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just dealing with a claim for a property owner who had a property damaged by fire. House insurance is with FBD.

Property was rented and it has just been noted that the policy on loss of rent only covers private occupiers as standard. Therefore there is no cover for loss of rent for a landlord under the policy. Something to be aware of for landlords with FBD household policy as this is something that the other insurers appear to cover as standard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

kkelliher wrote: »
    ............... the policy on loss of rent only covers private occupiers as standard.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

In the event of repairs been required as a result of fire etc, their standard policy only covers the cost of rehousing you if you own and live in the property. If your a landlord who owns the property but rents it out, the loss of rent whilst the property is been repaired is not covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Sounds as if the cover wasn't arranged properly. Policy wording should have been checked in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP is correct. but when renewing they offer the rental cover as extra. other insurance companies offer it as standard. for that reason I switched . Its just not professional in my opinion, I thought a little underhanded move to extract extra cash.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

is that landlord specific insurance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement