Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What did you buy mhackett

Older very low mileage Corrolla from a previous post iirc

Edit here ya go

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96085121&postcount=7612

Good find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

What did you buy mhackett

2003 Toyota Corolla 1.4vvti with only 30k miles. Not the most exciting car in the world, but Im happy with it - and it was one of the cheapest insurance quotes I got :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

2003 Toyota Corolla 1.4vvti with only 30k miles. Not the most exciting car in the world, but Im happy with it - and it was one of the cheapest insurance quotes I got :)

I forgot to wish you well with it :) I hope you really enjoy having your own car, there is nothing like it :):)

Stheno wrote: »
    I forgot to wish you well with it :) I hope you really enjoy having your own car, there is nothing like it :):)

Thanks Stheno, much appreciated :) Im very happy with it, and the fact I can actually call it my own car!! Planning on picking up a set of original Toyota alloys for it next week, hopefully will look better than the plastic trimming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Unreal mileage! I think they're a great yoke anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Thanks Stheno, much appreciated :) Im very happy with it, and the fact I can actually call it my own car!! Planning on picking up a set of original Toyota alloys for it next week, hopefully will look better than the plastic trimming.

The likes of these is what would look well, but these look rough, off the luna spec.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/alloyswheels-for-sale/toyota-corolla-alloys/9517414

Even the t3 alloys off the facelift would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Sounds like a great find. Any harm asking you what part of the county you got it in?

I remember my first real car, it was an ancient Daihatsu Charade, but knowing it was mine, to put my music into, my air fresheners, seat position for the drivers seat etc were all fun :)

The alloys will definitely make a difference

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Sounds like a great find. Any harm asking you what part of the county you got it in?

After six months and about six cars, I'm convinced it's pure luck this happens

I got my car from a dealer down the road in Blanch, I'm in Swords as it just arrived in!

Now my mechanic has a pile of elderly clients and at least twice a year he knows of smaller engined cars for sale with feck all mileage as they've passed away

The likes of these is what would look well, but these look rough, off the luna spec.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/alloyswheels-for-sale/toyota-corolla-alloys/9517414

Even the t3 alloys off the facelift would work.

They are actually the alloys im looking for! Those ones will need a very good clean. Not sure if that guy has 3 alloys and one spare wheel, or 4 alloys - I tried calling but got no answer.

ba_barabus wrote: »

Local garage to me, I'll PM you where they are :)

• Advertisement

After six months and about six cars, I'm convinced it's pure luck this happens

I got my car from a dealer down the road in Blanch, I'm in Swords as it just arrived in!

Now my mechanic has a pile of elderly clients and at least twice a year he knows of smaller engined cars for sale with feck all mileage as they've passed away

I made up a list this morning at work of all the cars I've test drove over the last six months - 10!! It is a pure coincidence that it has happened :)

Car arrived at this garage on thursday, I got a call and viewed it Thursday evening.. and again friday evening.. and again this evening.. I just couldnt leave it there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Wait, is this mhackett's first car?

I made up a list this morning at work of all the cars I've test drove over the last six months - 10!! It is a pure coincidence that it has happened :)

Car arrived at this garage on thursday, I got a call and viewed it Thursday evening.. and again friday evening.. and again this evening.. I just couldnt leave it there :)

Same with me, I literally found the car on whatever site, the day it was advertised, went and saw it/did a test drive the next day, agreed work to be done/nct, put down a deposit and that was it.

Most pleasant compared to private sellers. All work got done, three month warranty which I suspect is dead as it specified mileage which I think I've exceeded, but much much nicer than private sales ****e
    GvidoR wrote: »

Yeah as in he owns it. That was a big deal for me back in the day lol:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I thought so as I minded that little beast.
    Would you mind posting what happened?
    Was it due to poor maintenance?

Fault with the water pump. Bearing in it caused the pump to be at a different angle than it should have been. As the belt went round and round a fraction of it was removed each time until there was no more belt there.
    dont think it was an Alfa pump.

Yep! I know its not really an exciting car but Im going on about it as if it were a Ferrari :p

Also my first time taking out my own insurance policy, I hope to god that I will never see those figures on a quote again!

Yeah as in he owns it. That was a big deal for me back in the day lol:p

I know the feeling very well. Also getting the good news after a driving test. :)
    Yep! I know its not really an exciting car but Im going on about it as if it were a Ferrari :p

Also my first time taking out my own insurance policy, I hope to god that I will never see those figures on a quote again!

Ah sure, I've been driving a while and haven't had anything above 100hp. No harm in that, although I do hope to change that soon.

What's the insurance on this for you?

Fault with the water pump. Bearing in it caused the pump to be at a different angle than it should have been. As the belt went round and round a fraction of it was removed each time until there was no more belt there.
    dont think it was an Alfa pump.
    Jesus you couldn't account for that.

When the belt was replaced by me, the full kit was replaced which should have included the pump and it was done by Barrables who were alfa main dealers, which is why my mechanic sent it to them.

They handled all the parts. Is it possible given that you can up to four different part numbers for alfa parts for the same thing that they got the wrong part as part of the kit? That doesn't make any sense though? Makes sense as to why it failed :(

Delibghted it's back on the road, does it have an owner?

They are actually the alloys im looking for! Those ones will need a very good clean. Not sure if that guy has 3 alloys and one spare wheel, or 4 alloys - I tried calling but got no answer.

Yes, they'd need a fair dash of de ironiser! The 3 thing has me a tad confused too, I'd say it could be 3 alloys, 1 steelie, hopefully not though!

Yes, they'd need a fair dash of de ironiser! The 3 thing has me a tad confused too, I'd say it could be 3 alloys, 1 steelie, hopefully not though!

All this talk of alloys is making me aware mine are in ****e condition

Is it work refurbing them or do I look to replace them?

And on an entirely different note, one thing that drives me mad about the accord is the road noise, it's horrifically noisy on motorways, will doing a full alignment fix that or is it ****e tyres?

Two at least of the tyres are Maximus

Ah sure, I've been driving a while and haven't had anything above 100hp. No harm in that, although I do hope to change that soon.

What's the insurance on this for you?

Just shy of €2k. Ive no NCB, only 1 yr driving experience as a named driver and ive my full licence for less than a year - I always knew that it would be expensive. Its actually the cheapest quote Ive gotten for any car - and I tried everything, from 1ltr Micras to 2ltr Audi's :p

I reckon my only hope will be to call up a few dismantilers and try to describe the alloys over the phone and hope they have them. There's fck all on donedeal or adverts!

• Advertisement

J

I reckon my only hope will be to call up a few dismantilers and try to describe the alloys over the phone and hope they have them. There's fck all on donedeal or adverts!

Where are you based? WHelans just outside of Portlaoise are great to deal with over the phone, I'd recommend them, used them loads of times

http://www.whelandismantlers.com/?page_id=39

Where are you based? WHelans just outside of Portlaoise are great to deal with over the phone, I'd recommend them, used them loads of times

http://www.whelandismantlers.com/?page_id=39

Portlaoise is about half an hour away from me, I must give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for that! :)

All this talk of alloys is making me aware mine are in ****e condition

Is it work refurbing them or do I look to replace them?

And on an entirely different note, one thing that drives me mad about the accord is the road noise, it's horrifically noisy on motorways, will doing a full alignment fix that or is it ****e tyres?

Two at least of the tyres are Maximus

My wheels are in tatters too but even if they were in good nick they'd still look crap. Too small. It needs 17's instead of 16's. Trying to find a decent set that cost less than the car itself is proving difficult.

Also, I just bought this for the car because mine is brokenish. A cookie for the first person who guesses what it is :pac:

Portlaoise is about half an hour away from me, I must give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for that! :)

Definitely ring them, if they don't have them, and they get them, you can ask them to give you a shout and they are fab to deal with and will call you
    My wheels are in tatters too but even if they were in good nick they'd still look crap

I like mine they suit the car, so refurb? They just look shoddy

Just shy of €2k. Ive no NCB, only 1 yr driving experience as a named driver and ive my full licence for less than a year - I always knew that it would be expensive. Its actually the cheapest quote Ive gotten for any car - and I tried everything, from 1ltr Micras to 2ltr Audi's :p

Interesting. Did you try coverinaclick?

I like mine they suit the car, so refurb? They just look shoddy

Absolutely if you think its needed. Am I right in remembering that these are the same as yours?

Absolutely if you think its needed. Am I right in remembering that these are the same as yours?

Yup mine are caked in Dust and nearly black!

Yup mine are caked in Dust and nearly black!

Are they kerbed or damaged or anything? If not, a thorough cleaning might set them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

My wheels are in tatters too but even if they were in good nick they'd still look crap. Too small. It needs 17's instead of 16's. Trying to find a decent set that cost less than the car itself is proving difficult.

Also, I just bought this for the car because mine is brokenish. A cookie for the first person who guesses what it is :pac:

a new jaysus handle?

• Advertisement

Number plate bracket?

Nope and nope

Is it the catch yoke for opening the bonnet?

Or that handle that attaches to the carpet in the boot for getting at the spare wheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Yeah I'm still getting used to the Honda, for the most part it's used for motorway trips, my OH loves it though which is part of what is putting me off, as he suffered severe alfa hate. That said, commuting up to Newry and back all week, I've had no issues at all with it, and when I put the foot down it moves, which I'm slightly surprised at compared to the alfas, it certainly is as happy as the gtv, I never drove the V6 much on the motorway. I think I'm getting to the point where I like it, I'm just suspicious of it lol

Did you see the prototype Guilia?

Why a blacked out one?

I did indeed.. Pure sex on wheels.
    If I was to buy a new car in 2017 then it would be that.
    Utter class

Is it the catch yoke for opening the bonnet?

Or that handle that attaches to the carpet in the boot for getting at the spare wheel?

Na. We could be here all day. It's the fuel flap hinge. Another shoddy piece of plastic thats breaks easily on this car.

http://www.swedishautoparts.com/catimages/Volvo-S60-FUEL-DOOR-%26-RELATED.jpg?mt=1349115840

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Turbo lines are on their way :D

Much excitement

• Advertisement

So amaze Icon.306592.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Was anybody at acdc last night? They were unbelievable!

Nah, from what i heard it was unreal though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Nah, from what i heard it was unreal though

The who are my spirited drive soundtrack lately but I'll be switching back to acdc again. Nearly didn't go, and thanking my lucky stars I did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

July's part ex gold comp in the bag already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Big Nasty was I believe, looked to have been unreal!

Apparently they could be heard in blackrock

If anyone knows of any MK3 Golf, Vento or MK2 Punto (Gold) for breaking, please let me know. :)

Or a cheap whole car that's heading for the scrappers that I could get for a low price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

sblythe wrote: »
    July's part ex gold comp in the bag already

That's a seriously interesting combination

If anyone knows of any MK3 Golf, Vento or MK2 Punto (Gold) for breaking, please let me know. :)

Or a cheap whole car that's heading for the scrappers that I could get for a low price.

Here's what you do, save up about 170ish euro, put 40 or so of it in the car, take a day out and drive to kilcock and go to that scrapyard, you'l find everything you're after in it

Here's what you do, save up about 170ish euro, put 40 or so of it in the car, take a day out and drive to kilcock and go to that scrapyard, you'l find everything you're after in it

Yeah, I'll have to do that, I guess. I just need someone to buy my Astra. :P

Got the tracking done just there. Handed your man 40 quid which is what it normally is. He handed me back 20 and said "sure you're in the trade" and walked off. I didn't say anything. Must be the snickers pants and that I'm covered in oil! Happy days :D

Got the tracking done just there. Handed your man 40 quid which is what it normally is. He handed me back 20 and said "sure you're in the trade" and walked off. I didn't say anything. Must be the snickers pants and that I'm covered in oil! Happy days

You can't beat the snickers pants, I'd wear them to work if I could!

I would like a pair of them too. :pac:

7LqnhjU.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Don't forget the knee pads, there a must in a pair of snickers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement