Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Stheno wrote: »
    Lol
    anyone noticed the traffic in Dublin is not as mental the past few days?

Traffic in Tipperary is grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Anyone know if your car must be Irish registered to get a parking permit?

Varies by council but my experience of DCC was that it needed to be insured at the address to get a resident's permit. In the end, I just bought a load of the visitor permits and used them 5 days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I'll just leave this here.

tumblr_mp3d3qjgjl1rclukwo1_500-558beea2024b8.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

God I hate thursdays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

God I hate thursdays

why? Thursdays are payday:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

why? Thursdays are payday:D

Thursdays I have a difficult consulting gig

I'm on holidays, so I don't give a fook what day it is :D

pred racer wrote: »

Sometimes I really wish there was a dislike button :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Marcusm wrote: »
    Varies by council but my experience of DCC was that it needed to be insured at the address to get a resident's permit. In the end, I just bought a load of the visitor permits and used them 5 days a week.
    Cheers for coming back. I passed up the house as I wasn't sure. Trying to get rental property is fcuking painful in Dublin especially if you want a 1/2 bedroom place with 2 car parking spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Cheers for coming back. I passed up the house as I wasn't sure. Trying to get rental property is fcuking painful in Dublin especially if you want a 1/2 bedroom place with 2 car parking spots.

You could always be really sneaky and rent a place with regulated visitor parking (park by text by ncps) where you can park as a visitor 3 days a week then swap around. I don't do this but I know a number of NCPS developments use this scheme. The place I have a flat did this because an enterprising resident had started renting out the visitor parking to Googlers.

• Advertisement

I bet yours aren't as long as mine :P

Marcusm wrote: »
    You could always be really sneaky and rent a place with regulated visitor parking (park by text by ncps) where you can park as a visitor 3 days a week then swap around. I don't do this but I know a number of NCPS developments use this scheme. The place I have a flat did this because an enterprising resident had started renting out the visitor parking to Googlers.

I'd go ape **** if I got clamped but that's not a bad old idea at all.

I'd go ape **** if I got clamped but that's not a bad old idea at all.

Buy a c5 or a xantia, let down the suspension and the clamp won't fit ;)

I was driving the Punto, there was a bit of rain so I turned on the wipers and then turned them off mid-wipe and they got stuck there. They didn't move regardless of how I moved the switch. After parking I popped the bonnet, gave the wiper linkage a few taps and they're working again.

A little while later I was pulling into a Tesco car park and there was a blue 00 Punto driving out of it, and the person behind the wheel gave me a strange wave. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

GvidoR wrote: »
    I was driving the Punto, there was a bit of rain so I turned on the wipers and then turned them off mid-wipe and they got stuck there. They didn't move regardless of how I moved the switch. After parking I popped the bonnet, gave the wiper linkage a few taps and they're working again.

A little while later I was pulling into a Tesco car park and there was a blue 00 Punto driving out of it, and the person behind the wheel gave me a strange wave. :P

Sounds like the linkage is failing, a common fault. Uprated links are available for about €40

dgt wrote: »
    Sounds like the linkage is failing, a common fault. Uprated links are available for about €40

Uh oh, I hope not. I was hoping for trouble-free motoring for a couple of months. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Bought a few rolls of window tint to try and learn how to do it.

It's like p*ssing against the wind pretty much.

Either the wind start blowing at the tint and it comes off the window while you're trying to prep it; you fcuk it up trying to cut the tint to size it properly; failing to remove the clear plastic off the glue side because it's impossible to catch the corner; overheating the tint with the heat gun when trying to get the fingers out.

I don't know how the pros do it... I can understand now why they charge 200 euro for a decent car tint.

Uh oh, I hope not. I was hoping for trouble-free motoring for a couple of months. :P

Sure you can cobble it up for a while if it totally fails! :D
    Pov06 wrote: »
    Bought a few rolls of window tint to try and learn how to do it.

It's like p*ssing against the wind pretty much.

Either the wind start blowing at the tint and it comes off the window while you're trying to prep it; you fcuk it up trying to cut the tint to size it properly; failing to remove the clear plastic off the glue side because it's impossible to catch the corner; overheating the tint with the heat gun when trying to get the fingers out.

I don't know how the pros do it... I can understand now why they charge 200 euro for a decent car tint.

Tinting isn't too bad, you just need the highest quality tint you can get. That's the secret to a good tint.

Cheapo tint will crinkle and isn't designed to shrink which is critical to curved windows

Source: I've hung up my tinting boots years ago :D

dgt wrote: »
    Sure you can cobble it up for a while if it totally fails! :D

...or I could do this, if it totally fails. :D

• Advertisement

I've had to do that before when my wiper blade ripped in the frost :o

And if that isn't stupid enough the throttle cable broke on the red 406 in the RCSI. Broke out some baling twine, tied it to the throttle and drove it home using my hands instead of feet as the accelerator.

Drove the E39 from the exact same spot without being able to disengage the clutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

To the numpty who was driving in the over takin lane on the M9 I hope you got a nice big telling off or a fine from the unmarked Gardai because you sure as hell annoyed me

Autosport wrote: »
    To the numpty who was driving in the over takin lane on the M9 I hope you got a nice big telling off or a fine from the unmarked Gardai because you sure as hell annoyed me

Don't think I posted this, but yesterday driving home on Gardiner St. all the traffic was held up due to a mobility scooter driving down the middle of the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Don't think I posted this, but yesterday driving home on Gardiner St. all the traffic was held up due to a mobility scooter driving down the middle of the road!

The scooter would have been faster, he wasn't even doing 100km and anyone trying to overtake the few lorries had to slow down and go behind him and then go back into the driving lane in the end I undertook him but the Gardai didn't and pulled him over :D <--- my face when I saw that happen

The scooter would have been faster, he wasn't even doing 100km and anyone trying to overtake the few lorries had to slow down and go behind him and then go back into the driving lane in the end I undertook him but the Gardai didn't and pulled him over :D <--- my face when I saw that happen

If I was a Garda I would spend all day, every day doing this.
    On my break I'd sit on a roundabout and pull people who don't know which lane is which :D

Is this your man from yesterday on Gardiner St? Or have I completely read that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

On my break I'd sit on a roundabout and pull people who don't know which lane is which :D

Incoming numpty! Deploy the stinger!

You should get a job on College Green during rush hour.

I've had two colleagues who got the arse ripped out of them for driving in the bus gate :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

You should get a job on College Green during rush hour.

I've had two colleagues who got the arse ripped out of them for driving in the bus gate :D

i usually get good humor out of the lads there to be fair to them.

people going through think they can play dumb and get away with it, absolute mongos.

on a unrelated note. what are the chances emigrating to NYC to become a cop ?

people going through think they can play dumb and get away with it, absolute mongos.

Both of these colleagues would be individuals with a high opinion of themselves and their self importance :pac: I.e. they would be the type to send snotty emails to our admin staff basically telling them they are idiots, and to obey the new rules they (self important ones) have decided need to be followed, when they've no right to even invent these rules

On the emigrating - zero

In other news, I spent all evening drawing water out of the river to water everything, and now it's bloody pissing down :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Coming on to the N7 towards Naas, I get onto the slip road at the Poitin Stil pub, learner driver in front of me. I'm literally accelerating quick to get to 100 km/h because the slip road is quite short there and all of a sudden the learner driver jumps on the brakes, turns on their hazards and parks at the side of the slip road :confused:

Ended up slowing down to a stop pretty much and 7000 RPM'ing it to get to 100 km/h.

Some people are just daft, why the fcuk would you get on the the N7 and then stop for a break???

There was a petrol station like a few hundred meters away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Look for a book called NYPD Green, Easons in Dundrum have it. Its a true story about an Irish guy who emigrated to NY to become a cop. Fantastic read

But now unless you have a sponsor, absolutely none. Such a move is on my possible to-do list later in life

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Saw something hilarious yesterday, southbound on the n7 at 1730 at Johnstown. In the overtaking lane, a car being pushed. No sign of them trying to get the car over to the hard shoulder. Unreal, and at that hour of the evening. And only one guy pushing the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Agreed to "valet" a 2008 accent tomorrow. Owner has it since new, doubt it's seen too many clean outs. He's in his 80's so won't be fussy, and the car is black so a coat of polish should make a world of difference, to him anyway. Restricted to 2.5 hours for the complete job, so I'll be going hell for leather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You thinking of becoming racist and getting to shoot people for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Agreed to "valet" a 2008 accent tomorrow. Owner has it since new, doubt it's seen too many clean outs. He's in his 80's so won't be fussy, and the car is black so a coat of polish should make a world of difference, to him anyway. Restricted to 2.5 hours for the complete job, so I'll be going hell for leather!

I was down your neck of the woods today I think...! Some amount of Fords there! I was in Westport and then the road from there to Galway then back to Dublin....

166man wrote: »
    I was down your neck of the woods today I think...! Some amount of Fords there! I was in Westport and then the road from there to Galway then back to Dublin....

I don't really notice that(about a lot of fords), I should look out more.
    Did you go through connemara or through the Ballinrobe way back to Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Better than the guy I met on Monday.. 2010 Mazda 6 came shooting up behind me (literally out of no where) as I was overtaking a truck. I moved into the left lane to let him pass and he shot past me then to be stuck behind another car in the right lane.. This guy went to undertake him and he was then stuck behind another car, so he undertook that car too (drove over the yellow line into the hard shoulder) and he ploughed on after that! I was honestly just waiting for an accident to happen!

Although I did grin when we reached the toll-bridge and I got away from it before he did :D

In other news, I spent all evening drawing water out of the river to water everything, and now it's bloody pissing down :mad:

What were you watering?

What were you watering?

Plants and vegetables I suppose.

• Advertisement

Plants and vegetables I suppose.

Pred is a keen gardener and interior decorator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

This is a good one :)

...How fanboys on the internet react when you tell them that their favorite car is not the best in the world...

tumblr_nqfjyamdkp1uy7k5vo1_500-558c555095e49.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Something something Lexus....Toyota something something

:pac:

God damn it, I had to turn around from heading to work this morning.
    Engine lost power and when I stopped it cut out.

Pulls like a train high up but won't idle.

Could be something simple hopefully!

Oh well that's life I guess..

YbFocus wrote: »

Woo hoo! Day off work!!! I'd definitely use that as an excuse anyway. Hopefully its nothing too serious.

Woo hoo! Day off work!!! I'd definitely use that as an excuse anyway. Hopefully its nothing too serious.

I'd rather be in there than at this now :)

Typical that it has been perfect since Jan but now with a week to the test it kicks up a ****storm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

shouda bought one of these :P

474670d1146409380-karachi-track-devils-point-30-april-2006-lexus_corolla_py3_pakwheels-com-.jpg

I'd rather be in there than at this now :)

Typical that it has been perfect since Jan but now with a week to the test it kicks up a ****storm :)

Always the way. This car had a wheel bearing go just before the test. The clutch went on my very first car taking the gear box with it on its way to the test centre. I've definitely angered the motoring gods somewhere along the line.

Maf half unplugged itself???

Day off :D

• Advertisement

Maf half unplugged itself???

Day off :D

Happy days!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement