Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bill Griffin Motors - Feedback

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

...without mentioning the Make & Model of car you traded in your post is fairly pointless.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I see. You know that some cars are more valuable than others though. Saab 93s aren't worth a whole lot these days.
    I can get you a 3 bed house in Limerick for 30,000 if you like. Makes the €300,000 3 bed ones elsewhere look like a rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it doesnt matter how much my car is worth, it's illustrating that a 2005 car must be worth more than that. That's the point and with a point, it can't be pointless now can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How much do you think the trade in value should be in this case?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

it doesnt matter how much my car is worth, it's illustrating that a 2005 car must be worth more than that. That's the point and with a point, it can't be pointless now can it?

Plenty of 05 cars at that price tbh especially on a trade in

• Advertisement

plenty at 2500 too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

So,

I bought a car from them last year.
    Wanted to trade in my old car and was given an approx. trade in price as I didn't have the car with me.
    When I brought in my car they offered 300 less for it when they seen it (bald tyres ,no NCT.. fair enough I thought)

I had a mechanic look at the car I was buying and he said it was sound so I bought it.
    It was a UK import and they registered it. No hassle contacting them looking for the reg to insure it etc.
    No hassle test driving and when I went to collect it it was ready and spotless.

I was happy with the deal but I was also left standing around initially waiting for someone to come to me and had to go looking for cars myself and found the one I wanted on the roof. It wasn't on the website and was way down the back and dirty.. probably just arrived which gives an indication of how quick they sell their stock.
    All in all, if your not too precious and get someone to look at the car for you before you buy I would recommend them.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much do you think the trade in value should be in this case?

As much as you can negotiate for. If you can't get as much as you'd like , go elsewhere. as the OP did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

You've lost me completely.

I can get a 2002 Corolla for €2500.. I can also get a 2005 Focus for €2500.. Different cars have different values.

yes, and 1500 is too low imo... it's worth what you can get for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Odelay

To value a trade in car based on the first two digits of the registration plate is absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I I had a look at a few cars there over the last few months, 1 thing I have learnt is he shifts cars quick. So must be doing something right. Most cars I have looked at have had Dealer plate on them, ie windsor motors, Mike Tynon etc. He seems to get first call on trade ins with a number of dealers.

I did buy a car there, long time ago. Car was a Jap import, agreed a price, gave him a deposit and collected the car within a few days. Never had an ounce of trouble with it. That was back in 1998, he is in the same building with the same name since then. Better than most of the fly by nights around there.

I would ahve no issue buying a car from them, just check the car out fully first.
    Thanks Bill :)

yes, and 1500 is too low imo... it's worth what you can get for it.

Yes I would agree that €1500 is low to give for the car, you could get nearly €3000 (or more depending on condition) if you were to sell it privately.

But, your previous statement saying that you got €4500 for a 2006 car makes no sense as you are not even saying what make or model the car is! Unless it was also a Saab 93 then you cannot compare it to what @ab33 has said.

Its basically like saying that a 151 Nissan Micra is worth the same as a 151 BMW 520 because "they both have a 151 reg"

Odelay wrote: »
    To value a trade in car based on the first two digits of the registration plate is absurd.

so is that statement....noone has done that, not even me.

Yes I would agree that €1500 is low to give for the car, you could get nearly €3000 (or more depending on condition) if you were to sell it privately.

But, your previous statement saying that you got €4500 for a 2006 car makes no sense as you are not even saying what make or model the car is! Unless it was also a Saab 93 then you cannot compare it to what @ab33 has said.

Its basically like saying that a 151 Nissan Micra is worth the same as a 151 BMW 520 because "they both have a 151 reg"

not saying that at all.

not saying that at all.

Unless you can clarify that you meant something else by this, I think you kinda were.. :rolleyes:
    1500 for a 2005 car? I just got a trade in of 4500+ on my 2006....

you were being mugged
    You got €4500 for an 06 Saab 93?
    no I didn't I referred to getting 4500 for a 2006 CAR as opposed to 1500 for a 2005 CAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I see. You know that some cars are more valuable than others though. Saab 93s aren't worth a whole lot these days.
    I can get you a 3 bed house in Limerick for 30,000 if you like. Makes the €300,000 3 bed ones elsewhere look like a rip-off.
    Would it be in the Moyross area ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

no I didn't I referred to getting 4500 for a 2006 CAR as opposed to 1500 for a 2005 CAR
    Odelay wrote: »

The idiotic Irish mentality that the thing that matters most on a car is the year that it was registered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

not saying that at all.

It's exactly what you're saying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

so is that statement....noone has done that, not even me.

That is exactly what you have done.
    ...and still we wait to hear what Make & Model of Car you are referring to.

edit; Prettyboy got in there just before me, but that simply reinforces the point that your post (#29) was complete nonsense.

• Advertisement

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    The idiotic Irish mentality that the thing that matters most on a car is the year that it was registered...

I'm not Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Its a completely invalid point. I have a 2005 daewoo matiz, will you give mt more than 1500 quid for it? on the other hand i'll give you 1500 quid for a 05 Bentley or Aston Martin.

What everyone is saying is that you got 4500 for a 06 car which bears no connection to the make, model, year, condition or mileage of the Saab in question. You are compairing apples and bags of cement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The trade in value is irrelevant, the cost to change is most important.

Different cars have different margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bolomaster

What on earth is going on in this thread?

Grand to see some opinions on that Dealer - I think I'll steer clear of him so.

Bolomaster wrote: »
    What on earth is going on in this thread?

Grand to see some opinions on that Dealer - I think I'll steer clear of him so.

I think we have all gone off topic there for a while.. To anyone viewing this thread then just ignore the majority of Page 3 and part of Page 4 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I genuinely cant believe this garage gets business! The going back on their word, that sale they lost over E100, I wouldnt do business with them out of principle...

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

One post wonders posting negative reviews are not welcome on the site - if you see similar again, please report it instead of engaging.

Descent into nonsense and bickering + multiple potentially defamatory comments having to be removed = closed thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement